Sign in to follow this  
CrockpotandGravel

4003 Washington Avenue & 4011 Washington Avenue

7 hours ago, Visitor said:

I'd like to think it was my rather blunt email when they announced the building, but I too would be interested to learn what actually incentivized them to change.

Lol 

Seems like this is the new plan.  I followed up my negative email with a positive one and got a response that they too were were happy with the design change. 

Leasing will determine if this gets built anytime soon...

What happened to the La Roux club that was there before? It didn't look as bad as everyone says.

In the new plans, I'm glad to see the parking lot behind the building so that this part of the Washington is more pedestrian friendly!

1 hour ago, New2Houston said:

What happened to the La Roux club that was there before? It didn't look as bad as everyone says.

In the new plans, I'm glad to see the parking lot behind the building so that this part of the Washington is more pedestrian friendly!

That half-ass monstrosity was torn down a while back. :)

54 minutes ago, Visitor said:

That half-ass monstrosity was torn down a while back. :)

Lol, was it that ugly? Or just a bad fit for the neighborhood with the rowdy crowd it brought in?

I'm new to the area. It seems the further west I go on Washington, the louder it gets at night. I have to drive carefully to avoid a bunch of drunk people walking in the middle of the street =)

In my opinion it just wasn't professionally done from a construction perspective. Looked like an amateur job.  From a clientele perspective, it wasn't as bad as the "The House" or the ever changing building next to The House. 

There was a shooting in the parking lot of LaRoux, some dumbass kids tried to rob an employee after hours and he shot at them. 

All in all this new development will look better and likely house better tenants. My .02

Oh man hahaha, it took three years (2014-2016) to build that simple metal box they called La Roux. They opened with an expired liquor license and never had it renewed. TABC didn't even know they were  operating in early 2017 from the sound of it. There was no sign.  During the 2017 Superbowl, they taped up six black posterboards with the letters L A R O U X. The letters slowly fell to the ground. It was a literal trash dump---after a while, they stopped paying for trash service so heaps of garbage would pile up behind the metal box. Many 311 requests were made...soon after, a new owner bought the block; the 3-year-old box was swiftly demolished. The Saturday night gunshots stopped and were never heard again. So, yeah, dump da-da dump, dump, dump. 

On 10/5/2018 at 9:54 PM, New2Houston said:

You're joking right? 

On 10/6/2018 at 0:07 PM, Visitor said:

In my opinion it just wasn't professionally done from a construction perspective. Looked like an amateur job.  From a clientele perspective, it wasn't as bad as the "The House" or the ever changing building next to The House. 

There was a shooting in the parking lot of LaRoux, some dumbass kids tried to rob an employee after hours and he shot at them. 

All in all this new development will look better and likely house better tenants. My .02

On 10/6/2018 at 7:59 PM, skooljunkie said:

Oh man hahaha, it took three years (2014-2016) to build that simple metal box they called La Roux. They opened with an expired liquor license and never had it renewed. TABC didn't even know they were  operating in early 2017 from the sound of it. There was no sign.  During the 2017 Superbowl, they taped up six black posterboards with the letters L A R O U X. The letters slowly fell to the ground. It was a literal trash dump---after a while, they stopped paying for trash service so heaps of garbage would pile up behind the metal box. Many 311 requests were made...soon after, a new owner bought the block; the 3-year-old box was swiftly demolished. The Saturday night gunshots stopped and were never heard again. So, yeah, dump da-da dump, dump, dump. 

3 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

You're joking right? 

No, I'm not joking. I am new to Houston and only moved here a little over a year ago. I am only basing it on the pictures earlier in the thread since I never saw the place in person.

If it's anything like Visitor or skooljunkie said, then good riddance. We don't need anymore unsafe places where people get shot at night. Those guys sound like a crazy bunch for opening without a liquor license and letting garbage pile up.

I hope that the new developer builds an appealing shopping center with great additions for the neighborhood. No more "amateur jobs" or crappy buildings please!

On 10/5/2018 at 9:54 PM, New2Houston said:

It looked every bit as bad as everyone says and worse! Adding insult to injury, it took years to never complete -- they were supposed to open a lounge in the brick building, which of course never happened. The large empty lot for parking was a mess and the owners stored their old junkers there. The best was towards the end when they attempted to plant trees on the Washington Ave side -- they couldn't even get that right and those died within weeks. Hopefully the rehab of the brick building and the redesigned strip center with the parking relocated to the rear gets built and we can forget about this forever!

17 hours ago, InTheLoopFromNYC said:

It looked every bit as bad as everyone says and worse! Adding insult to injury, it took years to never complete -- they were supposed to open a lounge in the brick building, which of course never happened. The large empty lot for parking was a mess and the owners stored their old junkers there. The best was towards the end when they attempted to plant trees on the Washington Ave side -- they couldn't even get that right and those died within weeks. Hopefully the rehab of the brick building and the redesigned strip center with the parking relocated to the rear gets built and we can forget about this forever!

It sounds like a terrible, idiotic money pit to take three years to complete a subpar building project! This reflects very poorly on whoever the business owners were. Let's hope for the best with New Quest as the development manager. They seem to do a decent job around town - even if their shopping centers look a bit cookie-cutter and overly commercial.

https://imgur.com/gallery/T5BnCjq

Oops. Torn down. 😎 Oncoming traffic is finally visible. Looks like the new building footprint is now extended and a few tenants signed on per leasing brochure. 

Sidebar: the brutal BOA drive-thru went up for sale this week on the block east.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

Was hoping that BOA drive through would go soon. Assumed it was going up for sale when they installed the new ATMs.

Where did you see the new Washington Central brochure? All the ones I can find link to the old one.  Curious if they kept parking in the back.

Interesting note, the demo permit was issued for 4015 Washington, which is the empty lot next to the building that was torn down....

Edited by Visitor

While driving yesterday I saw that they had demo'ed the older building completely. Guess they had a hard time getting it through permit or it just wasn't savable? No clue. Either way its gone now, so it will be all new construction.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Luminare said:

While driving yesterday I saw that they had demo'ed the older building completely. Guess they had a hard time getting it through permit or it just wasn't savable? No clue. Either way its gone now, so it will be all new construction.

Yep, that happened about a month ago per the post a bit further up. They recently cut down all the trees and put up some fencing. Hoping they break ground soon. Haven't heard of any possible tenants though.