Foley's Almeda-Genoa Groundbreaking and Grand Opening

Torimask, thank you. The pictures of the boat brought a literal tear to my eye. It is a carbon copy of the one at NW, and these eyes really appreciated seeing it once again, after all these years. What a spectacular and sensational job you are doing with the historical documentation of the southside. A standing ovation for your efforts, and I sure hope you'll dedicate some time to the other aspects of Almeda Mall, the opening of J.C. Penney's and the Shopping City itself, in a future entry.

• Like 2

Very happy to share! And thank you for the kind words!

I am always on the lookout for new sources that might yield more photographs of the area in its earliest days. 

I'm planning a visit to the U of H holdings when I'm back in town in April to see what their Foley's holdings might yield. 

Is there possibly a similar repository for Penney's hiding out in a library locally, I wonder?

I've spoken with management at Almeda Mall and there is nothing to be found of the early days still in existence at the Mall offices. Wherever folks went from there, they must have taken the bits of history and photos with them. I went into the Palais Royal, one of the last remaining original stores, to ask if anyone there had been around since the beginning. Their most long-time employee only had 15 years with them. 

If anyone knows where I might track down Stan Begam photographs, or other long standing Houston photographers' holdings, please let me know! It seems many of them are lost in the depths of Post and Chronicle holdings. I've exhausted search terms at the HPL Ideson holdings, and even things I've seen posted on Bayou City History don't come up in the searches. Old microfilm/fiche is relatively useless for photographs. And the Bailey photographs were incredibly expensive. Makes the $12.50 from HPL and the one week turnaround time seem like the best bargain ever!

Any and all leads greatly appreciated! 

I'm still waiting on the last of the Bailey order, which include a couple from the Northwest Picadilly when it first opened, but here are a couple from the Manhattan construction of Dobie High School, 1968

I moved to the Sun Valley subdivision near Almeda Mall in 1972 and lived there until 2005. I remember a lot about the area as it used to be. It sure changed a lot over the years. Long gone are places like the Breezeway, one of my favorite dance places, Homers, Burger Mart in Edgebrook, Holiday World, just to name a few. I have many fond memories of the area.

I don't know what year this picture was taken but it must have been in the 70's. The are grew profusely after Almeda Mall was built.

post-11998-0-68624300-1457328636_thumb.j

Edited by Michelle C
  • Like 1

The pictures of the boat brought a literal tear to my eye. It is a carbon copy of the one at NW, and these eyes really appreciated seeing it once again, after all these years. What a spectacular and sensational job you are doing with the historical documentation of the southside. 

I heartily second those sentiments - these are great photos. Funny how the boat that loomed so large in memory looks a lot smaller in the photos, but when you're four years old, pretty much everything seems gargantuan.

• Like 1