Sign in to follow this  
CrockpotandGravel

1720 Houston Avenue

The space on the corner of Houston Avenue and Crockett Street located in the J. F. Kessler building in the First Ward (next to Cafe Brussels), is undergoing a transformation. A tattoo parlor was the last occupant of the 1720 Houston Avenue property, currently undergoing renovations to open as a coffee shop.

bZqOnMD.jpg

• Like 2

From Swamplot June 2015:

Something Completely New Coming To Old Blank Slate Spot

Blank Slate Tattoo Removal decamped from the corner spot of this building at Houston Ave and Crockett St. at the end of January. (You can head for 5320 Cornish Rd. in Cottage Grove now to correct your body-inked misspellings.) In its place, there’s a new sign up at 1720 Houston Ave., providing evidence that a new beer-and-wine-serving cafe is getting ready to move in — right next door to Café Brussels. The street-front First Ward building just north of downtown was built in 1925.

0Mat7rP.jpg

TABC notice for Cafeza at 1720 Houston Avenue.

Y5tA6rc.jpg

Photos from Swamplot

• Like 1

The cafe next to Cafe Brussels at 1720 Houston Avenue is coffee shop Cafeza.

From Cafeza's Instagram:
Cafeza is a European-style coffee bar in the First Ward district of Houston TX. It features a simple menu influenced by Spanish and Latin American cooking.

From Cafeza's profile on Yelp:

Cafeza - The Original "Cafecería"
Imagine yourself sipping a cup of artisan coffee, enjoying homemade churros y chocolates, and sampling an assortment of tapas or street-style tacos, as a steady flow of easy rhythms and the pleasant buzz of laughter and conversation floats above and around you.  That's Cafeza.

Cafeza is the original "Cafeceria", a concept inspired by the cafes of Barcelona and Buenos Aires, as well as the neighborhood cervecerias and refresquerias that are ubiquitious in the diverse Hispanic communities in and around downtown Houston.  Cafeza combines the best of both worlds, along with an infusion of Texan hospitality, to create a completely new and unique experience.

Cafeza offers an easygoing, vibrant atmosphere with design elements juxtaposing art nouveau and street art aesthetics.  Music is ever present, and evenings will feature performances by local musicians.

With the hustle and bustle of everyday life, Cafeza is more than just a neighborhood coffee shop to study or have a quick meeting.  Cafeza is a destination, so come, breathe easy, and enjoy yourself!

History

Established in 2015.

We moved to the First Ward neighborhood in Houston in 2011, and from the moment we arrived, we have been wishing that "somebody" would open a coffee shop for the First Ward.  Well, after years of working in corporate America, building someone else's vision, we decided that that "somebody" should be us.

We have been fortunate to have been able to travel around the world, and have been inspired by the cuisines and cultures that we have encountered.

With Cafeza, we hope to bring the same simplicity and warmth to Houston.  We want to create a unique place for people to come and forget about the stress of the day, and simply slow down and enjoy themselves.  We want to contribute to the culture of Houston and the First Ward district, and engage with many of the local artists, musicians, and performers that we are fortunate to have right here in our neighborhood.

• Like 1

I've been in contact with them. They are planning to open in March or April.

• Like 1

I've been in contact with them. They are planning to open in March or April.

I'm skeptical. Cafeza said they'd open in the fall of 2015. Next opening date was winter. I'll believe it when I see it. Did you see the renovation inside?

The website's been up for a while. Maybe since September or October.

Then it's revamped? They announced it was a new website on their Facebook page. I completely believe it will open in March or April. They've been doing a lot of work inside.

Edited by Triton
  • Like 1

Then it's revamped? They announced it was a new website on their Facebook page. I completely believe it will open in March or April. They've been doing a lot of work inside.

It has been updated very recently. You are right.

• Like 1

From My Table magazine:

Cafeza, a European-style coffee shop, is taking over the space next to Cafe Brussels at the corner of Houston Avenue and Crockett Street. Expect craft coffee, churros, breakfast, lunch and happy hour. It's not open yet as this issue goes to press. Check out cafeza.com and their Facebook page for more information.

j0JlHXM.jpg

The door was open today so I walked in. Met and talked with the owner. They are still building out the space and waiting on some permitting. One or two more months until opening. I think this will be a great addition to this neighborhood, hopefully it can draw in some of the downtown crowd as well. 

They got their permits and are doing heavy construction work today.

• Like 1

They're looking for a May opening date.

May? What? I was told April by Kyle the main guy overlooking the project. Maybe they changed it now?