South Texas Intermediate Sanction Facility At 1511 Preston St.

Nate99

On 12/16/2019 at 11:15 AM, swtsig said:

is this simply being demo'd and prepped for sale or has this site been acquired and is being prepped for development? I wouldn't be surprised if this was/is one of the lots Crane and the Astros et al have acquired.

A Cherry representative said Minute Maid is the new owner. I’m not sure if that means the Harris County Houston Sports Authority or Crane and the team.

It's been a long time coming but today after a few days of fencing, they have finally started the demo of the South Texas Intermediate Sanction Facility (It also says Southern DRV Company on the front of the building). This frees up a whole block, and I'm excited to see what they put here. Even as an empty lot for now, this eyesore will not be missed. It should be gone within a couple of weeks according to the guys I spoke with this morning.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

On 12/17/2019 at 3:37 PM, Entropete said:

It's been a long time coming but today after a few days of fencing, they have finally started the demo of the South Texas Intermediate Sanction Facility (It also says Southern DRV Company on the front of the building). This frees up a whole block, and I'm excited to see what they put here. Even as an empty lot for now, this eyesore will not be missed. It should be gone within a couple of weeks according to the guys I spoke with this morning.

@Entropete Thanks for the pictures, and welcome to the forum.  Keep us posted

On 12/17/2019 at 12:27 PM, ekdrm2d1 said:

A Cherry representative said Minute Maid is the new owner. I’m not sure if that means the Harris County Houston Sports Authority or Crane and the team.

Interesting to see what Crane and the Astros will do here. Maybe more residential with ground floor bar/restaurant space.

Reminder: Crane/Astros own Block 161

25 minutes ago, tigereye said:

Our local media is slow. Culture Map first mentioned Crane owning block 161 back in 2016. 

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/03-30-16-astros-owner-gives-the-inside-scoop-on-his-two-new-restaurants-near-minute-maid-park/#slide=0

When the MMP lease was renewed in 2018, it was again mentioned as being possibly earmarked for ballpark village plans. 

https://www.chron.com/sports/astros/article/Astros-plans-future-improvements-Minute-Maid-Park-13061261.php

A couple of years ago, Crane and the Astros bought the old New Hope building on Hamilton. At the time there were rumors of additional parking.

"Jim Crane, owner of the Astros, plays a significant role in this plan. Horak-Brown said he purchased the Hamilton and has kept it operating as a dwelling until the Harrisburg building replaces it. “Once Harrisburg is complete in the fall of 2017 (likely November),” said the housing group’s president, “New Hope will relocate its corporate headquarters to its fourth floor, and the eligible residents of Hamilton will move into Harrisburg or another New Hope property. Then, Hamilton will permanently close.”

She said Crane is expected to raze the Hamilton and use the property as part of the Astros ballpark complex, possibly a parking lot. The property, now owned by Crane, is located at 320 Hamilton at Congress Avenue, just west of U.S. Highway 59."

Did anything ever happen at that site? It appears that Crane/Astros are purchasing all the land surrounding the stadium. A lot of professional teams want that sort of real estate leverage for their facilities but are looking for governmental assistance in getting the land. Maybe Crane is a step ahead of everyone else and has something big and special up his sleeve?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to South Texas Intermediate Sanction Facility - 1511 Preston St.
  • The title was changed to South Texas Intermediate Sanction Facility At 1511 Preston St.

Archived