10 hours ago, Triton said:

This reminds me so much of the Domain in Austin.

Hence the naming haha. Not a bad thing to aspire too. The Domain in Austin and City Centre here in town have been at least unique approaches to bringing urbanism to Suburbia.

2 minutes ago, Luminare said:

Hence the naming haha. Not a bad thing to aspire too. The Domain in Austin and City Centre here in town have been at least unique approaches to bringing urbanism to Suburbia.

Yea. I love the Domain. It actually has quite a huge nightlife too, which is very surprising.

9 hours ago, august948 said:

Actually, this reminds me more of City Centre than The Domain.  More mixed use and entertainment vs The Domain, which is more of an open air shopping mall concept.

The Domain is quite a mix. It has several streets lined with multi-family, restaurants, cafes, and bars now.

Image result for the domain austin nightlife

1 minute ago, Triton said:

Yea. I love the Domain. It actually has quite a huge nightlife too, which is very surprising.

The Domain is quite a mix. It has several streets lined with multi-family, restaurants, cafes, and bars now.

Image result for the domain austin nightlife

I was looking at it via google images. Its interesting how the Domain is evolving. To a previous comment, it initially did start out as an open mall concept, but again the free market keeps evolving it. From what I've seen just looking at it, its developing into a real functioning neighborhood. Even the aesthetics are changing. Started out with mostly faux attempts at European looks, but now what is being developed is more contemporary and has more confidence. Its interesting. Its why I'm interested in seeing City Centre expand or even River Oaks district. We are gradually seeing the free market constantly retool and figure out through trial and error how a Euro-Americano Urban blend would work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, texas911 said:

Any updates on this project?

I actually live in Stafford so I'll try and give more updates on this development. (eye test, I don't have an inside source unfortunately). So far only Verizon and Chipotle have opened up on  airport/59 feeder. No signs for who might take up the available store fronts by Verizon and Chipotle. The streets for the development have been coming along and the very large oak trees have fences around them to preserve them for the development which I am very happy about. So most of the progress so far is roads, sewage etc,

I'll try and get some pics next time I am driving by.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, toxtethogrady said:

What they really need is some spillover from Chinatown. Otherwise In-N-Out will remain the biggest thing going for this place...

It's way too far for spillover from Chinatown.  Besides, there are are still plenty of opportunities for development and redevelopment in the Bellaire Blvd corridor that are more likely to draw development of Asian-oriented businesses.  If anything, the Bellaire Chinatown seems to have reached a critical mass in the past 20 years and has become the premier area for Asian development.

• Like 3

On 4/2/2019 at 11:06 AM, august948 said:

It's way too far for spillover from Chinatown.  Besides, there are are still plenty of opportunities for development and redevelopment in the Bellaire Blvd corridor that are more likely to draw development of Asian-oriented businesses.  If anything, the Bellaire Chinatown seems to have reached a critical mass in the past 20 years and has become the premier area for Asian development.

I think Chinatown is moving further SW with the KP plaza development @Beechnut and Beltway.  That area is considered the international district if I'm not mistaken but is too far to spill over to Stafford as previously stated.

Edited by htownbro
addition

4 hours ago, htownbro said:

I think Chinatown is moving further SW with the KP plaza development @Beechnut and Beltway.  That area is considered the international district if I'm not mistaken but is too far to spill over to Stafford as previously stated.

The KP plaza development is more of an incremental growth of Chinatown than part of a discernible push southwest.  There's been a lot of development and renovations going on up and down Bellaire over the past few years.  I think you will see more in-fill happening in Chinatown and pushes down side streets where there is still land available rather than it pushing significantly in a new direction. 

There may well be some asian-oriented things that go in to The Grid, but I think those will be incidental to a new development.  What might happen if the Katy Asia Town development takes off (which it seems to be doing right now) is that something similar might pop up in the Sugarland/Missouri City area.

Edited by august948
  • Like 1

I hope not. I like Chinatown as it is and hope it continues to grow. We need "districts" so that Houston gets some character at least. Once we start spreading out it just becomes any town USA. Our Chinatown is really getting pretty nice, much better than it was when it was downtown.

• Like 2

On 4/5/2019 at 9:25 PM, texas911 said:

I hope not. I like Chinatown as it is and hope it continues to grow. We need "districts" so that Houston gets some character at least. Once we start spreading out it just becomes any town USA. Our Chinatown is really getting pretty nice, much better than it was when it was downtown.

I wouldn't worry about it spreading out.  Over the last 20 years or so it's actually gotten more concentrated with many asian businesses opening there.  It's only going to grow bigger.  That said, the asian community is spreading out as the children of first gen immigrants move to bigger, newer houses particularly on the west side.  There's already asian grocery stores and restaurants on highway 6 south of 59.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if a Sugar Land asia town develops there.  But, it will be mostly for convenience of the local residents.  The Bellaire Chinatown has hit critical mass already and is the premier area to open new stores and restaurants.