HAIF - Houston's original social media

Denton Developer From SW Houston?

I mean it's not really historic, or about Houston.. but here it is

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Kirby+Dr,+Denton,+TX+76210/@33.1649455,-97.1036562,16.69z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x864dcb48ee861c6b:0x2069921d1912bf02

Kinda wonder who did it.. and more so, why?

I suspect it may have been nostalgia. Those roads were being constructed when I was a kid, and that was pretty much the southwest edge of Houston. Perhaps the developer grew up about the same time and place. Pure speculation, however. 

Some street names do travel around. Take a drive through downtown Shreveport Louisiana and you'll think you're in downtown Houston. In the oldest area along the Red River they have streets named Texas, Fannin, Crockett, Milam, Travis, Austin, and some others.

Shreveport was founded in 1836, the year Texas won independence from Mexico, and people there at that time thought they had more in common with Texas than with Louisiana, hence all the streets named for Texas heroes. Even today many people in that NW corner of Louisiana will tell you they would rather be part of Texas. Which makes me wonder why they don't move here.

Louisiana has a state income tax and Texas doesn't. That alone would give me the incentive to move to Texas.

Edited by FilioScotia
  • Like 1
  • 4 months later...

This is very interesting, because - like technoevil - I also lived for awhile in Denton (3 1/2 years for me), and also never noticed those streets. I even lived in apartments at one point off of Teasley Lane, not far from that area (maybe less than a 1/2 mile away).

The naming of those streets must have been tied to someone from Houston. There's just too much of a coincidence with the similarity of names in SW Houston.

On 6/9/2016 at 5:16 PM, Gurgis said:

This is very interesting, because - like technoevil - I also lived for awhile in Denton (3 1/2 years for me), and also never noticed those streets. I even lived in apartments at one point off of Teasley Lane, not far from that area (maybe less than a 1/2 mile away).

The naming of those streets must have been tied to someone from Houston. There's just too much of a coincidence with the similarity of names in SW Houston.

Thats funny.  I was in the apartments off Teasley also, just north of 35 behind the Pizza Hut and KFC for a while.

Edited by technoevil
  • 9 months later...