It's going to be on Avenida de las Americas just south of Texas Avenue. They recently extended that part of Avenida de las Americas so that it would connect the baseball stadium and the convention center. Sounds like it will be in the median, but I'm not sure.

I remember that train from going to Hermann Park as a kid. To be honest, it never did that much for me. I was always disappointed that you couldn't climb up in it. Riding the miniature train was much more exciting!

They put it there because of the miniature train next door. But it took up prime real estate, right next to the lake. I think they're going to put in a cafe in that spot. Much better use of space.

• 1 year later...
It's going to be on Avenida de las Americas just south of Texas Avenue. They recently extended that part of Avenida de las Americas so that it would connect the baseball stadium and the convention center. Sounds like it will be in the median, but I'm not sure.

I remember that train from going to Hermann Park as a kid. To be honest, it never did that much for me. I was always disappointed that you couldn't climb up in it. Riding the miniature train was much more exciting!

They put it there because of the miniature train next door. But it took up prime real estate, right next to the lake. I think they're going to put in a cafe in that spot. Much better use of space.

I know this move was featured in A history or discovery channel episode of Mega Movers (or one of those types of shows) but I can't seem to find it. Does anyone remember seeing it off hand?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

On my daily commute through Hermann Park, I noticed they have begun digging a path for the expansion of the Hermann Park train. They are going to build a train station next to the Metro Rail station so people who ride the Metro Rail can take the Hermann Park train to the zoo, and they are building another station near Miller Outdoor Theater / Museum of Natural Science. I thought that was a cool idea. I guess people often take their kids on that little train and comment on how you can't get off when you see something interesting. Makes sense to me to do something like that. I wonder when the new train service will be running...

The little Hermann Park train that chugged and tooted its way into children's hearts for half a century will come to the end of the line Jan. 1 as workers make final preparations for the March opening of an expanded multi-purpose miniature railroad.

The new rail line comes with a host of new bells and whistles

I'm sure glad they are making improvements. Every time I ride with my kids and we go through that tunnel past the BIZARRE display windows I wonder why on earth nobody has required the owners of the concession to spruce things up.

The little Hermann Park train that chugged and tooted its way into children's hearts for half a century will come to the end of the line Jan. 1 as workers make final preparations for the March opening of an expanded multi-purpose miniature railroad.

The new rail line comes with a host of new bells and whistles

I'm sure glad they are making improvements. Every time I ride with my kids and we go through that tunnel past the BIZARRE display windows I wonder why on earth nobody has required the owners of the concession to spruce things up.

don't think they are sprucing it up but rather dozing it.

I have not been on the train in years but used to love it when I was a kid. Well, maybe I'll skip work an afternoon this week and go for one more ride. I'm all for the improvements but I just hope it does not become poisioned with corporate garbage like a Starbucks at each station. I cringe at the naming rights plan for each engine and car. It is not as insulting as the Bank of America plackard inside the San Jacinto monument but still I would have prefered for it to stay privately run instead of the city govt. taking money like a hooker and doing the bidding of the corporate sponsor John. The govt. being the middle man in the whole thing is the problem; private it was great since 57.

I guess we will have to wait and see how it turns out. Edited by LarryDallas

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Wonder what will become of the existing train and attendant fixtures. They have a certain retro charm.

I agree with dbigtex56. There are several miniature trains sitting under the train graveyard, right by the tracks. I believe one came from the old amusement park close by.

There have been some very positive improvements to the park. You can really tell when you take the train ride.

There have been some very positive improvements to the park. You can really tell when you take the train ride.

I agree. Hermann Park is quite nice these days... especially the area around the lake and the reflecting pool, which almost has a foreign feel to it. Too bad essentially only one side of the park can be developed -- N, NE side from Mosaic around to Museum of Natural Science -- because it seems like a very attractive place to put more high density residential. It is locked in on the southeast side by MacGregor/Bayou, South by TMC, West by Main St.

Currently it looks like there are 4 condo towers adjacent to the park... Warwick Towers, Mosaic, and two others that I don't know the name of?

There is the Parklane and the one that's name is it's street address on Hermann drive. I live in the hood next to the park and it's an awesome place to live. The trend seems to be more residential buildings. Since I moved here a year ago, the first tower of Mosaic was completed, as well as the Amalfi (weird name), and numerous townhouses have been built. Oh yeah and there's another apartment building under construction on San Jacinto (I forget the exact cross street). There is also an empty lot near where I live that looks perfect for some sort of residential building.

It already is an awesome neighborhood, and it's only going to get better. I can't wait for the hermann park cafe thing to be finished so I can grab a bite to eat on my way to Rice (I ride my bike through Hermann Park daily).

Edited by Jax