CrockpotandGravel

Hotel RL & Residences @ 1005 St Emanuel Street

Still more marine mammals than the Houston aquarium

• Like 1

I am not against parking garages but I sure do wish we had some design guidelines. This thing is an eyesore. Period. It doesn't have to be. We just accept it because developers in this town are free to go cheap. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, KinkaidAlum said:

I am not against parking garages but I sure do wish we had some design guidelines. This thing is an eyesore. Period. It doesn't have to be. We just accept it because developers in this town are free to go cheap. 

Lyric garage is the gold standard for Houston and everyone should take notes...

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Luminare said:

Its almost as if, the whale is a metaphor for the size of the parking garage itself. I don't know whether that was some inside joke, or irony, but its pretty funny.

Add in the fact that a killer whale is technically a dolphin—it hits on a lot of levels.

Hmm may not happen anytime soon..

https://houston.novusagenda.com/agendapublic/CoverSheet.aspx?ItemID=16665&MeetingID=358

RECOMMENDATION:  Approve and authorize a Parking License Agreement between Kim Hung Development, Inc. (Licensor) and City of Houston (Licensee) for surface parking located at 1005 Saint Emanuel Street, for the Administration and Regulatory Affairs (ARA) Department.

SPECIFIC EXPLANATION:  The General Services Department recommends approval of a Parking License Agreement with Kim Hung Development, Inc. to utilize 25 parking spaces at 1005 Saint Emanuel Street for the employees of the Parking Management Division of ARA, whose offices are located at 2020 McKinney Street, across the street from the parking lot.

The proposed Agreement provides for an initial term of five years with an extended term of five years on the same terms and conditions.  The monthly parking fee is $1,725.00; ($69/per space; $20,700/year) during the first year, with 3% annual increases thereafter. The initial term will commence on the first date of the first full month after the date of countersignature of the City Controller. 

Either party may terminate this Parking License Agreement at any time, without cause or penalty, by providing 90 days prior written notice to the other party. 

Houston: let eliminate parking minimums in east downtown & midtown

Also Houston: we need more parking lets build a surface lot in middle of a burgeoning neighborhood

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, cspwal said:

Also Houston: we need more parking lets build a surface lot in middle of a burgeoning neighborhood

They honestly should just wait until they make a decision on the parking mins in this area. That will ultimately determine how much they are going to need. Many don't know this, but each parking stall costs about $10,000 - $12,000 each. Developers will gladly take a reduced min if that means they can save or swing that funding somewhere else.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, cspwal said:

For the record, this seems to pertain to the existing parking lot in front of the commercial building that takes up most of the block. Also, 25 parking spots is only a portion of the existing lot.

The bigger takeaway is the fact that the City facility that will be utilizing this parking on a five-year contract term is in the direct path of the I-45 reroute project. That suggests that we’re looking at five years or more before businesses between St. Emanuel and Chartres get taken by eminent domain and torn down to make way for construction, which seems to me to be a bit behind the proposed schedule.

Edited by thedistrict84
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, thedistrict84 said:

For the record, this seems to pertain to the existing parking lot in front of the commercial building that takes up most of the block. Also, 25 parking spots is only a portion of the existing lot.

The bigger takeaway is the fact that the City facility that will be utilizing this parking on a five-year contract term is in the direct path of the I-45 reroute project. That suggests that we’re looking at five years or more before businesses between St. Emanuel and Chartres get taken by eminent domain and torn down to make way for construction, which seems to me to be a bit behind the proposed schedule.

I wouldn't read too much into that.  Even if you are right about this being behind the proposed schedule, there may well be an early termination option for certain circumstances.