CrockpotandGravel

Hotel RL & Residences @ 1005 St Emanuel Street

12 hours ago, UtterlyUrban said:

If this is “opposite” of the east end, can you define for me what you believe the east end to be?  I am trying to parse if the building girth is at the root of your dislike or the building design (or, possibly something else?).

why is this “everything that is opposite of the east end”?

I think it is the glass circle. It just doesn't work. The east end to me is more unique. While this building is unique, it's Dallas 1990s ugly. I wouldn't mind the rest of the tower part and would hope the street level would add good street art and other pieces that are currently all over the east side. The Dynamo have done relatively good with connecting with the neighborhood.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thatguysly said:

I think it is the glass circle. It just doesn't work. The east end to me is more unique. While this building is unique, it's Dallas 1990s ugly. I wouldn't mind the rest of the tower part and would hope the street level would add good street art and other pieces that are currently all over the east side. The Dynamo have done relatively good with connecting with the neighborhood.

I agree! This project is suitable for Memorial City, across the freeway from the hospital. I would love it there. However, I would rather see The Chelsea and the other twin apartment brick building in Montrose in this project’s place, instead, because it fits EaDo better. 

• Like 1

I like what this would add to the convention district in terms of Hotel rooms and additional residents are always welcome.  But, this will be aweful for the funky streetscape of the developing EADO neighborhood.  Granted, it is hard to tell what the east side will offer...but, I doubt that it will be kind...Not with what the rest of the design seems to indicate.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thatguysly said:

Thank you.  I understand now.

I love Texas as anyone else, but I'd be angry if a giant flag were blocking my view after paying serious money. If it were displayed for special occasions, okay, but not everyday.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Twinsanity02 said:

I love Texas as anyone else, but I'd be angry if a giant flag were blocking my view after paying serious money. If it were displayed for special occasions, okay, but not everyday.

This is the plot of a late-season Frasier. 

• Haha 5

21 hours ago, thatguysly said:

I want to like it but just can't. I wish they would take into account the neighborhood they are in because this is everything that is opposite of east end.

I too have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, a large-scale residential property like this will necessarily drive further (and possibly quicker) development in EaDo and the neighboring area. And GFR space would be for a grocery store, which is desperately needed in the area.

But. . . a high rise? In EaDo? Something 30+ stories is going to look weird here when the closest (new) developments within several blocks, in any direction, are maybe five stories, tops. Do we really need to build high rises EVERYWHERE in this city?

(Yes, I understand the economics of building vertical from a land acquisition point of view. I’m just venting)

That reminds me, is the Ivy Lofts development dead dead? Or just sort of dead?

9 minutes ago, thedistrict84 said:

image.png.bab44edb73dd76cb13b15f2592013f33.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, thedistrict84 said:

They don't have any more listings on HAR and I didn't see their sign last time I drove down Leeland

It's designed for the people zooming past on the freeway, not the people walking alongside it. 

This area has a good amount of foot traffic, especially on weekends and game days. I'd rather see this as a midrise, or, if need be, 5-story podium with a tower on top (which to a pedestrian looks about the same as a midrise).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Angostura said:

It's designed for the people zooming past on the freeway, not the people walking alongside it. 

This area has a good amount of foot traffic, especially on weekends and game days. I'd rather see this as a midrise, or, if need be, 5-story podium with a tower on top (which to a pedestrian looks about the same as a midrise).

That’s my thought too, but it will be rather difficult to see at all from the submerged I-45/59/I-69 corridor if/when the reroute project is completed. 

A project which, as a reminder, would also take out the full block across from this . . . thing . . . on St. Emanuel. That should really destroy walkability when St. Emanuel will basically be transformed into a feeder/access road, so maybe they don’t particularly care what it looks like from street level.

Currently this site has a full block abandoned shopping center on it, with a good third of it a surface lot.  These developers are going to build a high rise hotel, probably with at least one ground floor restaurant or bar, right in the middle of this developing neighborhood.  How is this universally bad?  If this was being built in midtown, it would be seen as great.  Granted, the design isn't the best looking, but at least it's not a beige box, or a 5 story stucco hotel in the middle of a parking lot.  They're trying something different, and it may not look right, but it might also turn out good

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, cspwal said:

If this was being built in midtown, it would be seen as great.  

Would they be willing to take it? :lol:

All jokes aside, it’s just another example of a developer maximizing profit by shoehorning a development into a neighborhood it doesn’t necessarily fit, mostly because they can buy the land cheaper than other areas. A 30+ story tower doesn’t fit the character of EaDo in any way, shape, or form. This would be a great addition (after a reworking of that . . . design?) in downtown, Midtown, along Allen Parkway, etc. 

Of course I would like to see that lot developed too, but would prefer something that fits the true character of EaDo (and isn’t 30+ stories tall).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, thedistrict84 said:

Would they be willing to take it? :lol:

All jokes aside, it’s just another example of a developer maximizing profit by shoehorning a development into a neighborhood it doesn’t necessarily fit, mostly because they can buy the land cheaper than other areas. A 30+ story tower doesn’t fit the character of EaDo in any way, shape, or form. This would be a great addition (after a reworking of that . . . design?) in downtown, Midtown, along Allen Parkway, etc. 

Of course I would like to see that lot developed too, but would prefer something that fits the true character of EaDo (and isn’t 30+ stories tall).

This is the first block that won't get demolished for the highway expansion. It has to be a long term plan. It'll have direct line of sight to downtown and will be 250ish feet walk from GRB. I think a renovation of the GRB west facade is being considered as part of the project as well. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, wilcal said:

This is the first block that won't get demolished for the highway expansion. It has to be a long term plan. It'll have direct line of sight to downtown and will be 250ish feet walk from GRB. I think a renovation of the GRB west facade is being considered as part of the project as well. 

I am aware, as I mentioned the reroute project a post or two above the one from which you quoted.

I agree that it would be wonderful to have GRB, MMP, BBVA, Toyota Center, Discovery Green, and the hotels connect, but that is contingent on the proposed green space cap over the freeway reroute actually getting done.

Everything that I have seen indicates that the concrete freeway cap itself is built into the plans, and the cost has been accounted for. However, the green space or other improvements on top of the cap are not, and rely on separate, private funding which may not materialize.

If the green space cap does not happen, and these areas are not connected as planned, it will almost certainly have a detrimental effect on continued development in EaDo.

And then we will be stuck with a 30 story tower that sticks out like a sore thumb. . .

Edited by thedistrict84
  • Like 1

What would be perfect for this area would be for Liz Lambert who owns the San Jose in Austin , El Cosmic and the Thunderbird Motel in Marfa ,and the Hotel Havana in San Antonio, where we stayed last weekend. She is a very savvy hotelier that creates a very bohemian down-home feel kind of place. I heard she is now developing a new hotel in Houston's Montrose area which is perfect. Thats what the East End needs.

Edited by bobruss
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, bobruss said:

What would be perfect for this area would be for Liz Lambert who owns the San Jose in Austin , El Cosmic and the Thunderbird Motel in Marfa ,and the Hotel Havana in San Antonio, where we stayed last weekend. She is a very savvy hotelier that creates a very bohemian down-home feel kind of place. I heard she is now developing a new hotel in Houston's Montrose area which is perfect. Thats what the East End needs.

I don't think that's on track anymore because rumors had it was going to go where Goodnigh Charlies new parking lot is.... 

49 minutes ago, thedistrict84 said:

But that is contingent on the proposed green space cap over the freeway reroute actually getting done.

They're going to build roads across no matter what. It's still less than 100 yards from GRB. Somehow I think hotels two blocks away are still going to be used for convention guests. 

If the green space cap does not happen, and these areas are not connected as planned, it will almost certainly have a detrimental effect on continued development in EaDo.

I mean, It's not going so badly with a highway and a Chartres in-between right now. Can't imagine how a capped highway would add detriment. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, wilcal said:

They're going to build roads across no matter what. It's still less than 100 yards from GRB. Somehow I think hotels two blocks away are still going to be used for convention guests. 

That doesn’t sound like a very scenic walk, what with all the concrete everywhere. Plus, you cannot build structures on the cap, so there would be nothing in terms of restaurants, bars, etc. between this proposed hotel and the convention center. And, consider where the current entrances are (although as someone mentioned earlier, they are looking to redo the facade and hopefully create entrances).

I would think most people visiting for the convention center would choose one of the many hotels on the other side, near Discovery Green, closer to GRB and various amenities.

Also, proposed ROW is 550’ near GRB, or nearly 200 yards—twice the distance you state.

25 minutes ago, wilcal said:

I mean, It's not going so badly with a highway and a Chartres in-between right now. Can't imagine how a capped highway would add detriment. 

Chartres currently is very similar to what St. Emanuel will be after the reroute. There are few places to cross. Cars frequently drive through there at 40+ MPH despite the speed limit. It’s a bit of a dangerous road.

How much development has there been on the southeast side of Chartres, in terms of buildings fronting Chartres? None. It’s not very walkable at all.

My fear is that this is exactly what would become of St. Emanuel after the reroute, and businesses currently fronting it (including the new East Village development) will be much less appealing, business will suffer, and some of these businesses will not survive (assuming they even survive the years of construction this project will entail).

The other part of this is the loss of something on the order of 18 blocks from EaDo for the required extended ROW. I’ve seen it mentioned (either here or Swamplot) that this is about a 12-15% reduction in the total area of EaDo. That is a fairly significant loss of land.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, iah77 said:

I don't think that's on track anymore because rumors had it was going to go where Goodnigh Charlies new parking lot is.... 

There is new construction in front of Goodnight Charlies where Buffalo exchange used to be. The area is fenced off but I looked over the fence and they have dug a 10--ft(?) hole and already put the plastic liner down and poured some concrete. I haven't been able to determine what is being constructed at that location but with the subgrade construction it won't be another strip center.

• Like 2

"Doesn't fit the character of EaDo."

Maybe this is simply initiation of a new character? 

• Like 2

Yes it is.  Some interesting tidbits

The Kim Hung Market occupied the site for years and will be leveled to make way for the 27-floor tower. But Lee says that doesn't mean the end for the market, which is no longer open to the public but serves as a grocery warehouse for suppliers. It will be incorporated into the first floor of the building.

Looks like the flag is a stand in for a revolving cast of banners

In the shared rendering there is a large Texas flag hanging in the middle of the facade but Lee said that once the building is completed sometime in 2023 it will change with the seasons. Decorations  honoring holidays and special events like sports playoffs will be commemorated in that spot.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 6:49 PM, Sanjorade said:

Screen Shot 2017-03-14 at 6.47.58 PM.png

So they went from starting in 2018 to starting in 2020 and not being done until 2023. That freaking sucks.

• Like 2

Pretty odd the architect is the one quoted on this and not the developer. I'm still pretty skeptical about this ever getting off the ground. 

Edited by hammi
  • Like 1

I know everyone loves skyscrapers and big developments, but I don't think that this project really fits with the surrounding neighborhood and would only bring in more of the same and you would lose that edgy feel that gives EADO its vibe. Plus it's just so commercial and smacks of Kitsch. Like I said earlier something like the San Jose in Austin, or the Hotal Havana in San Antonio, both small boutique hotels, would fit in and add to the bohemian qualities that give EADO its funk. The rendering looks like it should be on the Kemah boardwalk or across from the Galveston amusement park pier. Liz Lambert could come up with something that was hip and draw tourists.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bobruss said:

I know everyone loves skyscrapers and big developments, but I don't think that this project really fits with the surrounding neighborhood and would only bring in more of the same and you would lose that edgy feel that gives EADO its vibe. Plus it's just so commercial and smacks of Kitsch. Like I said earlier something like the San Jose in Austin, or the Hotal Havana in San Antonio, both small boutique hotels, would fit in and add to the bohemian qualities that give EADO its funk. The rendering looks like it should be on the Kemah boardwalk or across from the Galveston amusement park pier. Liz Lambert could come up with something that was hip and draw tourists.

Same difference.

No comparison. Have you ever been to one of her Inns?  Lambert hotels are small bohemian, hip places to stay. They are nothing like this rendering. If you have  ever stayed in one of her inns you would know what I'm talking about.

Her largest the Havana Hotel in San Antonio is in a very old building of 3 floors. Its just a neat place to stay. They're nothing like this place. This will destroy the scale of EADO and ruin its funky energy.

11 hours ago, AnTonY said:

Same difference.

@bobruss

I personally have no issue with EaDo (and Houston in general) exploding with high rises like one of those Asian cities, so I couldn't see that much of an issue with this project. But I can see why you'd dislike this project given your views of EaDo's vibe. So it's a fair point on your part.

• Like 2

On 5/31/2018 at 3:53 PM, thedistrict84 said:

That doesn’t sound like a very scenic walk, what with all the concrete everywhere.

No different than anywhere else in Downtown besides Discovery Green?

Plus, you cannot build structures on the cap

Might be, but the future downtown renderings has at least part of a luxury hotel and some other structures built on the cap.

xBbboZC.jpg

I would think most people visiting for the convention center would choose one of the many hotels on the other side, near Discovery Green, closer to GRB and various amenities.

I totally agree, but there isn't enough capacity at the moment. The little old ladies have to stay all over town for their quilt festival.

Also, proposed ROW is 550’ near GRB, or nearly 200 yards—twice the distance you state.

You're totally right. It's still only 2 blocks though.

Chartres currently is very similar to what St. Emanuel will be after the reroute. There are few places to cross. Cars frequently drive through there at 40+ MPH despite the speed limit. It’s a bit of a dangerous road.

Both Lamar and McKinney will have crossings. St. Emmanuel will only be 2 or 3 lanes (depending on the section) though, down from the five that Chartres is currently. 

How much development has there been on the southeast side of Chartres, in terms of buildings fronting Chartres? None. It’s not very walkable at all.

It's because they all built one block over on St. Emmanuel which will be the new front. There's what, 10 new bars/restaurants in the past 2-3 years?

The other part of this is the loss of something on the order of 18 blocks from EaDo for the required extended ROW. I’ve seen it mentioned (either here or Swamplot) that this is about a 12-15% reduction in the total area of EaDo. That is a fairly significant loss of land.

True, but 5 of those blocks are currently parking lots! And I would be shocked if the city/county/state can't come up with the money to transform the 10 blocks that should be recovered from the cap. I know there's no funding, but I'll skew away from being pessimistic here! 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

From Loopnet:

EaDo Central or Central EaDo at 1005 St. Emanuel St, Houston

Property Type Retail    
Property Sub-type Freestanding

Gross Leasable Area 54,418 SF    
Total Land Area 1.45 AC

Year Built

Proposed retail and restaurants shown in renderings:

• Fadi's
  • Gen Korean BBQ
  • Torchy's Tacos
  • Gong Cha
  • AT&T
  • Dunkin' Donuts
  • Banh Mi ETC

Renderings of the new proposed re-adaptive development and retail for 1005 St. Emanuel in Houston.

yfNIvqP.jpg

(direct to image, shows the full sized image and ability to zoom in: https://i.imgur.com/yfNIvqP.jpg )

wtgqspT.jpg

(direct to image, shows the full sized image and ability to zoom in: https://i.imgur.com/wtgqspT.jpg )

ytTMduB.jpg

(direct to image, shows the full sized image and ability to zoom in: https://i.imgur.com/ytTMduB.jpg )

Lq08tDx.jpg

(direct to image, shows the full sized image and ability to zoom in: https://i.imgur.com/Lq08tDx.jpg )

Edited by CrockpotandGravel
  • Like 5

25 minutes ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

From Loopnet:

EaDo Central or Central EaDo at 1005 St. Emanuel St, Houston

Property Type Retail    
Property Sub-type Freestanding

Gross Leasable Area 54,418 SF    
Total Land Area 1.45 AC

Year Built

Proposed retail and restaurants shown in renderings:

• Fadi's
  • Gen Korean BBQ
  • Torchy's Tacos
  • Gong Cha
  • AT&T
  • Dunkin' Donuts
  • Banh Mi ETC

Renderings of the new proposed re-adaptive development and retail for 1005 St. Emanuel in Houston.

yfNIvqP.jpg

wtgqspT.jpg

ytTMduB.jpg

Lq08tDx.jpg

Can’t wait to see that giant whale photo in person. Lol

• Like 2

Wouldn't you know the first major project, post BBVA, would be a parking garage. Just the opposite of what this area should be about.

I hope they soften the pedestrian level (brick from one of the old buildings torn down would be nice, and make it as comfortable as possible. Nice wide sidewalks.

I don't trust renderings.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pablog said:

Can’t wait to see that giant whale photo in person. Lol

Can the construction permit be contingent on the whale being present?

1 hour ago, cspwal said:

Idk but most definitely should be. Without it it’s just another whale-less parking garage... it’d be a shame

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bobruss said:

Wouldn't you know the first major project, post BBVA, would be a parking garage. Just the opposite of what this area should be about.

I hope they soften the pedestrian level (brick from one of the old buildings torn down would be nice, and make it as comfortable as possible. Nice wide sidewalks.

Honestly EaDo probably needed a parking garage at some point to continue to grow.  It will let more surface lots become actual developments.  It would be nice if the garage was such a PoS

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cspwal said:

Idk but most definitely should be. Without it it’s just another whale-less parking garage... it’d be a shame

2 hours ago, cspwal said:

5 hours ago, bobruss said:

This area is going to need to go vertical when it comes to parking if we’re wanting to see other lots redeveloped. If the city would hurry the hell up and remove parking minimums from EaDo and Midtown then we can expect even greater things. Idk what’s taking so long. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, cspwal said:

Its almost as if, the whale is a metaphor for the size of the parking garage itself. I don't know whether that was some inside joke, or irony, but its pretty funny.

• Like 1

We are going to need a parking garage in this area so as long as there are street level retail I'm ok with it. 

• Like 2

Is there still a small hotel planned as part of the East Village development?  I think it would work well here, especially given the proximity to the convention center

13 hours ago, Luminare said:

Its almost as if, the whale is a metaphor for the size of the parking garage itself. I don't know whether that was some inside joke, or irony, but its pretty funny.

Add in the fact that a killer whale is technically a dolphin—it hits on a lot of levels.