Gaido's Restaurant At 9200 South Main St.

tomtex

I was involved in the demolition of a seafood restaurant on South Main Street (near the South Loop) in 1996.  The restaurant  probably dated from the 1930's.  The building had a very large crab sculpture on the roof.  I rescued several gas light fixtures from the building prior to its demolition and am trying to authenticate their age.  I am looking for the name of a seafood restaurant or any other information about it.

• Like 1

I was involved in the demolition of a seafood restaurant on South Main Street (near the South Loop) in 1996.  The restaurant  probably dated from the 1930's.  The building had a very large crab sculpture on the roof.  I rescued several gas light fixtures from the building prior to its demolition and am trying to authenticate their age.  I am looking for the name of a seafood restaurant or any other information about it.

I had no idea Gaido's ever operated in Houston! My family preferred the formerly cheaper Casey's however. Trying to look up info on the Houston location proves to be confusing. It seems that a bunch of different family members operated restaurants under the Gaido's name across Houston and Galveston. Some info seems to support the idea that, the original Gaido's (as we all know it now) opened in the 40's on South Main, and after a few years, one of the partners sold their shares and opened the Galveston location. No idea when the S. Main location closed however, pictures that look like they're from the 80's or 90's exist.

Interesting side note: A copy-cat version of the Cowboy Shrimp stood out in Richmond, next to some giant, often abandoned seafood restaurant for years.

http://americathroughrickseyes.com/shrimp1.jpg

Gaido's sounds like it. It later moved to Galveston. I think someone posted a picture of it once.

Gaido's was in Galveston before it was in Houston. The Houston restaurant was their 2nd restaurant. I think Playland Park had something to do with Gaido's deciding to open it's Houston location were it did just across the street from the park.

I can't find when Gaido's South Main closed. Best I can find is an article from 1995 that indicates Christie's and Gaido's had been gone for a while (by 1995).

When the Red Lion closed last year, it was nearly the last holdout of the South Main restaurant row. Just as it had introduced Houston to a taste of Britain with roast beef and Yorkshire pudding, years earlier Valian's had been one of the first pizza places. A bit farther out, Gaido's and Christie's were the Gulf Coast seafood favorites. Who remembers which had the giant shrimp wearing a cowboy hat?

• The title was changed to Gaido's Restaurant At 9200 South Main St.
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...