Cody's/Top Of The Mark/The Pallace Clubs At 3400 Montrose Blvd.

brucesw

Anybody know what the original club atop 3400 Montrose was? I vaguely remember Glenn McCarthy had several clubs in town and that was one of them, I thought the Cork Club but that has been identified as atop the Central National Bank Bldg.

I know it was a gay club in the early 70s, the Palace or Plantation or something like that, Scott Gertner's, a jazz club, etc., but it dates to the 50s I believe.

• Like 1

i can't find much...

i do know that mccarthy's cork club was at the central bank building (century building) starting in 1957, after he sold the shamrock to the hiltons (the cork club was there previously of course).

edit - the 1955 city directory shows 3400 montrose only had insurance companies as tenants...and apparently the building went up in 1953...

Is 3400 Montrose the 10 or so story building next to Krogers?

If so it used to be a jazz bar called Cody's back in the late 80's. I had some friends who played there (New Toys/Paul English) and we went to see them when we were playing in Houston.

This was one of the coolest bars I've ever been in as the back drop of the stage was downtown. It was really spectacular. I remember that it also had two balconies outside, one was very large and held about 45 or 50 people while the other was quite small but quaint. Both had great views of Downtown.

I also remember that you would ride an elevator from the ground to the top, and the elevators opened right into the club. It was kind of shocking.

anyway if that's the place it was one cool club.

Is 3400 Montrose the 10 or so story building next to Krogers?

If so it used to be a jazz bar called Cody's back in the late 80's. I had some friends who played there (New Toys/Paul English) and we went to see them when we were playing in Houston.

This was one of the coolest bars I've ever been in as the back drop of the stage was downtown. It was really spectacular. I remember that it also had two balconies outside, one was very large and held about 45 or 50 people while the other was quite small but quaint. Both had great views of Downtown.

I also remember that you would ride an elevator from the ground to the top, and the elevators opened right into the club. It was kind of shocking.

anyway if that's the place it was one cool club.

Yes, that's the place. I had forgotten the name Cody's - it was that for a long time, I think, but something else was in there before that -- I thought it was Scott Gertner but I see that's what's there now. Maybe I have him mixed up with some other local entertainer.

Yeah, very impressive place; not what you'd expect from the outside of the bldg. Nice view of the sunset, downtown. I'd forgotten that about the elevators, too.

• 5 months later...
Anybody know what the original club atop 3400 Montrose was? I vaguely remember Glenn McCarthy had several clubs in town and that was one of them, I thought the Cork Club but that has been identified as atop the Central National Bank Bldg.

I know it was a gay club in the early 70s, the Palace or Plantation or something like that, Scott Gertner's, a jazz club, etc., but it dates to the 50s I believe.

It might have been the Top of the Mark Club which was located on the top floor of a multi-story bank building (Montrose Bank?) in that area. If that is the place, I was there for a private Christmas party in 1963 given by the family that owned the newspaper that became the Houston Community Newspaper chain and again in 1966 for New Years. It was definately no gay club then. The Charlie Prouse Trio used to play there a lot.

• 3 years later...

It has gone hip-hop last time my wife and I tried to go there. About two years ago.

We were the only whities there.

I sat in one night in November 1969 with Bill Ande's band..did Johnny B. Goode

Cody's, Top of the Mark, The Pallace...that place sure has had a lot of names

Cody's where Scott Gertner, Kirk Whalum, and Paul English all played in the same band at the same time. We used to go pretty regularly to see them. They had a drummer named Herman something. Really nice guy, good drummer.

Edited by EMME

The Palace...that was the gay club. Yes, at least one guy went off the balcony in the 70s. I think my sister was there when it happened. It was a fight and he did not go voluntarily. I was young but I remember it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I used to do late night grocery shopping at the Kroger next door and the Sky Bar always seemed packed (okay, there was a line out the lobby door, but it might just have been because the elevators were slow...).

• Like 1

Cody's where Scott Gertner, Kirk Whalum, and Paul English all played in the same band at the same time. We used to go pretty regularly to see them. They had a drummer named Herman something. Really nice guy, good drummer.

Actually his name was Herb Edwards and he was a great guy. We were pretty good friends back then.

Actually his name was Herb Edwards and he was a great guy. We were pretty good friends back then.

It's been Skybar for quite some time now. I think it stopped being Cody's in the late 80's or early 90's. I knew the manager back then. Cody's had also opened a club in Galveston. It was where that giant trumpet or coronet sculpture is.

As far as I know, they still have a happy hour buffet. It's really awesome to sit out on the roof balcony and watch the sun set and then the Transco beacon comes on. Back in the day, it was really cool to be up there during fireworks events. You could see DT, Hermann Park, Sharpstown, Clear Lake, etc. displays in the distance. I think Scott has another (sports) bar west of the Galleria.

Also, if I remember correctly, Scott is a graduate of HSPVA.

• Like 1

Did he go by Herman, because this guy was definitely Herman. Young (then) black (still) guy (assume still).

It's been Skybar for quite some time now. I think it stopped being Cody's in the late 80's or early 90's. I knew the manager back then. Cody's had also opened a club in Galveston. It was where that giant trumpet or coronet sculpture is.

If I remember correctly, I think Cody's relocated from its Montrose office building to the newly renovated Rice Village in the early 90s, but has since closed.

Did he go by Herman, because this guy was definitely Herman. Young (then) black (still) guy (assume still).

Not that I ever heard. It sounds like we're talking about the same guy. This guy was the drummer for Paul English, and later went on to play with the New Toys.

Not that I ever heard. It sounds like we're talking about the same guy. This guy was the drummer for Paul English, and later went on to play with the New Toys.

One of us should be embarrassed for calling him the wrong name. I hope it's not me.

I used to do late night grocery shopping at the Kroger next door and the Sky Bar always seemed packed (okay, there was a line out the lobby door, but it might just have been because the elevators were slow...).

Yeah, I think they only use one elevator and they only let 8 people inside at a time.

rsb, you're correct. Scott went to HSPVA, and he also went to Johnston Middle School (GO GREYHOUNDS!). I'm a Johnston alum, 8th grade class of 2001. :D

• Like 1

• 12 years later...

Yes, some of you are correct on the place. When I moved there in the late 70's it was the first place I was taken by co workers showing off the city.  Cody's.  A super good place for live music. And yes, the band's stage was in a back corner of the room which was a wall of glass in both directions.  With the city skyline behind just a short distance away with incredible architecture forming one of the prettiest skylines anywhere.  The balcony's, check.  Both fun with super views of the nighttime skyline.  Perfect during fall or early spring.  The summers were just too damn hot to be outside for very long, even at night. The building was a 10 story building and the elevator  took you straight to the top floor and opened into the club.  The food was good, the atmosphere fun and one bartender could make a mean Margarita. 

Another fantastic place for jazz ( later other forms of music from big name acts) was Rockfeller's.  Located in the old Heights State Bank Building.  Susie and Sanford Criner  were the owners and built it into one of the best clubs in town.  Another favorite music venue was Fitzgerald's.  It was located in what was once "The old Polish Hall", or something like that.  Food and bar downstairs, upstairs had the large stage and dance floor and held a rather large crowd.  On nights when groups like Stevie Ray Vaughn were playing the crowd was rocking.  Being downstairs you could see the floor above bouncing up and down.  Houston had a pretty good club scene.  Does anyone else remember the "Pimp and Whore" parties?  They traveled around town to different venues that hosted that years event.  

• The title was changed to Cody's/Top Of The Mark/The Pallace Clubs At 3400 Montrose Blvd.