KOLE Port Arthur Was Sold

Anonymouse

Unless something has recently changed, that "Brokered" should be changed to "Dark". KOLE has been off the air for a long time. Probably warrants someone filing a PTD against the sale, given it's been off the air longer than a calendar year. Stan would have to verify it being operational, no chance of KOLE Port Arthur at my QSL.

It's been off and on over the last year, sometimes with content being broadcast, often with dead air. 

When KSET was on prior to their equipment problems, I let Chris know that KOLE was causing interference on 1300 in Port Arthur. 

Someone got robbed paying $400K for that pile of junk. 

$400K is a lot of dough, but it pales in comparison to the unbelievable $1.8 million that KCOH just netted for Lenard Liberman. At least KOLE isn't sitting on top of a toxic waste site, plus doesn't it have its own TX site? KCOH has to share with KLTN and now KAMA-FM.

16 hours ago, Anonymouse said:

Ugh! I hope he can get it fixed soon. One of us should invite him here, you know.

Why change the call letters?

Because there's no "CW" in KSET, perhaps? Maybe KCWB, as there's no AM facility using it currently, only an FM up in Wyoming. Don't know if he'd want to go through that kind of trouble for that particular call set, though.

Historically, 1300 was KKAS Silsbee, although I doubt a return to that set is what's up his sleeve. It is, however, available for the taking if he so chose to be nostalgic about it. Would have to return it to Silsbee as the COL to get the full effect though.

17 hours ago, stan said:

Think WLS...

I'd rather be thinking about him suddenly having the finances to swoop in and save one of our dead in the water AMs over here in Houston. :unsure:

WLS, huh? I guess so, but as much as I respect and love my brethren from Golden Triangle, Chicago it is not.

Too bad he can't get KPAC, now in San Antonio. 1250 KPAC was the legendary Top 40 in the Triangle, as I recall.

KPAC was never Top40 but more MOR...KOLE, KAYC with later KAYD joining in 78 and KLVI were the Top40 station's in the 70s..along with KWIC on the FM dial ..however, it may not be Chicago, but it will be high energy Classic Top40..& the voice of the station is WLS alumni and current WLS FM DJ/imaging voice Jeff Davis

Lol, well, goes to show how little I know about the history of the Triangle AMs. I didn't even think about KLVI, but given its low dial position and long tenure in Beaumont, it certainly adds up. With our own legendary Top 40 parked right up the dial at 61 kilocycles, and the psychedelic sounds of my older brother's radio station of choice at 101 megahertz, I never got the chance to pay much attention to KLVI or much of anything else from the east end of I-10.

That is, of course, until 1978 when I first heard the Beaumont blowtorch blasting at me from 106-1, which is what really led me to become the DXing machine that I am today. The one and only "K-106". Our own 104 KRBE had nothing on that superb take on FM Top 40, and had KIOC lit up in Houston instead of Orange, we may very well have never had the legend that was KKBQ over here, and KILT would've likely not made it out of the 70's.

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 2:24 PM, Purpledevil said:

Because there's no "CW" in KSET, perhaps? Maybe KCWB, as there's no AM facility using it currently, only an FM up in Wyoming. Don't know if he'd want to go through that kind of trouble for that particular call set, though.

Historically, 1300 was KKAS Silsbee, although I doubt a return to that set is what's up his sleeve. It is, however, available for the taking if he so chose to be nostalgic about it. Would have to return it to Silsbee as the COL to get the full effect though.

How many employees have lost their jobs or moved to other radio stations as a result ?

• The title was changed to KOLE Port Arthur Was Sold

Archived