St. John's Campus At 2401 Claremont Ln.

cfewell22

I am surprised just how much money these schools have. This and the school that bought the Houston HS campus of Memorial... wow

Private school tuition has surpassed tuition at many colleges. Tuition is currently almost $23K at St. John's, and almost $14K at St. Thomas. That said, there are a lot of deep-pocketed alumni donors at both schools without which these types of expansions would not be possible. St. Thomas hasn't yet raised the $60 million they'll have to pay HISD for the land next door to their existing campus, but as soon as their bid was accepted, emails to the alumni network announcing a new capital campaign to fund the purchase started going out. 

• 4 months later...

I may be wrong and I am not all that familiar with the St. John's of the Campus.  But, the new construction on the "North Campus" seems to be a different project than the area Southwest of the Westheimer & Buffalo Spdwy, where River Oaks Plant House and Blanco's used to be.  I don't recall seeing any of the future plans for the this expansion.  Are there any?

I may be wrong and I am not all that familiar with the St. John's of the Campus.  But, the new construction on the "North Campus" seems to be a different project than the area Southwest of the Westheimer & Buffalo Spdwy, where River Oaks Plant House and Blanco's used to be.  I don't recall seeing any of the future plans for the this expansion.  Are there any?

I think you are correct.  Last I saw, they did yet not have specific plans for the newly-acquired land.

From what I saw on their website some time ago they are currently looking for a firm to help develop a master plan. I don't think it will be surface parking (maybe for the new construction right now as sort of overflow). On the website it said that it was going to be some sort of learning center or something idk, but it for sure will not be surface parking or some one story building.

Seems like a good place for a recap...

St. John's purchased 13 acres on the west side of Buffalo Speedway between Westheimer and Alabama from the Taub family.  The tract included the site of the River Oaks Plant House, the baseball field which SJS leased from the Taubs, and Blanco's.

The school already had a plan in place to replace buildings on the north side of Westheimer when they purchased the Taub land.  Those are the renderings shown above.  While construction takes place on the north side of Westheimer, SJS will build a temporary parking lot on the River Oaks Plant House site to account for the places lost due to construction..  Part of what is being replaced is the school's cafeteria, and the school is currently using the former Blanco's kitchen to service the school.  No word on whether the kids prefer the fried seafood platter with a Lone Star or red beans and rice with a Shiner.

The west side of Buffalo, designated the "Taub Campus" will be developed as part of the school's long term strategic plan.  Over the next 20 years, the school plans to increase its enrollment from 1250 to 1700.  That land will be used to facilitate that expansion.

Here is picture of the school's property and the new acquisition on the west side.

New_Campus_Map_Cropped.png

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...