KHOU-TV Departures: Doug Miller & Alice Barr leaving

Blue Dogs

Unless y'all have been living under rocks, KHOU-TV has seen 2 departures this month.

First, let's get to longtime political reporter Doug Miller, who's been with the Houston CBS station for 23 years.

Miller, according to Mike McGuff of mikemcguff.com, chose to take the TEGNA buyout offer & sources reporting that several of the station's photographers are likely following him out the door as well. He started out his journalism career as a police reporter all the way to a newspaper editor during his long decades in the Houston news trenches.

Second departure taking place at KHOU-TV is reporter Alice Barr, who was there for just a cup of coffee after 2 years (stepping stone obviously) as she's going to KXAS-TV NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth. Barr is also getting married to her fiancé, KHOU-TV photographer David Soltis this summer.

http://www.mikemcguff.blogspot.com/2016/04/alice-barr-leaves-khou-11-kxas-nbc-5-dfw.html

http://www.mikemcguff.blogspot.com/2016/04/doug-miller-leaving-khou-11-after-23-years.html

Thoughts on the departures of Barr & Miller leaving KHOU-TV ?

On 4/12/2016 at 4:13 PM, Purpledevil said:

I think I must be living under rocks. :unsure:

Nah, I just don't give a damn for ch. 11's newscasts. Then again, does anyone?

Bingo. So often when I check some of these threads, I think "who?".

While I appreciate their ability to think out of the box to an extent in terms of their presentation, relative to their TEGNA peers (based on seeing their sister stations in Dallas, St. Louis & even Abilene in the past few months), it's just another major market newscast lacking in substance. Not as bad as others in this market, but a decent departure from better days in the past.

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 0:02 AM, ChannelTwoNews said:

Bingo. So often when I check some of these threads, I think "who?".

While I appreciate their ability to think out of the box to an extent in terms of their presentation, relative to their TEGNA peers (based on seeing their sister stations in Dallas, St. Louis & even Abilene in the past few months), it's just another major market newscast lacking in substance. Not as bad as others in this market, but a decent departure from better days in the past.

Mayor Turner congratulated Doug Miller on his retirement in today's press conference.

17 hours ago, ChannelTwoNews said:

A few more on the way out, most notably Mario Gomez...

http://mikemcguff.blogspot.com/2016/04/mario-gomez-other-staffers-to-leave-khou-11.html

Oh no, not Mario!! Even though I'm not much of a KHOU watcher, especially their newscasts, Mario is one of the old school breed of weathermen...er, excuse me, meteorologists that doesn't rely on scaring the bejesus out of his viewers with the doom and gloom panic every time dark clouds gather overhead (cough, cough, Frank Billingsley). 

Just another example of why the TV at home will continue to scan right on past the station located at channel 11. Here's hoping that each of these individuals find a quick and satisfying replacement job if they so desire, or a peaceful and relaxing retirement if that is the course they so choose.

3 hours ago, Purpledevil said:

Oh no, not Mario!! Even though I'm not much of a KHOU watcher, especially their newscasts, Mario is one of the old school breed of weathermen...er, excuse me, meteorologists that doesn't rely on scaring the bejesus out of his viewers with the doom and gloom panic every time dark clouds gather overhead (cough, cough, Frank Billingsley). 

Just another example of why the TV at home will continue to scan right on past the station located at channel 11. Here's hoping that each of these individuals find a quick and satisfying replacement job if they so desire, or a peaceful and relaxing retirement if that is the course they so choose.

WHAT THE EXPLETIVE ?????? Plus, Gomez served in the United States Air Force!

Archived