Scooby Doo's Pipe Organ Pizza

dpmccann

Wow I am so glad I found this website. I have been wondering about this place for so long! When I ask someone if they remember it, they look at me like I'm nuts. I felt like I was reading something I wrote. I too have checked on ebay for anything about it. My family and I used to go all the time, it brings back such fond memories of my dad. He was a funny guy..

dawn1970

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
I took some pictures but they turned out really badly.....next time I am over that way, I will snap some in the daytime...it is now a bar and I didn't want to get too close when I was there at night.......maybe during the day the weirdos won't be hanging around... ;)

Bummer. :(

Any luck in reshooting those?

• 5 years later...

My grandfather (my mother's stepfather) and I used to go to the Scooby Doo's Pipe Organ Pizza in the Greenpoint Area when I was a child and growing up. I believe that is the correct name of the restaurant. I remember the legs sticking out from the wall (it could have been the character Shaggy's (from the Scooby Doo cartoon series)). Pardon my spelling and grammar. I always thought it was called Scooby Doo not Scooby Doo's Pipe Organ Pizza. But I was so young to pay that much attention to the name of the restaurant, though. Does anyone remember the legs sticking out from the wall? I cannot remember if the food was good, but I do not think so, because we didn't eat there much. I just like going there for the asphere and video games. My grandfather (my mother's stepfather) was a lawyer (attorney at law) and his law office was on Aldine Bender. Sadly, my grandfather (my mother's stepfather) died on Friday October 02, 2009. My mother's mother died on November 15, 2011 (I believe that is the correct date). I remember the amusement park close to where my grandfather's (my mother's stepfather's law office) was, it was named after the production company (which produced cartoons). The name started with a 'B' (I am referring to the amusement park's name). The amusement park wasn't that great though, kind of lame. I'm scared of roller coasters, and that was the only thing that was good about that amusement park. The other things, were just so boring and lame. But that amusement park is long gone. In it's place they built a water park. These places bring back a lot of memories. I was born on June 13, 1972 and I am 40 years old now. I was very very very very close to my grandfather (my mother's stepfather) and now I have only memories of him. I miss my grandfather (my mother's stepfather) so very much. I'm sure glad to found this forum and website. Because I was born and raised in Houston Texas. But I have traveled a lot, though. But I have a lot of memories from Houston Texas.

My grandfather (my mother's stepfather) and I used to go to the Scooby Doo's Pipe Organ Pizza in the Greenpoint Area when I was a child and growing up. I believe that is the correct name of the restaurant. I remember the legs sticking out from the wall (it could have been the character Shaggy's (from the Scooby Doo cartoon series)). Pardon my spelling and grammar. I always thought it was called Scooby Doo not Scooby Doo's Pipe Organ Pizza. But I was so young to pay that much attention to the name of the restaurant, though. Does anyone remember the legs sticking out from the wall? I cannot remember if the food was good, but I do not think so, because we didn't eat there much. I just like going there for the asphere and video games. My grandfather (my mother's stepfather) was a lawyer (attorney at law) and his law office was on Aldine Bender. Sadly, my grandfather (my mother's stepfather) died on Friday October 02, 2009. My mother's mother died on November 15, 2011 (I believe that is the correct date). I remember the amusement park close to where my grandfather's (my mother's stepfather's law office) was, it was named after the production company (which produced cartoons). The name started with a 'B' (I am referring to the amusement park's name). The amusement park wasn't that great though, kind of lame. I'm scared of roller coasters, and that was the only thing that was good about that amusement park. The other things, were just so boring and lame. But that amusement park is long gone. In it's place they built a water park. These places bring back a lot of memories. I was born on June 13, 1972 and I am 40 years old now. I was very very very very close to my grandfather (my mother's stepfather) and now I have only memories of him. I miss my grandfather (my mother's stepfather) so very much. I'm sure glad to found this forum and website. Because I was born and raised in Houston Texas. But I have traveled a lot, though. But I have a lot of memories from Houston Texas.

I immensely miss my Grandfather (my Mother's Stepfather) ! I remember going to his law office Davidson & Gray and spending a lot of time with my Grandfather (my Mother's Stepfather) there, and they had a large Fig Tree in the backyard. I also remember going to Furrs too. I enjoy going there too eat. A lot of memories are connected to Aldine Bender. My Aunt's Husband/Boyfriend bought her a Baby Chick and my Grandfather (my Mother's Stepfather) took to his law office because we had dogs and cats, we wer frighten that the Baby Chick would be eaten by the other animals. It was Roaster. And the Roaster loved my Grandfather (my Mother's Stepfather) but it hated my Grandfather's (my Mother's Stepfather's) law partner and the Roaster would run and poop on my Grandfather's (my Mother's Stepfather's) law partner's shoes. But the Roaster loved the Children next door too. But we were afraid that someone ate the Roaster at the end. Because we didn't see the Roaster.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I remember visiting Scooby Doo's Pizza in the Greenspoint area of Houston many times when I was kid. For those interested in strolling down memory lane, the building it was once in is still standing and is occupied by Vibe Sports Bat today. Although it's been renovated some of the interior is the same. It's located at 12510 North Fwy, Houston, TX 77060

Edited by jeremy

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...

There were three Pipe Organ Pizza places that I remember and possibly a fourth.  The first was located on the backside of Memorial City Mall, the second on the Gulf Freeway at Monroe and a third on Greens Rd across from Greens Point mall.  The organs were restored Wurlitzer theater Organs from back the the 20's and 30's I think. The were used to provide the sound tracks as the silent movies played. The has what was called a toy box that contained all the non organ songs.  Two of the organist that were organist at Pipe Organ Pizza are in the Houston area. Johnny Foster is playing keyboards for local churches and Pasadena Hometown Opry. The other that I know about is Jim Connors and he's the organist at a Methodist Church in the Woodlands area.  Jim also plays at local nursing homes in the Woodlands/Tomball area.  Remember the organ at the Astro games, that was Jim Connor leading the charge.                                                                                                                                                       https://johnnyfosterschoolofmusic.vpweb.com/Home.html                         https://jimplaysmusic.com/                                                    

Pipe Organ Pizza, Inc. filed as a Domestic For-Profit Corporation in the State of Texas and is no longer active. This corporate entity was filed approximately thirty-nine years ago on Wednesday, January 14, 1981 , according to public records filed with Texas Secretary of State.

Pipe Organ Pizza, Inc. Overview

Pipe Organ Pizza, Inc. filed as a Domestic For-Profit Corporation in the State of Texas and is no longer active. This corporate entity was filed approximately thirty-nine years ago on Wednesday, January 14, 1981 , according to public records filed with Texas Secretary of State.                                               

Edited by Ed Lentz
additional information
  • Like 1

I am so happy to hear all this info on pipe organ pizza which I remuneration from 1979 at Memorial City Mall.

i wonder about the disassembled Pip organs......are they lost in some wearhouse or were they purchased by a church and still be played today?

7 hours ago, trymahjong said:

i wonder about the disassembled Pip organs......are they lost in some wearhouse or were they purchased by a church and still be played today?

It's not completely out of the question, but it's somewhat unlikely that a church would purchase a theatre organ, as there are some differences between church and theatre organs:

http://theatreorgans.com/walnuthill/organ004.htm

Perhaps someone from the Houston chapter of the American Theatre Organ Society might know something about the whereabouts of the Pipe Organ Pizza organs.

http://htosonline.com/index.html

• 8 months later...