CrockpotandGravel

Hotel RL & Residences @ 1005 St Emanuel Street

East Downtown is getting a hotel near Warehouse Live, across from the East Village mixed-use development. Red Lion Hotel will be located at 1005 St Emanuel in EaDo.

From Houston Business Journal:

A Spokane, Washington-based hospitality company plans to open a new hotel in downtown Houston in the second half of 2018.

Red Lion Hotels Corp. (NYSE: RLH) will build its 10th Hotel RL at 1005 St. Emanuel St. Hotel RL Houston Downtown will have 150 guest rooms, retail space and a signature restaurant and bar.

The hotel will also feature meeting areas, a business center and a fitness center.

Red Lion Hotels operates 125 hotels in the U.S. The Hotel RL will be the company's first location in Houston and third in Texas. Red Lion currently operates two hotels in El Paso under its Guesthouse brand.

Hotel RL Houston Downtown will enter the downtown market after a number of new hotels open in time for the 2017 Super Bowl.

kzMqBbW.jpg

cqQusFh.jpg

ji8H8dE.jpg

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, cspwal said:

What's there now?  Google streetview shows "Kim Hung Market"

3 minutes ago, Texasota said:

Yes. Defunct grocery store

Yes, the Kim Hung Market. Sorry for leaving out a map. I'll add one.

From the press release yesterday:

RLHC (Red Lion Hotels Corporation) (NYSE:RLH) announced today its tenth location for the Hotel RL brand will be constructed in downtown Houston, Texas.

"The downtown area is a hub for sports, leisure and entertainment, thus an ideal setting for the Hotel RL brand," said Brian Quinn, RLHC Senior Vice President and Chief Franchise Officer. "We see artistic components like the Living Stage and our signature coffeehouse experience aligning well with guests and the local community."

Set to open in the second half of 2018, the future Hotel RL Houston Downtown will have 150 guest rooms, a retail space, the signature Hotel RL restaurant and bar, meeting areas, business center and fitness center. The property will be located at 1005 St. Emanuel Street, ten miles from Houston Hobby Airport and within walking distance to BBVA Compass Stadium, Toyota Center, Minute Maid Park and the George R. Brown Convention Center

With the addition of the Houston property, the collection of Hotel RL locations will span current locations in Washington D.C. and Baltimore as well as upcoming locations in Spokane, Olympia, Salt Lake City, College Station, St. Louis, Brooklyn, and Long Island City.

• Like 1

This is a really great location for a boutique hotel. The St Emmanuel corridor could rival the best in the city if TXDOT wasn't planning on destroying it.

• Like 1

Confused why people think this is bad.... the highway expansion wouldn't affect this property.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HNathoo said:

This is a really great location for a boutique hotel. The St Emmanuel corridor could rival the best in the city if TXDOT wasn't planning on destroying it.

With the new proposed development, one has to wonder if the increased compensation required for takings of ROW will kill the proposal.

Just spent a few minutes looking at the Hotel RL in Baltimore. I had no idea Red Lion was doing something so neat. If ours is half as nice, this will be stellar. The rooms, bathrooms, coffee shop, lobby, and vibe looks really nice.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Triton said:

Confused why people think this is bad.... the highway expansion wouldn't affect this property.

I think it's great, but the TXDOT project will take everything on the other side of St Emmanuel. I was just stating that it sucks to lose such a great street (at least one side)

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Texasota said:

Yes. Defunct grocery store

49 minutes ago, sdotwill84 said:

patiently waiting for an east downtown grocery store.

then my friends...we can say we have arrived.

Defunct? Seriously? This grocery store is no HEB or Whole Foods, but I went in there recently and it has a lot of great potential. Why are we ok with destroying elements that MADE this neighborhood what it is? The Asian community made the East End unique and I was able to buy what I needed. 

Oh I agree, I just hadn't been in there in a long time and I genuinely thought it was closed. I hadn't seen any activity over there in a while. 

But yeah, the transformation of Old Chinatown to EaDo is something I definitely have mixed feelings about.

If this hotel has an urban design, it will represent a landmark moment for East Downtown.  At 150 rooms plus retail, I'm guessing this will be in the neighborhood of 8-10 stories.

33 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Defunct? Seriously? This grocery store is no HEB or Whole Foods, but I went in there recently and it has a lot of great potential. Why are we ok with destroying elements that MADE this neighborhood what it is? The Asian community made the East End unique and I was able to buy what I needed. 

geesh. sorry for wanting a grocery store experience that i can seem to get everywhere in houston but East Downtown. 

1 hour ago, sdotwill84 said:

geesh. sorry for wanting a grocery store experience that i can seem to get everywhere in houston but East Downtown. 

Lol I'm just saying... I mean seeing this grocery store go I think is a loss more than a gain. Why can't they redevelop on a lot with nothing existing already or even revamp another old warehouse. 

understandable.

with east downtown in a slowwwww transition, you're going to get a mix of repurposed buildings along with teardowns/newbuilds.

5 hours ago, sdotwill84 said:

understandable.

with east downtown in a slowwwww transition, you're going to get a mix of repurposed buildings along with teardowns/newbuilds.

Yeah true... I know this is sort of irrelevant to what we are talking about but I sorta wish the city would start considering entrances to these neighborhoods like you see in other cities. Make each one distinctive so people know where they are at. Anyways I agree, a lot has to change and some stuff just has to go. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 1

I think the 16 story tower in the back is probably a residential component, or maybe a phase 2. The 180 room hotel looks like it'll be the shorter building - I'm basing this on the size/footprint.

The Balconies on the taller building tell me that it is residential.  City Hotel's rarely have balconies anymore.  pity.  

• Like 1

I thought everything I read was saying the hotel market was becoming over saturated.  This hotel looks nice, but I would be surprised if construction starts soon (hopefully I'm wrong).  

I was browsing hotel market researcher and brokerage DP Consulting's website and saw this:

Market Study and Valuation of Red Lion Hotel Galleria - Houston, Texas

I don't know if this means Red Lion Hotels is exploring their options to open in the Galleria area or not. I don't know how old this is either but I found it interesting.

Edited by CrockpotandGravel
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

I was browsing hotel market researcher and brokerage DP Consulting's website and saw this:

I don't know if this means Red Lion Hotels is exploring their options to open in the Galleria area or not. I don't know how old this is either but I found it interesting.

It could also be a reference to the former Red Lion hotel, which is now the Hotel Derek.

• Like 3

On 5/29/2016 at 9:47 AM, ChannelTwoNews said:

It could also be a reference to the former Red Lion hotel, which is now the Hotel Derek.

I forgot about that hotel. You could be correct.

On 4/12/2016 at 5:37 PM, Urbannizer said:

The article is no longer available but here's an archived link of it:

Hotel RL to Introduce Downtown Houston Location

Red Lion Hotels has announced plans to develop its tenth Hotel RL location in downtown Houston.

The 180-guestroom Hotel RL Houston Downtown will house retail space, meeting areas, business and fitness centers, and a signature restaurant and bar. Located at 1005 St. Emanuel Street, the hotel will be walking distance from landmarks like the BBVA Compass Stadium, Toyota Center, Minute Maid Park, and the George R. Brown Convention Center. Red Lion also plans to include the brand coffeehouse as well as its Living Stage event series, which showcases live events, from keynotes to hands-on demonstrations.

"The downtown area is a hub for sports, leisure, and entertainment, thus an ideal setting for the Hotel RL brand," says Brian Quinn, RLHC’s senior vice president and chief franchise officer. "We see artistic components like the Living Stage and our signature coffeehouse experience aligning well with guests and the local community."

The hospitality brand operates 125 hotels with upcoming locations in Washington State, Texas, New York, and Missouri. The Hotel RL Houston Downtown is slated for completion in 2018.

Rendering of RL Hotel Houston or Red Lion Hotel Houston in EaDo:

bm7y795.png

• Like 3

I've been wondering about this one. However, if that rendering was anything close to correct, they'll need to jump now to get that down by this time next year...

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Mr.Clean19 said:

Wont the TXDOT reroute go right through this building?

No, it's one block east of the proposed reroute.

On 11/22/2016 at 2:51 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

Another rendering that shows a close up of RL Hotel a little (originally posted in the East Village thread)

gt6Jfsd.jpg

1 hour ago, Mr.Clean19 said:

Wont the TXDOT reroute go right through this building?

38 minutes ago, Sanjorade said:

No, it's one block east of the proposed reroute.

correct, if you look at the rendering quoted, this is looking south down st emanuel. assuming the 45 realignment happens, everything on the right will be freeway.

• Like 4

This project will also feature 180 condos, and 40,000 sq feet of retail, with 25,000-,30,000 dedicated to a grocer.

A second rough rendering can be found on pg 62 of this document: http://www.tulsadevelopmentauthority.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Pine-Place-Development.pdf

http://pineplacedev.com/projects

Hotel
Red Lion Hotels will build its first Houston location, the upscale boutique hotel concept, “Hotel RL” .”Houston is the most diverse city in Texas, thus an ideal setting for the Hotel RL brand,” said Brian Quinn, RLHC Senior Vice President and Chief Franchise Officer.

Set to open in the second half of 2018, the future Hotel RL will have 150 guest rooms, retail space, restaurant and bar, meeting areas, business center and fitness center.

The property will be located at 1005 St. Emanuel Street, in the up and coming EaDo District, ten miles from Houston Hobby Airport and within walking distance to BBVA Compass Stadium, Toyota Center, Minute Maid Park and the George R. Brown Convention Center. It will be Red Lion’s third Texas hotel and 125th nationwide.

Multi-Family
The Kim Hung project includes 180 high-end condominium units ranging from 650 SF to 1,150SF. Studio, 1 BR and 2 BR units, with multiple floorplans available. 24/7 concierge and security. Stunning views of the downtown skyline, Houston Medical Center, and the Houston Ship Channel.

Retail
Over 40,000 SF of retail space, including 25,000 SF - 30,000 SF allotted for a full-service grocer.

• Like 4

This sounds AMAZEBALLS.

I've heard great things about their Baltimore Inner Harbor location and I see they've now opened in Brooklyn and DuPont Circle in DC. Hipster paradises rather than heart of biz districts seems to be the ammo and East 69 fits that bill with Warehouse Live, Tout Suite, 8th Wonder, New Potato, etc...

1 hour ago, Urbannizer said:

This project will also feature 180 condos, and 40,000 sq feet of retail, with 25,000-,30,000 dedicated to a grocer.

A second rough rendering can be found on pg 62 of this document: http://www.tulsadevelopmentauthority.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Pine-Place-Development.pdf

I thought Johnson Development was doing the Imperial Sugar Factory redevelopment. I don't think I've ever heard of Pine Place Development - probably not a good sign if their claim to fame is building a Candlewood Suites in 2006. 

7 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

U59gR0w.jpg

By6xGeA.jpg

I'm not overly excited about these Red Lion Hotel (RL Hotel) renderings. Maybe I need to see a few interior renderings but for now...moo.

*That should be m*e*h* not moo but the forum changes it to moo automatically for some strange reason.

Edited by CrockpotandGravel
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Naviguessor said:

"Stunning views of the Ship Channel"?  Oh really?  From EaDo?  Mmmkayyy. 

Maybe the rendering is wrong and it will actually be 102 stories tall

2 hours ago, Naviguessor said:

"Stunning views of the Ship Channel"?  Oh really?  From EaDo?  Mmmkayyy. 

It's only maybe 4 miles to the turning basin from there.  It doesn't seem that far-fetched that they might be able to see the Ship Channel from the upper floors (and they may well have in mind the lights along the Ship Channel.)