A 93Q Classic Weekend???

JoeFM

Folks have really reacted positively to the various theme weekends I have been running on JoeFM (www.JoeFM.net & TV Channel 38.9. A while back I had all love songs and all one-hit-wonder weekends. A few weeks back I had an all "Disco 94" reunion. Last weekend I had the most listened and watched weekend yet -- remembering Rock 101 KLOL. My Google Voice number was full of voice mails and text from people who loved it.

What I'd really like to do is a weekend remembering John Lander, the original Q-morning zoo, and The All New 93Q -- back when it was really "all new" and dominated the top of the ratings chart. Thanks to Rage, I have a complete recording of the first Q-Zoo on 79Q, and a year later the first Q-Zoo on 93Q. I have dozens of airchecks sent to me from various sources. I own copies of a bunch of John Lander's Hit Music USA syndicated show (that used Q-Zoo material). I even have the Q-Zoo's greatest hits album (a prize they gave me years ago). I also have John Lander's permission to use his material.

Problem here is that Cox Media, the current owner of 93Q, thinks that bringing forward all this old material tarnishes their current "country music leader" image. In other words, any material that doesn't promote the current format is best buried and forgotten. If I do a remember 93Q weekend, they'll probably sic their legal dogs on me. So I haven't done one.

Just putting this out for commentary. Should a radio station suppress others from trying to revive material and a format many folks loved but the station, for whatever reason, decided to abandon???

2375734_orig.jpg

Is this legit, or are you "foolin'"?

I eagerly await you to say it...I feel it coming, but if this is true, what a bunch of rear ends at Cox. Gimme a break, KKBQ hasn't been top 40 in 24 years. I suspect no one under 40 even really remembers it. Top that off with how cool CBS was about the 101 KLOL reunion you just did last week, even though KLOL has been speaking Spanish for the last 13 1/2 years, and it certainly makes Cox appear to be living up to its namesake...

...if, of course, you're not just foolin' around, Joe. This just can't be serious.

Update: Message from Cox Media earlier today. I will have to edit out any mention of the KKBQ call letters, Otherwise they now don't have any problem with it.
Also reconfirmed with John Lander. I have his written permission to broadcast any of the old material. Gimme a few weeks to put this together. smile.png

So then, no John Lander promos saying "Houston's AM & FM stereo combination, KKBQ-FM Pasadena Houston, KKBQ Houston"? I think we listeners can live with that. Look forward to hearing it on Joe-FM. I can't wait to hear the initial 79Q broadcasts from the Central Bank building. Everyone has pretty much heard the flip of KYND to the simulcast with 790, but to hear the original broadcasts from the AM only will be quite a treat.

After all these years, it's still remarkable to me that the Big 610 dropped their longtime top 40 format just 13 months earlier, making way for Lander to take the then KULF to the top of Houston ratings, on an AM facility no less. Even at that time, it was becoming unheard of for an AM music station to blow away everything else on the dial. That's why KKBQ still resonates with our generation the way it does.

Maybe someone over at Cox read my reply to Joe's post on Radio Discussions and had a change of heart. Those guys are morons, "bringing forward all this old material tarnishes their current "country music leader" image". REALLY? They want to keep it buried so no one realizes the 93Q name wasn't an original idea (even the morning show is called "The NEW Q Morning Zoo"). I mean come on, when TPTB rehashed that moniker in 1992, the original format had only been dead 1 year. We weren't going to remember this? So basically this station is riding off of the success of it's previous identity and management is trying to act like it's all their own. Get the **** outta here.

Radio who?!? :rolleyes:

John Davis is employed at Cox Radio, Rage. Also, a member over at yonder dictatorship. 1+1=2...well, to most people, anyway. :ph34r:

Whenever you tire of being chastised and belittled, we'll be right here at the world famous HAIF radio emporium to help nurse your wounds. We're not trying to scratch and claw to save our jobs by arguing every contrasting opinion down over here, old friend. Could we not give away free publicity to the yahoos, John?

Now, for a truly great hamburger, I suggest Dirty Juicy Burgers in Humble for your fresh, never frozen, patty of Angus beef goodness for everyone reading this. Just mention the HAIF, for a friendly smile, a warm greeting from the guy standing behind the register, and a feeling of true appreciation for spending your money in this fine establishment, purchasing a mouth watering Dirty Burger. You'll get them anyway, but a handshake and a nice conversation will surely follow, giving the additional mention of being a fellow HAIFer of the good raging DJ. Maybe an extra couple of fries in the basket, as well. :lol: I recommend it highly. Now that's how you give a free plug, Rage.

Anyway, yes, good to see they gave it a second look. I would've lost a ton of respect for what they are doing over there, had they not given the idea reconsideration. 

Riding off of the success of the previous format is a little bit of a stretch, though. It's been 93Q Country for 24 years now, Rage. More than double its life as a Top 40. I don't fault them in the least bit for using the old sounders, taglines, morning show name, and such. Pretty smart to continue on the brand recognition. Look how long the format between the two incarnations lasted, when they abandoned the 93Q heritage. Barely lasted a year with Easy Country 92-9.

8 hours ago, Purpledevil said:

Radio who?!? :rolleyes:

John Davis is employed at Cox Radio, Rage. Also, a member over at yonder dictatorship. 1+1=2...well, to most people, anyway. :ph34r:

Whenever you tire of being chastised and belittled, we'll be right here at the world famous HAIF radio emporium to help nurse your wounds. We're not trying to scratch and claw to save our jobs by arguing every contrasting opinion down over here, old friend. Could we not give away free publicity to the yahoos, John?

Now, for a truly great hamburger, I suggest Dirty Juicy Burgers in Humble for your fresh, never frozen, patty of Angus beef goodness for everyone reading this. Just mention the HAIF, for a friendly smile, a warm greeting from the guy standing behind the register, and a feeling of true appreciation for spending your money in this fine establishment, purchasing a mouth watering Dirty Burger. You'll get them anyway, but a handshake and a nice conversation will surely follow, giving the additional mention of being a fellow HAIFer of the good raging DJ. Maybe an extra couple of fries in the basket, as well. :lol: I recommend it highly. Now that's how you give a free plug, Rage.

Anyway, yes, good to see they gave it a second look. I would've lost a ton of respect for what they are doing over there, had they not given the idea reconsideration. 

Riding off of the success of the previous format is a little bit of a stretch, though. It's been 93Q Country for 24 years now, Rage. More than double its life as a Top 40. I don't fault them in the least bit for using the old sounders, taglines, morning show name, and such. Pretty smart to continue on the brand recognition. Look how long the format between the two incarnations lasted, when they abandoned the 93Q heritage. Barely lasted a year with Easy Country 92-9.

Thanks Purple

1 hour ago, JoeFM said:

Purple, that's almost spooky.  When I read your post I was at Dirty Juicy Burgers conversating with Rage.  And yes, he is smiling behind the counter...  :)

Behold the powers possessed by the purple one :lol:. Now, if I just had telekinesis, I wouldn't have to drive all the way to FM 1960 to savor a Dirty w/cheese, and a basket of buffalo fries.

Last time I was in there, he had Joe-FM on one screen and KTRK on the other. How he's getting KZHO all the way up there is pretty amazing to me. Must be one heck of an antenna hooked up to that flat screen...unless he's got his own personal Joe feed.

10 hours ago, Purpledevil said:

Behold the powers possessed by the purple one :lol:. Now, if I just had telekinesis, I wouldn't have to drive all the way to FM 1960 to savor a Dirty w/cheese, and a basket of buffalo fries.

Last time I was in there, he had Joe-FM on one screen and KTRK on the other. How he's getting KZHO all the way up there is pretty amazing to me. Must be one heck of an antenna hooked up to that flat screen...unless he's got his own personal Joe feed.

I have an antenna on the roof that can pull in up to 65 miles. Glad you liked our burgers Purple!

• 1 year later...

Archived