CrockpotandGravel

Hotel RL Houston | 1005 St Emanuel St | EaDo | Hotel + Residential

Beautiful glowing views of flaming flare stacks, black smoke, and petrochemical facilities while you wine and dine!

"oh oh, honey, come look at the latest fireball!"

:wub:

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Purdueenginerd said:

Beautiful glowing views of flaming flare stacks, black smoke, and petrochemical facilities while you wine and dine!

"oh oh, honey, come look at the latest fireball!"

:wub:

I attended an event at the "faculty club" or somesuch at the top floor of a relatively tall building on the campus of Lamar University in Beaumont. The sea of twinkling lights of the plants had kind of a neat effect at night, though by day I would imagine it would be a bit less aesthetically pleasing.

• Like 1

yeah, I agree. I used to work out in deer park and at night it was kind of neat appealing. But on the other hand, everytime there was a flare event it reminded me of the opening scene of Blade Runner. 

Edited by Purdueenginerd
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Purdueenginerd said:

yeah, I agree. I used to work out in deer park and at night it was kind of neat appearing. But on the other hand, everytime there was a flare event it reminded me of the opening scene of Blade Runner. 

I grew up in Pasadena.

Totally the Blade Runner mise-en-scene down there. 

• Like 3

If memory serves, this would survive the reroute of I-45.  If a green space cap were constructed over the freeway as has been proposed, this would have access to some very nice park space.

• Like 3

I wish that there was a good view of the Ship Channel.  I would pay extra for a Ship Channel View.  Seeing the ships arrive, work and depart, the view of the sunrise or sunset over the channel.  The lights (and flares) of Petrochemical plants has a lot of its own beauty.  I just don't think that you'll be able to see very much from a 12th floor balcony in EaDo.  You will be able to Make out the 610 Bridge and see some petro lights in the distance.  It just thought that it was bit of an over description of the view.  But, I realize that THAT is was marketing is. 

Still...Anything of this size (and height) East of I-69 is very exiting.

• Like 5

The number 1 definition of stunning in Miriam Webster is "Causing astonishment, or disbelief" followed by the number 2 definition "Strikingly impressive especially in beauty, or excellence".

The ship channel, more so the petrochemical plants, do definitely cause astonishment and disbelief. I know every time I see the flare at the LyndellBasell refinery I am in disbelief that the refinery is still allowed to operate so close to homes.

Then, it's also strikingly impressive, if not in beauty, then certainly in excellence.

so yeah, stunning views!

• Like 3

I always take out of city visitors by the ship channel. The response is always the same, astonishment.

ps. I must admit I've never taken anyone from Rotterdam or Shanghai. 

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Twinsanity02 said:

I always take out of city visitors by the ship channel. The response is always the same, astonishment.

ps. I must admit I've never taken anyone from Rotterdam or Shanghai. 

Curious, where exactly do you go? Just over 610, Beltway, Fred Hartman, or is there a better view elsewhere?

• Like 2

San Jac Monument, Lynchburg Ferry, Morgan's Point, are places I show it to visitors.  Brady's Landing (but often the only view you get is close-up the side a ship.

There are disappointingly few public places to catch a view.  I'm talking actual Channel views, not just Petro Chemical Plant views. 

• Like 3

Mainly the 610 and Sam Houston tollway bridges. I took a boat tour available to the public once but do not remember it well. Either day or night is very impressive

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Twinsanity02 said:

Mainly the 610 and Sam Houston tollway bridges. I took a boat tour available to the public once but do not remember it well. Either day or night is very impressive

I was just about to write that there is a free public boat tour. I think they talk about what you're seeing, but you can't hear what they're saying. I went on it once as a kid. I keep on wanting to go back, but just never find the time.

http://porthouston.com/portweb/sam-houston-boat-tour/

• Like 1

I have seen this guy's time lapse videos of the port before and they are pretty interesting. It amazes me to see the mass of infrastructure that comprises the port. Quite impressive, though not really aesthetically pleasing. 

• Like 1

On 5/13/2017 at 8:06 PM, jmitch94 said:

It amazes me to see the mass of infrastructure that comprises the port. Quite impressive, though not really aesthetically pleasing. 

That depends on the eye of the beholder. Heavy industry has its own set of aesthetics. That said, I'd be the first to acknowledge that determining what is aesthetically pleasing and what isn't is a highly subjective matter. 

• Like 4

On 5/13/2017 at 8:12 PM, hindesky said:

This video taken by a Port of Houston pilot, shows what the ship channel looks like at night, pretty impressive.

Thanks for posting this! This pilot has posted some great photos going under the Fred Hartman Bridge, but I've never seen one of his time lapses. The ship channel is definitely awe inspiring in its own right, im just not sure thats really a view that many hotels/residential buildings would advertise.

• Like 2

Has construction started on the Hotel RL?

I am trying to find out who to contact about recruiting for the new Hotel RL when it is getting close to being completed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Anna said:

Has construction started on the Hotel RL?

I am trying to find out who to contact about recruiting for the new Hotel RL when it is getting close to being completed.

No construction yet. I heard the land may still be for sale, but who knows...

• Like 2

The impending expansion of 59 as part of the downtown freeway reconfiguration may affect this property.  No point starting construction of a hotel on land that's going to be acquired/condemned for freeway right of way.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, flatline said:

The impending expansion of 59 as part of the downtown freeway reconfiguration may affect this property.  No point starting construction of a hotel on land that's going to be acquired/condemned for freeway right of way.

This sits east of the project and should not be impacted by right of way.

• Like 4

There aren't a ton of lenders that will finance a boutique hotel project in an area that doesn't have a track record for successful hotels (or any).

The owner was doing a JV with the developer with little to no money at risk for the developer.

I wouldn't hold your breathe on this project.

On 8/26/2017 at 7:19 PM, BigFootsSocks said:

I remember reading something that said this was being backed by JRCentral...of high speed rail fame. Is that still true? Or am I making stuff up again?

I think you're thinking of the Blossom Hotel by the Medical Center, which (I think) someone falsely associated with JR Railways because there was a single hotel with the same name in a smaller city in Japan.

(Interesting, though, how that seemed to stick for both of us.)

• Like 2

Ohhhh yeah you're right, I do remember that now. For some reason ther name popped up on an article or an HCAD listing after that hote was announced.

Thanks for clearing this up!

I thought for a moment the rendering was zooming in on a Texas flag on the side of the building for some reason. Looks very strange.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, asubrt said:

I thought for a moment the rendering was zooming in on a Texas flag on the side of the building for some reason. Looks very strange.

Indeed it does, like one of those kitchen gadgets that no one uses, or exercise equipment for lab animals.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

In this design’s defense, it at least evokes a significant emotional response, instead of the shoulder shrugs I have with most new residential designs. I’m not really sure what to make of the glass circle in the center of the building. I don’t like the present plan to frame the Texas flag, but, with tweaks, I think it has the potential to be pretty neat. For example, if the circle were to frame a translucent material that might allow for projections. It could then serve as a sort of “Gateway to EaDo.”

• Like 1

This project was seemingly announced two years ago.

when I see yellow iron on the site digging a hole, it will be time to get excited.  Until then, it’s just photoshop.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, dbigtex56 said:

Indeed it does, like one of those kitchen gadgets that no one uses, or exercise equipment for lab animals.

Soon to be rebranded "The Habitrail at St. Emanuel"

101177._AC_SL1500_V1464807071_.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

For me it’s the flag more so than the circular feature. The flag just looks downright cheesy displayed in this manner on the building. 

• Like 4

I doubt they would actually have the flag there - more likely it will be a banner that changes for different events - e.g. a giant Astros banner during the playoffs, a huge American flag on the 4th of July, etc.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cspwal said:

I doubt they would actually have the flag there - more likely it will be a banner that changes for different events - e.g. a giant Astros banner during the playoffs, a huge American flag on the 4th of July, etc.

True and likely, but I’m solely giving my two cents based on this rendering alone.

• Like 2

On 5/26/2018 at 6:20 PM, houstontexasjack said:

I’m not a fan. Looks like something scraped out of the worst aspects of Dallas.

OMG on point hahaha

• Like 1

Post Moderninsm has had its day... These seems only half arsed post mod architecture...

• Like 1

This is the last lot on St. Emanuel between Polk and Texas that sits idle. I wish they would actually start some type of work on it.

• Like 2

The circle/magnifying glass I kind of like. The flag is out of place. Weird nationalism you'd see in a dystopian movie or book. 

Dont think that would last past the first maintenance cycle before it got removed. 

• Like 6

I want to like it but just can't. I wish they would take into account the neighborhood they are in because this is everything that is opposite of east end.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, thatguysly said:

I want to like it but just can't. I wish they would take into account the neighborhood they are in because this is everything that is opposite of east end.

If this is “opposite” of the east end, can you define for me what you believe the east end to be?  I am trying to parse if the building girth is at the root of your dislike or the building design (or, possibly something else?).

why is this “everything that is opposite of the east end”?