Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
editor

Software Upgrade

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, editor said:

I rotated the tires and put in a new brand of blinker fluid.  Let me know if Imgur works for you now.

 

Bad blinker fluid will get you every time !!

 

Seems to work now - thank you :)

 

uikRcS3.jpg

Edited by HoustonMidtown

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone else constantly getting spam on mobile? It seems like every other page I load on here redirects me to a website that is some ad that automatically opens the iTunes App Store to download some porno app or Gambling app. 

 

I only use Haif on mobile, and running into these constant ads discourages me from actually coming to the site. It's slow as hell, littered with spam, and ads that aren't formatted for mobile that created awkward page layouts. I'd rather deal with the free version of the Chron than come here. The ads are the same, but at least it loads faster. 

 

Im really curious to see how the traffic has done in the past few weeks and since the switchover. It had been getting no better, but now it's back to being a shell of its former self.

 

Sorry for the rant, but this is the thread for talking about the site Update, and holy sheet does this site need an Update...for the update.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On August 12, 2016 at 7:52 PM, BigFootsSocks said:

Anyone else constantly getting spam on mobile? It seems like every other page I load on here redirects me to a website that is some ad that automatically opens the iTunes App Store to download some porno app or Gambling app. 

 

I only use Haif on mobile, and running into these constant ads discourages me from actually coming to the site. It's slow as hell, littered with spam, and ads that aren't formatted for mobile that created awkward page layouts. I'd rather deal with the free version of the Chron than come here. The ads are the same, but at least it loads faster. 

 

Im really curious to see how the traffic has done in the past few weeks and since the switchover. It had been getting no better, but now it's back to being a shell of its former self.

 

Sorry for the rant, but this is the thread for talking about the site Update, and holy sheet does this site need an Update...for the update.

 

I've spent the last few hours trying to duplicate what you describe, and so far nothing.  I'm not saying it's not happening, just that I can't see that it's currently a HAIF problem.  Then again, if something is being sneaky like this, chances are good that it's also trying to hide from being detected.  It's the circle of life.

 

I've asked someone I know who's smarter than I am to help me look into this.  

 

One thing to note: Apple does not permit gambling or pornography in its app store.  So if you're being redirected somewhere, it isn't there.

 

What kind of phone are you using, and with what browser?  Maybe if I can match or simulate your specs, I'll have better luck.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Everyone,

 

I've installed another significant software upgrade.  Let me know if you see anything not working properly.  It's best to send me a PM so that I get an immediate notification.  

 

Hopefully this one will go much smoother than the one back in March.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

iPhone 6S, and just Safari, which might explain something. It's now just redirecting to random comic book reading apps. I'll try to screenshot the page that loads. 

 

It it always happens when I'm in the Going Up sub. I'll open a thread, scroll down to the bottom to select the "Go to Next Unread Topic"

 

After that, it will start to load the page then immediately redirects to an advertisement page which loads into the App Store. 

 

 

Ive noticed a slight improvement in speed, and the ad page has only popped up once. A week ago it would load every time I tried to go to the Next Unread Topic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, BigFootSocks.  That screenshot actually helps a lot.

 

It's a beacon from Federated Media, one of the web site's advertising partners.  What a beacon does is double-check to make sure that the ads that we say are being served are actually being served and not intercepted by ad blockers or something else.

 

In this case, the beacon is malfunctioning or poorly written.  I'll see what i can do about it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wish I could get a picture right now, but for mobile, the threads have only one letter per line, so if I was looking at the HH thread "7-Eleven" it appears in mobile as

7

-

E

l

e

v

e

n

 

rinse and repeat for every subforum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, IronTiger said:

Wish I could get a picture right now, but for mobile, the threads have only one letter per line, so if I was looking at the HH thread "7-Eleven" it appears in mobile as

7

-

E

l

e

v

e

n

 

rinse and repeat for every subforum

Well, that certainly is curious.  I'm not seeing it on my iPhone 5.  What are you using?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, editor said:

Well, that certainly is curious.  I'm not seeing it on my iPhone 5.  What are you using?

iPhone 4S running iOS 6. It's pretty old, I can't play Pokémon Go even if I wanted to. Thing is, it didn't behave like that until a few months ago.

Edited by IronTiger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2016 at 11:10 AM, editor said:

Thanks, BigFootSocks.  That screenshot actually helps a lot.

 

It's a beacon from Federated Media, one of the web site's advertising partners.  What a beacon does is double-check to make sure that the ads that we say are being served are actually being served and not intercepted by ad blockers or something else.

 

In this case, the beacon is malfunctioning or poorly written.  I'll see what i can do about it.

This pop up was different than the ones I was getting a month back. Those would redirect to the app store. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...