Chateau Ten: West University Condominiums At 1742 Sunset Blvd.

Urbannizer

Randall Davis Plans to Build Third Chateau-Ten Branded Condo in WestU

Randall Davis Co. is planning to build its third Chateau Ten-branded luxury condominium project in Houston.

The Houston developer is under contract to purchase a 0.32 acre site off of Shakespeare Street in West University. The exact location was not disclosed, pending negotiations.

Once it is closed, Randall Davis plans to build a new Chateau Ten project, a relatively new concept for single-floor living in Houston. The projects were designed to appeal to residents who want to live in a smaller, midrise building with lower maintenance fees.

The latest Chateau Ten will rise five stories with just 16 units averaging about 3,000 square feet. The West University project will feature similar high-end amenities, like a private elevator, and finishes to Davis’ other Chateau Ten projects: Chateau Ten River Oaks, south of San Felipe Street at Spann and Welch streets, and Chateau Ten Southampton, at Sunset Boulevard and Ashby Street.

The article mentions it being in West Universty much more than the specific street; it could be that they are using a street that changes names when it crosses Kirby into West U to keep the location a secret for now - probably don't want to get into a bidding war.  Maybe one of our plat noticers will notice a plat.

Does West U have zoning?  We could also use that to find where they just rezoned to allow a midrise

This must be coming to Shakespeare between Kirby and Morningside as Shakespeare becomes Fenwood on the other side of Kirby and dies out after a couple of blocks.  I'm not familiar with West U deed restrictions and zoning but I can't believe something like this would be allowed on Fenwood

There are several decent size plots of land (like 2515 Shakespeare) that might fit the bill here, but not sure.  That's the closest plot size I can find but it's currently the home of some older condos

Shakespeare st between Morningside and Kirby looks to be the only street to allow multifamily. West of Kirby is in West University proper, their strict deed restrictions would never allow a condo. My guess is 2511 and 2509 Shakespeare, they combine to approx .32 acres. Or 2515 Shakespeare, although that appears to already be condos and would require an $$$ buyout. 

I think the other two locations only have ten units, with five floors of residential on top of one floor of parking. This building will likely have a larger footprint since it has more units and is five stories. I think the River Oaks location was only on a 10,000 square foot lot.

West U has zoning and Fenwood is absolutely zoned single family residential, so it has to be Shakespeare

Let's wait and see what he calls his next Chateau in Riverside .... Coming to a corner near you. (Kidding). But seriously - people call anything within a 10 mile radius of River Oaks "River Oaks this, River Oaks that". It's called marketing.

The article does say West University "area".  Looks like it will be in 77030 zip, not 77005

I noticed a friend check in on facebook at "Rice Village at West University" recently - it's not the main check in ("Rice Village District" is) but apparently a lot of people associate Rice Village with West U

Even a Houston visitor's website seems to infer that Rice University itself is in the West University "area"

http://www.visithoustontexas.com/about-houston/neighborhoods/west-university-rice-village/

• 2 months later...
On 4/27/2016 at 9:16 AM, htownproud said:

I think it may be 2506 Shakespeare.  The units appear to be on sale on HAR (e.g., http://www.har.com/2506-shakespeare--301/sale_13200124)

You're right - it totally escaped me that the location is on the North side of Shakespeare.  I guess it will be right next to those Rice apartments.  They didn't waste any time listing these

• 9 months later...

Cancelled

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2017/02/09/exclusive-houston-developer-scraps-plans-for-west.html

Plans for Chateau Ten West University have been nixed.

Randall Davis has scrapped plans for his third Chateau Ten-branded luxury condominium project in Houston.

In February 2016, the Houston developer proposed building a five-story, 16-unit condo on a 0.32-acre site off of Shakespeare Street in the West University area. The latest Chateau Ten project would have offered a single-floor living concept designed to appeal to empty-nesters downsizing from large family homes into a boutique, midrise condo with lower maintenance fees.

However, buyers purchased four units in the new Chateau Ten project over the past year, Davis said. So, in January 2017, Davis decided not to move ahead the project.

• The title was changed to Chateau Ten: West University At 1742 Sunset Blvd.
  • The title was changed to Chateau Ten: West University Condominiums At 1742 Sunset Blvd.

Archived