Stegeman Building At 914 Prairie St.

adr

Why would one need an "expensive" rent storefront retail space for a dedicated delivery location?

Where else would you recommend for a Downtown bicycle delivery service? It has to be a place that can be equipped for a restaurant, i.e. hopefully equipped with venting for a kitchen already.

Why would one need an "expensive" rent storefront retail space for a dedicated delivery location? By definition, they won't do an onsite retail trade, right?

Because it isn't expensive. Until downtown develops a serious retail rental market, we'll continue seeing retail spaces used for delivery-only, billboards, demo'd for parking, etc.

Because it isn't expensive. Until downtown develops a serious retail rental market, we'll continue seeing retail spaces used for delivery-only, billboards, demo'd for parking, etc.

I would love to see some of these storefronts being used by soft good retailers. Maybe with all the new residential and hotel space being added, it might make it feasible. 

Where else would you recommend for a Downtown bicycle delivery service? It has to be a place that can be equipped for a restaurant, i.e. hopefully equipped with venting for a kitchen already.

Well, I don't have another suggestion per se. But I would think that some of the old buildings down in the "parking district" might have cheaper rents and are only a few blocks away on a bike.

I honestly don't ever recall, anywhere, a storefront used for "delivery food only -- no retail trade." Perhaps there has been some and I just haven't noticed?

Actually, thinking more about it, from the sign, can we tell if the construction work is for the ground floor or could it possibly be only for the top floor?

I would love to see some of these storefronts being used by soft good retailers. Maybe with all the new residential and hotel space being added, it might make it feasible.

Yet, a new soft good store just opened on Main and they opened UPSTAIRS as I recall. I assume that they did this because the storefronts were more expensive.

Go figure! A pizza delivery-only place opens in a store front and a retailer opens upstairs!

It might also be a backup kitchen for the Frank's across the street - and it would be like Domino's where there's still a counter to go into to order a carry out order or pick it up, but no beer or by-the-slice.  Frank's needs to get there pizza capacity up if they are going to serve their entire new tower

Frank's needs to get there pizza capacity up if they are going to serve their entire new tower

Indeed.

Frank is gearing up for the new residential influx.  Any one apartment complex/tower full of people is likely to order 10 pizzas per night and he's about to have 10 of them popping up in bicycle range, to say nothing of the new hotels.

I always like getting pizza delivered to a hotel, everyone in the elevator instantly regrets that they went with the $19 cobb salad at the lobby restaurant.

Yet, a new soft good store just opened on Main and they opened UPSTAIRS as I recall. I assume that they did this because the storefronts were more expensive.

Go figure! A pizza delivery-only place opens in a store front and a retailer opens upstairs!

Which one are you referring to? Is this in Greenstreet or in a standalone building?

I think it's genius. Frank's will be a true restraint with new outdoor area for seating. Less crowded, less lines, more chill vibes.

Delivery storefront will be walk up / pick up and delivery services. I always pick up because I'm just outside downtown. This will work well

Which one are you referring to? Is this in Greenstreet or in a standalone building?

It is somewhere by Barringer.  I don't remember exactly where and went looking for it the other day.  I ended up in the upper floors of some of the other buildings there but never found it.  Cool look around those places though.

Is this next to the old Solero's and home of a coffee house at one time. Between Travis and Main behind the Rice Lofts?

Although I don't recall any coffee houses, that is more or less the spot you describe. The Solero spot was two buildings over with a law firm in the one between them.

That's right, there was a coffee shop there at one point. Then it became an Oxygen bar. Surprised that didn't stay open. 

Of course it closed.  You can get oxygen for free just by walking outside or breathing on a tree

In the late 90's early 2000 while I was managing Cabo's which is now El Big Bad, Soleros was across the street and down at Main Street Laurenzo opened a second  El Tiempo. There was a club  called the Mercury room, in the basement of the building at Main and Prairie that was in the old Isis Theater. I don't think that would be a popular name for a theater now. They featured swing bands and it had a deco theme with the theater decorations still up on the walls.

They were just starting the Cotswold project which started with our block of Prairie as a test block that eventually when completed now extends north to Commerce street. Thats when they added the angled parking, lighting, landscaping and water featured street projects.

I remember when they started digging up Prairie they took out many railroad ties from the trolleys and when they got down to the water or sewer  lines they found that they were built out of bricks which caused a delay and became an expensive replacement of all of the lines.

That was the second big heyday for Market Square and when most of the renovated buildings were full of restaurants and bars. It was pretty incredible and the nights were crazy. Main street was solid from the Rice down to U of H and so was Travis

on over to what was Power tools at the time in the basement of the Bismarck brewery building next to the bayou.

Guys, you're getting everything tangled up. 914 Prairie has been Falafel Factory and the Oxygen Bar. 912 Prairie was Kaveh Kanes, the coffeeshop from the guy that now owns Petrol Station beer bar, and has also been the Houston Downtown Alliance. 910 Prairie was Solero.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • The title was changed to Frank's Pizza Dedicated Delivery At 914 Prairie St.
  • The title was changed to Stegeman Building At 914 Prairie St.

Archived