HEB At 2300 N. Shepherd Dr.

lilyheights

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Isn't that the fiesta that is so nondescript you have to kinda know where it is to be going there? I think it could stand to use a minor facelift...at least add some windows

There were windows at one time. At least back when it was a Moore's Grocery (20 plus years ago). I assume the store was built with plently of front glass windows. The current occupants, by boarding up the windows, were only reacting to vandalism and other trends in grocery store marketing.

I'm not sure of the origins of the building. Fed Mart? Weingartens? maybe a Lucky 7? HeightsToBastrop, do you know?

:( Saw the sign up a few days ago as well.. Don't take my fiesta away! Love walking there for a few more bottles of wine after already enjoying a few bottles of wine..

Maybe mcCain's market can move in there and have an upscale coffee/sandwich shop with some specialty groceries.. Widen the isles and go basic?

Or Central Market/Whole Foods?

I suspect it will just rather stand vacant for a few years and breed rats and homeless.. townhomes would be better..

There were windows at one time. At least back when it was a Moore's Grocery (20 plus years ago). I assume the store was built with plently of front glass windows. The current occupants, by boarding up the windows, were only reacting to vandalism and other trends in grocery store marketing.

I'm not sure of the origins of the building. Fed Mart? Weingartens? maybe a Lucky 7? HeightsToBastrop, do you know?

If memory serves, about 20 years ago it was a pharmacy (the name escapes me).

Isn't that the fiesta that is so nondescript you have to kinda know where it is to be going there? I think it could stand to use a minor facelift...at least add some windows

Well, it does have a big "Fiesta" sign painted on it. But I know what you mean. The barred doors don't really make it any more welcoming, either.

It's charmingly retro inside, and I mean that in the best possible way. It reminds me of the grocery stores my mom shopped in when I was a kid in the 70's. Plus, they're usually playing some kind of 70's music on the sound system, so that just adds to the ambience. And they even have a little Mexican steam table that sells prepared food. I can't vouch for it personally, but our tenant ate some once and didn't die.

At the risk of sounding redundant, NOOOOO! Not my quickie Fiesta! I love going to that place more than just about any other grocery store in the Heights. Their produce is always cleaner and more abundant than Kroger, and gnat free as compared to the other big Fiesta. The have a better wine selection than just about anywhere else that's close by, and I've been to Kroger many times over the years with my shopping list and when they were out of something, I'd stop at that Fiesta and they had it. And as someone else said above, they have the greatest 'overhead music'.

I guess it sounds like they will still be there for awhile, at least I hope so. I'd love to see Fiesta pump some money into this location and really jazz it up. Even staying a Fiesta, if it was changed up a little, 'freshened' and updated, I think it could really put a bigger dent in the other stores around here.

Fiesta doesn't know what potential they have in that location...

• 7 years later...

I might be laughed at for suggesting this, but I think Randalls may be ready to come out of the woods and come out swinging by acquiring an inner loop location (the prices seem comparable to Kroger, at least comparing the Bellaire Randalls to the C.S. Kroger, which I know isn't a perfect comparison, but they were able to beat Kroger on a few items).

The unfortunate thing that may dent expectations for a supermarket (ANY supermarket, really) is that for that part of Houston, it's dry...no beer/wine.

EDIT: What is the square footage of this store?

12 hours ago, txcat84 said:

I feel like I've asked this before but can't remember the response. Any way for a grocery to sell as a "private club"?

I think the "private club" exception only applies for mixed drinks IIRC.

Either way, even if H-E-B did want the site, it would either have to fight local ordinances for allowing beer and wine or do without. I can imagine the whiny Yelp reviews now...

13 hours ago, txcat84 said:

I feel like I've asked this before but can't remember the response. Any way for a grocery to sell as a "private club"?

Good point.  Forgot about that.  You cannot sell retail wine/beer with a private club license.  You have to serve food in order to have a club license and the booze you serve (can be wine, beer, mixed drinks) has to be consumed by club members on site.  No cash n carry.  

The dry zone restriction could be voted out by residents according to a Texas Supreme Court decision.  However, people in the Heights would never go for it.  There is already enough fussing about new restaurants and parking.  

What about Whole Foods? I'm thinking that might work due to the relative wealth in the area (the Heights ain't cheap), the smaller size of the lot (though the store according to HCAD is almost 70k square feet, and that's no slouch in the size department), and the fact that it's a "special" grocery store in that you go for their high-quality perishable departments rather than your day to day grocery shopping (and there's where the money is made, generally). The Randall's of old used to basically use the same tactic since the stores were all dry, though that won't cut it with the way the store is now.

http://swamplot.com/h-e-b-scoping-out-its-options-in-the-heights/2016-03-17/

Washington Ave at Studemont?

Sears building in GOOF?

Fiesta on N. Shep?

Tarkett site?

Other?

Frankly, I think they are being coy and are pretty close to doing a store in a new development at Washington Ave and Studemont.  But that is supposed to be a big mixed use development by Midway.  They bought it in 2014.  They may not be in a rush given the current state of the oil markets.

• 2 months later...

The Chronicle has confirmation from HEB that they're behind the petition drive to hold a local option election. This location is close to a lot of under-served areas (Shady Acres, Garden Oaks, Oak Forest), and would probably be very successful for HEB. While it's smaller than the 6 acres they'd like to have, it's bigger than the 3 acres they're building on in Bellaire.

Archived