One City Centre: Office Skyscraper At 1021 Main St.

Montrose1100

"When completed in 1961, the First City National Bank complex in Houston connected a 36-story office tower to a low-rise banking pavilion. The contrast between the two buildings is emphasized not only by their scale, but also by their careful detailing and materiality: the tower, with its recessed windows and white marble cladding, stands in deliberate opposition to the banking pavilion’s glass and steel structure. In keeping with the city’s car culture, the pavilion was designed to allow customers to complete transactions through six drive-in windows. While this portion of the complex was later demolished, the tower, now known as One City Centre, still stands as an early example of modernism in downtown Houston."

http://skidmoreowingsmerrill.tumblr.com/post/142803990147/throwback-thursday-first-city-national-bank-when

Some images have been posted before but searching for "One City Centre" yields hundreds of posts about Midway's CityCentre. Imagine that pavilion still fronting main... Sigh.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Great pictures! I had completely forgotten about those buildings on Main. The most distinctive thing to me was that weird one story connector building (Picture 2) in between the tower and the pavilion. It definitely stood out as you were driving past. I think there was some kind of retail in there at some point, can't remember what, though.          

• 2 weeks later...
On April 14, 2016 at 2:15 PM, Montrose1100 said:

"When completed in 1961, the First City National Bank complex in Houston connected a 36-story office tower to a low-rise banking pavilion. The contrast between the two buildings is emphasized not only by their scale, but also by their careful detailing and materiality: the tower, with its recessed windows and white marble cladding, stands in deliberate opposition to the banking pavilion’s glass and steel structure. In keeping with the city’s car culture, the pavilion was designed to allow customers to complete transactions through six drive-in windows. While this portion of the complex was later demolished, the tower, now known as One City Centre, still stands as an early example of modernism in downtown Houston."

http://skidmoreowingsmerrill.tumblr.com/post/142803990147/throwback-thursday-first-city-national-bank-when

Sorry if these images have been posted before but searching for "One City Centre" yields hundreds of posts about Midway's CityCentre. Imagine that pavilion still fronting main... Sigh.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I just noticed the Miesian Barcelona Chairs.. man this place had it all.

• The title was changed to One City Centre: Office Skyscraper In Downtown
  • The title was changed to One City Centre: Office Skyscraper At 1021 Main St.

Archived