Sign in to follow this  
Urbannizer

General Transportation News Thread

Terrible article but no surprise coming from someone known as anti-rail

Houston needs to get past the driving only mentality but it won't as long as powerful lobbies have the ears of local politicians

Beyond that the article is full of lies. Los Angeles, Denver, and Phoenix are actually investing more in rail expansions and LA actually wants to accelerate the process and convert BRT to rail as well.

Saying autonomous taxi will replace public transit is laughable and the biggest irony is the quote that says vehicles that carry more people take vehicles off the road. That's pretty much the definition of rail transit.

Edited by Slick Vik

A regular taxi can be manky enough even with a driver.  Has anyone come up with an idea for how to make the self driving car self cleaning as well?  Until that happens, taxis with someone on board to notice when a passenger has been... (**ahem**) untidy are going to have their place.

• Like 1

Terrible article but no surprise coming from someone known as anti-rail

Houston needs to get past the driving only mentality but it won't as long as powerful lobbies have the ears of local politicians

Beyond that the article is full of lies. Los Angeles, Denver, and Phoenix are actually investing more in rail expansions and LA actually wants to accelerate the process and convert BRT to rail as well.

Saying autonomous taxi will replace public transit is laughable and the biggest irony is the quote that says vehicles that carry more people take vehicles off the road. That's pretty much the definition of rail transit.

It's a bit optimistic, but the article's not full of lies (uh, Citylab, on the other hand has lots of inaccuracies). Of course L.A., Denver, and the rest are investing in rail. That doesn't mean that it's a good idea or it will pay off the long run, and that's true for just about anything, I don't know, a movie with a $100 million budget and one of the most bankable stars at the time? What could go wrong?

• Like 2

A regular taxi can be manky enough even with a driver.  Has anyone come up with an idea for how to make the self driving car self cleaning as well?  Until that happens, taxis with someone on board to notice when a passenger has been... (**ahem**) untidy are going to have their place.

yeah, and not to mention, when I sign up to have the car service come pick me up, I am not signing up to go stop at 3 other people's houses and pick them up as well. 4-letter-word-starting-with-F that.

or maybe I'm not the first person being picked up, but the last one, so now 3 other people are pulling up to my driveway, they see when I leave for work every day, and they see how nice I dress. F that too.

obviously, the solution is for people to go to a central location to get in this 4 person conveyance. that's not convenient, so F that.

So much headache for this driverless customized SUV, I'm just going to drive my car.

Personally, my money is on the driverless taxi for one person being used for short distances. say to get someone from their house to a train station. and then from the train station to their office, maybe a bus to within a block or two of the office.

• Like 1

I accidentally did an uber ride share when I landed at SFO. It added 40 minutes to the drive, as the person I shared it with was staying on the west side of town and I was Downtown.

Cut the ride cost in half but I made sure to check what I was requesting the next time. I don't think they've added that feature to the Houston market yet. Would be nice if you were sharing the ride with someone you know, with multiple pick-up locations (let's go to the club).

Wasn't a bad experience, just added time.

I accidentally did an uber ride share when I landed at SFO. It added 40 minutes to the drive, as the person I shared it with was staying on the west side of town and I was Downtown.

Cut the ride cost in half but I made sure to check what I was requesting the next time. I don't think they've added that feature to the Houston market yet. Would be nice if you were sharing the ride with someone you know, with multiple pick-up locations (let's go to the club).

Wasn't a bad experience, just added time.

You can split fares really easily with uber...

• Like 1

Does anyone have any info on the W. Alabama reconstruction? I noticed a small section redone at the W. Alabama/Milam intersection. 

Edited by j_cuevas713

I hope this is a good spot for this. Just wanted to pass this along to those who might be interested in seeing this.

Adapting to a new human future
59f2c943-abf5-4e7d-95ca-e1cdeccf78f9.jpg

6d95c591-eaa3-444a-b426-3c11f364cbac.jpg
Want to sponsor this newsletter? Click here.

Metro's Regional Transit Plan

Save the date: 
Wednesday, June 28, at noon, at H-GAC

3555 Timmons, second floor 
Free and open to the public
  • Like 3