The Old North Freeway Contraflow

ADCS

I found the following while poking around the internet:

Fantastic shots of the old North Freeway. It's really interesting to see how the HOV system simply reused most of the existing contraflow infrastructure, particularly the complex Shepherd interchange.

Thought y'all might appreciate this.

I'll have to look, but I think Houston Freeways mentions how the contraflow lane was the first example of what would become the HOV lane system, the "real" HOV system was all new construction.

Although come to think of it, I was under the impression that the HOV lanes (for all the highways, pre-rebuild Katy, Northwest, etc.) were built on inner shoulders, which this early Interstate 45 seems to lack entirely.

I'll have to look, but I think Houston Freeways mentions how the contraflow lane was the first example of what would become the HOV lane system, the "real" HOV system was all new construction.

Although come to think of it, I was under the impression that the HOV lanes (for all the highways, pre-rebuild Katy, Northwest, etc.) were built on inner shoulders, which this early Interstate 45 seems to lack entirely.

Look at the ramps - rather than use new rights-of-way, they repaved over the existing ramps. You can see how the HOV system simply took the existing contraflow system and moved it to a separated lane, instead of being completely reengineered. It's pretty interesting - some relics of the old contraflow system include the ramp configuration at Shepherd, and the routing of the HOV through the I-10 interchange (hugging the inside southbound lane).

That's a great video about the project, thanks for posting. I was not aware of its existence, even after all the research I did for the book.

Here's the chapter which features the project

https://1968d90e831cd27d2017897e0c81e9a12852eb10.googledrive.com/host/0B4gwdXQk1LyieHZHSTBqd0VJSnc/pdf/CH6_freeway_mass_transit_pp322-339_72.pdf

The contraflow was very labor-intensive and the video says it cost $50,000 per month to operate, about $150,000 per month in today's money. The success of the contraflow lane paved the way for today's HOV system.

I remember driving on 45 when the contraflow lanes were in effect. Nothing like seeing cars in the lane next to you, headed the opposite direction, at high rates of closing speed, and nothing but a bunch of plastic poles to separate you. It was fun watching the workers place and remove the lane separators as the rest of us zoomed past.

I remember driving on 45 when the contraflow lanes were in effect. Nothing like seeing cars in the lane next to you, headed the opposite direction, at high rates of closing speed, and nothing but a bunch of plastic poles to separate you. It was fun watching the workers place and remove the lane separators as the rest of us zoomed past.

Hence the nickname "Contra-Crash".  :lol:

No, they went into holes.

It's easy to miss holes if you're passing at 5-10 mph like they're shown doing in the video. I'm thinking there are magnets in the pylons and at the bottom of the holes. That would make it a lot easier to put the pylons in, as you'd only need to get close.

It's easy to miss holes if you're passing at 5-10 mph like they're shown doing in the video. I'm thinking there are magnets in the pylons and at the bottom of the holes. That would make it a lot easier to put the pylons in, as you'd only need to get close.

Probably just weights in the bottom of the poles. Also they look slightly smaller than the holes.

Probably just weights in the bottom of the poles. Also they look slightly smaller than the holes.

The bottoms were smaller. I remember seeing that. Every now and then there would be a missed spot, or a dropped pylon

Archived