West Creek Plaza: Retail Center At 2111 West Loop S.

Been in Houston a lot recently and a vacant lot that looks like it used to be a restaurant has captured my attention. The building was razed sometime around 2007, and attempts to find an address or the name of this have been elusive. The biggest clue left behind is a large sign that is only partially blacked out ("J***'s") but other than that, I got nothing. Makes me wonder if it closed LONG before it was demolished.

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7452381,-95.4566661,3a,75y,49.4h,101.37t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s0ttV4oF1bS5wuhThn1wA5A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Wew, I remember this thread. While unfortunately it was torn down before Street View was making its rounds, 2121 West Loop South appears to have been the Electric Living Center originally, but we don't know if facade changes were made later (probably not, note that in 1/06 Google Earth you can still the inverted L-shaped structures jutting out from the side).

It doesn't look like residential (and Gables was supposed to go at the Westcreek Apartments site, the last undeveloped portion, about southeast of here). Trying to guess the square footage based on landmarks says about 13,000 square feet, and based on where the lines are drawn from the Robbin Bros. building, a long and skinny building with no parking access (interestingly, the original building seems to have been connected with the nearby parking garage, the connection having been torn out in 2007).

P.S.: There seems to have been another Joe's Golf House near Tidwell/Hollister/290 area in the early 2000s, according to directories).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, CaptainJilliams said:

I know this isn't necessarily an exciting development, but I'm just super happy that there's new infill on this property. More importantly, we will finally see that Joe's Golf sign get torn down.

It wont go anywhere. I am sure a nice new painted name will go on it instead.

Maybe I am wrong though...

6 hours ago, CaptainJilliams said:

Well, a "new" painted sign would definitely be better than what's there now. Not preferred, but better. So I'll take it if that is the case.

I've always understood that it's much easier from a permitting standpoint to repurpose an existing sign than it is to construct a new one. So I suspect Avossos is right. 

21 hours ago, ekdrm2d1 said:

Is this why The Bellaire Building (now Alexan Southside Place) signage is still up? 

Very likely, although I've only heard it mentioned in connection with COH regulations, not those of other local municipalities like Bellaire or Southside Place. The classic example that's usually cited is the old Cactus Records sign at Shepherd and Alabama, which despite a paint job still noticeably resembles a cactus.