Liberman Sells KCOH; $1.8 million

Purpledevil

You obviously aren't going to get this information out of a radio discussion board, or one that has "insight" within the industry. So, as a courtesy of your truly, when they finally get around to reporting it, you now don't have to pay for this golden, top secret information...and you read about it on the HAIF. Anywhere else, is second place.

KCOH "La Ranchera" AM 1230 has been sold for $1.8 million to Pueblo de Galilea, and is pending license reassignment, as of yesterday. Looks like there's more than just frequency issues for KCOH now, the whole facility has been sold right out from under the Ben Hall group.

Obviously premature to speculate on any new format, but as for the sale, it's another step in the journey of one by one Liberman is still unloading in Houston.

I can understand why Liberman is unloading.  Very few AM stations are producing positive revenue.  I don't know what this means, but noticed a few days go a for sale sign out in front of the transmitter site for 950 KPRC.  (See attached pic)  On the lot next to it a brand new development has started.  One engineer speculated the building size may mess up the pattern for KPRC, forcing them to find a new site. 

12804523_1281708035177988_615750337_n.jpg

On Wednesday, March 16, 2016 at 8:46 PM, ArchMemoH said:

is 1230 merging with 1480 am

Nope...but Siga has bought an FM translator for KLVL. Now, if they only had an available frequency to put it on the air here in Houston...

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2016 at 9:24 PM, 93Q.TV said:

They've been looking.... hard!

I've noticed most of the frequencies in my hometown of San Antonio are fulll also.

I'm still wondering when the FCC is going to open up more frequencies... They're all getting clogged in big cities with all these translators.

Probably not for a long long time.  When the plan was being put together for digital radio, the three competing ideas were IBOC (digital transmissions on existing frequencies), putting digital stations on even-numbered frequencies (100.2, 100.4, etc...), and expanding the FM band into the TV spectrum.  What we eventually ended up with was IBOC (in-band, on-channel).

Part of the problem is that the FCC would have to require that all new radios be capable of receiving the new frequencies, like it did with the expansion of the AM band 20 years ago.  But these days the FCC is more and more in a "not our responsibility" mode, and there's little appetite in congress for requiring private companies to acceed to bureaucratic whims like this. Especially since it's hard to enforce since there are exactly ZERO radios made in the USA.

The other side of the frequency argument is that the FCC already has provided lots of frequencies for new radio stations — the mobile broadband frequencies, where there is a limitless supply of streaming radio stations that can exist without the range and interference problems of broadcast radio.  These days it seems like the FCC thinks radio, and even broadcast TV, are dead and the entire future is in a single basket — wireless internet.

On 3/27/2016 at 10:55 PM, editor said:

These days it seems like the FCC thinks radio, and even broadcast TV, are dead and the entire future is in a single basket — wireless internet.

I have to agree.  Ten more years, and FM will be like AM is today!

Archived