CrockpotandGravel

Hotel RL & Residences @ 1005 St Emanuel Street

BigFootsSocks    2,852

Ohhhh yeah you're right, I do remember that now. For some reason ther name popped up on an article or an HCAD listing after that hote was announced.

Thanks for clearing this up!

asubrt    280

I thought for a moment the rendering was zooming in on a Texas flag on the side of the building for some reason. Looks very strange.

• Like 7

dbigtex56    302
2 hours ago, asubrt said:

I thought for a moment the rendering was zooming in on a Texas flag on the side of the building for some reason. Looks very strange.

Indeed it does, like one of those kitchen gadgets that no one uses, or exercise equipment for lab animals.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

monarch    2,928

icon_magnify_glass.png

^^^ who, what, when, where, why?

• Like 1

houstontexasjack    1,227

In this design’s defense, it at least evokes a significant emotional response, instead of the shoulder shrugs I have with most new residential designs. I’m not really sure what to make of the glass circle in the center of the building. I don’t like the present plan to frame the Texas flag, but, with tweaks, I think it has the potential to be pretty neat. For example, if the circle were to frame a translucent material that might allow for projections. It could then serve as a sort of “Gateway to EaDo.”

• Like 1

UtterlyUrban    1,525

This project was seemingly announced two years ago.

when I see yellow iron on the site digging a hole, it will be time to get excited.  Until then, it’s just photoshop.

• Like 2

mkultra25    605
16 hours ago, dbigtex56 said:

Indeed it does, like one of those kitchen gadgets that no one uses, or exercise equipment for lab animals.

Soon to be rebranded "The Habitrail at St. Emanuel"

101177._AC_SL1500_V1464807071_.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

ArtNsf    232
On 5/26/2018 at 4:58 PM, Urbannizer said:

Now up to 27-stories

http://stoaintl.com/design/mixed-use/

Kim-Hung-hotel-side-with-tx-flag-768x768

just remove the stupid circle thing with the flag and you've got an incredibly handsome building that fits in well with 21st century (yet classic) architecture !

• Like 2

intencity77    167

For me it’s the flag more so than the circular feature. The flag just looks downright cheesy displayed in this manner on the building. 

• Like 4

cspwal    2,140

I doubt they would actually have the flag there - more likely it will be a banner that changes for different events - e.g. a giant Astros banner during the playoffs, a huge American flag on the 4th of July, etc.

• Like 2

intencity77    167
2 minutes ago, cspwal said:

I doubt they would actually have the flag there - more likely it will be a banner that changes for different events - e.g. a giant Astros banner during the playoffs, a huge American flag on the 4th of July, etc.

True and likely, but I’m solely giving my two cents based on this rendering alone.

• Like 2

j_cuevas713    1,251
On 5/26/2018 at 6:20 PM, houstontexasjack said:

I’m not a fan. Looks like something scraped out of the worst aspects of Dallas.

OMG on point hahaha

• Like 1

Avossos    1,069

Post Moderninsm has had its day... These seems only half arsed post mod architecture...

• Like 1

Eastdwntwn    59

This is the last lot on St. Emanuel between Polk and Texas that sits idle. I wish they would actually start some type of work on it.

• Like 2

Purdueenginerd    767

The circle/magnifying glass I kind of like. The flag is out of place. Weird nationalism you'd see in a dystopian movie or book. 

Dont think that would last past the first maintenance cycle before it got removed. 

• Like 6

thatguysly    388

I want to like it but just can't. I wish they would take into account the neighborhood they are in because this is everything that is opposite of east end.

• Like 4

UtterlyUrban    1,525
6 hours ago, thatguysly said:

I want to like it but just can't. I wish they would take into account the neighborhood they are in because this is everything that is opposite of east end.

If this is “opposite” of the east end, can you define for me what you believe the east end to be?  I am trying to parse if the building girth is at the root of your dislike or the building design (or, possibly something else?).

why is this “everything that is opposite of the east end”?