Downtown Houston Won't Allow Signs

greystone08(returns)

This kind of makes me irratated for the city of Houston. Downtown Houston has so many companies here like AT&T, Exxon Mobil, Shell, and Chevron Texaco. But you would never know it because all these buildings don't have their signs put on the buildings so people know its here. Instead alot of the buildings decide to decorate the rooftops w/ Christmas lighing.Someone please tell me, what is with the ordinance of not putting signs up high downtown? I'm just curious as to why they allow it in uptown but not downtown? Continental center might be an acception but i can hardly see the building at night (So it's not good enough). Is Houston trying to keep from becoming commercial or what? Personally, i think it would do a favor for downtown Houston at night from what it has now.

Funny how houston touts the no-zoning principle...but when it comes to signs on buildings, we have to worry about aesthetics.

They will allow for suburban development of CVS structures in midtown, but not permit signs on the premise that it takes away from the appeal of the skyline...

I'm not sure i agree.

Are there any other reasons they do this?

greystone, what an excellent point!

Houston has a problem. Are we a lady or a whore?

We have dignified buildings in the theater district. We want to be regarded as the equal of Carnegie Hall. The Alley Theater and Jones Hall are regarded as acceptable architectural manifestations of how earnest we are about The Arts; Wortham Center and Hobby Center a bit less so, but hopeful.

The face of the arts is changing. In the 21st century, it turns out that Las Vegas has as much to offer as NYC. Theater thrives on tourism, and Broadway has to share the limelight with understudies. Maybe Houston can cut in on the action.

Why not? I'd like to pretend that I'm some sort of theater snob, and could dismiss Houston's efforts as second-class; but it isn't so. Any sane person can gain as much enjoyment from Houston's theater scene as anywhere else. The Theater Experience has as much to do with expectations as reality. We could use a bit more 'glitz'. Well intentioned people want to retroactively give downtown Houston a New Haven or Boston feel. It ain't gonna happen.

No. Bring on the neon! This is Space City Texas, and we ought to use Tokyo as more of a guide than Boston. Make it big. Make it gaudy. Big electronic signs! Let's show a bit of cleavage, so to speak.

Are we a lady or a whore?

Ah, I think we all know the answer to that! ;)

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the downtown sign ordinance dates from the 1970s. In part the idea was to save energy, but also because at the time neon signs were considered "tacky". Funny now that opinion has changed, and bright signage is often considered a big plus in a city. In the Tokyo theme, it would be cool to have a local Ginza with millions of neon lights.

No. Bring on the neon! This is Space City Texas, and we ought to use Tokyo as more of a guide than Boston. Make it big. Make it gaudy. Big electronic signs! Let's show a bit of cleavage, so to speak.

Anyone who agrees with this statment can never complaing about Tillman again.

The no-sign ordinance on skyscrapers dates back to the 1970's, when for over ten years the entire skyline was dominated by a giant, 40 foot, rotating, light-up Gulf sign mounted on one of our tallest buildings. If you look at a postcard of Houston from that era, you will see how horrible this made our city look.

Signs on skyscrapers can be tasteful, but if you take away that ordinance, you are opening a Pandora's box. Look at LA's skyline. Almost every building has a corporate logo on top. Personally I think it looks terrible, and our skyline looks much classier than LA's.

I think some of us are set on being negative. The city bans corporate signs in recognition of the symbolic importance of downtown to our city, and we just use it to complain about how some of the streets look. Banning corporate signs is a lot milder than telling everyday business owners what to do with their property. Why not appreciate this good faith effort - we have a beautiful, classy skyline because of it.

Perhaps we can all agree - whether you like signs or not - that downtown Houston needs to be better lit at night so as to at least exhibit some life and vitality.

I personally do not like signs on buildings... LA and San Diego are both good examples of downtown skylines where signs on buildings basically just trying to "out-yell" one another.

There are some very classy skylines out there that are dramatically lit at night - without being tacky. Washington, Chicago, Minneapolis, Atlanta, New York, Seattle and Boston all come to mind. Those should serve as models for our town.... and honestly, I'd leave the neon to Las Vegas. :)

Apart from signage, advertisements are not allowed on sides of buildings. I HATE billboards, but downtown mega-ads are sometimes cool. Ever been to the corner of Broadway and Houston St. in NYC? The ads on the buildings' blank walls are so cool the local residents fought to keep them when they were supposed to be removed. We have many ugly blank walls around downtown. I wouldn't mind a little gloss on those walls.

• The title was changed to Downtown Houston Won't Allow Signs

Archived