Sign in to follow this  
CrockpotandGravel

The McCrory Building | 1010 Prairie St | Downtown

Previously posted in the Downtown Restaurant and Bar Scene Rebirth thread but deserves its own thread so we can all keep up with updates in one place.

The McCrory Building, a 26,000-square-foot three-story building, consisting of office space plus ground floor retail and dining

WHu11nw.jpg

Currently residing on the ground floor are The Moonshiners Southern Table + Bar (1000 Prairie) and Prohibition Supperclub & Bar (1008 Prairie). The owners of Prohibition are opening an underground beer garden and food hall in the 1920 constructed basement underneath, originally the Isis Theater, one of Houston’s first working theater and movie houses. The new project is called The Conservatory, expected to open in 2016 a 1010 Prairie.

Edited by CrockpotandGravel

Past articles about The Conservatory at 1010 Praire:

From Houston Chronicle:

Prohibition SupperClub brings a dining circus to town
November 28, 2014

The former Mercury Room and Boca Bar now houses a chef-driven restaurant with a speakeasy-inspired bar and an adjoining theater space (the former 1930s Isis Theatre) where the Moonlight Dolls entertainment troupe will perform burlesque and vaudeville-style acts on weekends. Sometime in the summer, the owners plan to open a beer garden and food hall in the space's basement level.

After the beer garden is up and running, Mai and Pham also have a few more ideas for untapped space in their leased building. They're not saying just now what it is, but if it's anything like what Prohibition now offers it will underscore that the circus has permanently come to town.

From Houston Business Journal:

Burlesque dancers, hydroponic plants and a beer garden to cohabit under one roof downtown
September 19, 2014

Plans for the space call for three different concepts: Prohibition Supperclub & Bar; theater featuring The Moonlight Dolls burlesque entertainers and that can be rented as private event space; and a food conservatory and beer garden in the basement. The food conservatory will help fill the lack of eating options downtown, especially at night, and will have four kitchens leased to vendors on short-term agreements. The idea is to give food truck operators or up-and-coming chefs a creative outlet.

This space was formerly two separate concepts, Boca Bar and Mercury Room. How did you come about moving here? Once we found out we had to move, we looked all over Houston and we knew of this space (and) thought it would be perfect. But we didn’t know how to make it work. Boca Bar was too small, and Mercury Room had too low of ceilings.

The only solution was for us to take both. And so we changed the layout, and that’s when we came up with the concept for the downstairs food conservatory.

From Houston Business Journal:

Downtown burlesque bar reveals more details on new beer garden, food hall
March 4, 2015

Prohibition Supperclub & Bar's co-owner, Anh Mai, reached out to the Houston Business Journal with new details about an upcoming underground beer garden and conservatory that will debut by the end of summer.

The new concept will take up 7,000 square feet in the basement of the supper club and burlesque venue, and will be adorned with a 20-foot living wall and a greenhouse under the staircase.

The buildout will cost $700,000 and is being funded by Silent Theatre Restaurant Group, which is owned by Mai and his partner, Lian Pham.

The space will feature four food vendors in stalls as well as two food carts. Silent Theatre has deals pending with potential vendors.

Mai said he's looking to attract the downtown lunch and after-work happy hour crowds, but with a closing time of 1 a.m. on the weekdays and 2 a.m. on the weekends, the conservatory will cater to a late-night crowd as well.

With the conservatory, late-night food options downtown will significantly increase. Mai said that variety of food options is a focus as he looks for tenants for short-term, one- to two-year leases.

"It's not going to be run-of-the-mill pizza and Chinese food," Mai said. "The whole idea is that it's definitely not your cookie-cutter food purveyors; it's grassroots, not corporate."

Mai said they've been in talks with food truck concepts in other cities like Austin and New York.

The space will also include a beer garden along with communal tables and patio furniture.

"It's very relaxed and casual, not expensive," Mai said.

"People love beer gardens," Mai added. "And the cool thing about this is that we are a beer garden, but we are air conditioned."

A blurb from Houston Chronicle May 2015:

The Rice Box truck goes brick and mortar - with a difference

...And now downtown, beneath the swanky new Prohibition restaurant and nightclub, owners Liam Pham and Anh Mai plan to open Conservatory, a beer garden with a food-hall component featuring a half-dozen vendors serving from stalls and carts. Its late hours will cater to the bar and club crowd.

Previously posted in the Downtown Restaurant and Bar Scene Rebirth thread

I guess the burlesque place didn't make it. Oh well.

Why would you think that?

From the linked article:  "Joining the fray along with The Moonshiners, rumored bar from Wooster's Garden owners across the street, Barringer, and next door neighbor Prohibition Supperclub & Bar's forthcoming adjacent beer garden."

Prohibition Supper Club is next door to this new bar and apparently is planning an adjacent bar garden.  (I wonder where, exactly, Prohibition will be putting a beer garden?)  Edit:  Found it.  They (the Prohibition people) have always planned a beer garden and "food conservatory" in the basement.  I had presumed beer garden meant outdoors.

Prohibition is still open, still doing shows.

I thought it was a separate standalone establishment in the space the article mentioned, clearly I need to do more research on the Burlesque place.

I am wondering what is up with a few places if anybody has any insight;

• Christian's Tailgate - I assumed they would have wanted to be open by Football season.
  • Live Sports Bar - Same - I still see them doing renovations but extremely slowly.  
  • Basement bar underneath Prohibition

The Conservatory, the underground beer hall next to Prohibition (1008 Prairie) has filed for their COA with the HAHC.

http://www.houstontx.gov/planning/Commissions/docs_pdfs/hahc/Application_Materials/December_MATERIALS/1008_Prairie_MATERIALS.pdf

Very interesting about who the Prohibition people have partnered with for their underground food hall and beer garden, Conservatory. Listed on the above document is Blini Hoxha, owner of next door The Moonshiners Southern Table + Bar and upcoming downtown honky tonk, Boots n Shoots on Main. He's also the owner and partners of Pub Fiction, Shot Bar, 3rd Floor, Crisp and Beer Market + Co. I was excited to see Houston's first food hall at Conservatory but with Hoxha's involvement, not so much any more.

Past pieces on Conservatory

Burlesque dancers, hydroponic plants and a beer garden to cohabit under one roof downtown - Houston Business Journal

Downtown burlesque bar reveals more details on new beer garden, food hall - Houston Business Journal

Conservatory - Eater

Why does his involvement make you less excited? Just genuinely curious; the places you mentioned IMO do well and serve distinct rolls in the DT,Midtown nightlife scene. Now if it was the guys from Gas Lamp lol

Yes, those places do well, more over the bars, but not so with the restaurants. The food at Beer Market + Co, Crisp and The Moonshiners aren't that good. For Beer Market + Co. to be a beer bar, it falls flat. So when the owner of those concepts partners is involved with food and beer places, I don't have the highest of hopes for quality and great tasting food, and a comprehensive craft beer selection. Maybe Prohibition's owners will make sure this food hall and beer garden don't fall short because their food and drinks are very good. 

well, we do have to have some places for the doucheoisie to congregate in order for us cool kids to be undisturbed in our cool kids' hangouts.  :ph34r:

Yes, yes, but let's hope Blini Hoxha doesn't turn Conservatory into that. I peeked inside a few days and construction is coming along.

adr, on 06 Dec 2015 - 11:00 AM, said:snapback.png

The proposed signage rendering for Conservatory at 1010 Prairie:

WaCPOss.jpg

The signage was denied at last month's HAHC meeting because it failed to meet certain criterias. Per the application note: The proposed interior lit plastic channel letters are not compatible with the building or the Main Street Market Square Historic District. 

H/T to https://twitter.com/chrisandrewsCDA/status/676774721627664384

Construction on Prohibition Supperclub & Bar's underground beer garden and food hall, Conservatory:

Y0TY5zJ.jpg
[Photo taken October 2015, Conservatory on Facebook]

Progress is being made on Houston's first food hall/beer garden.

V61ComN.jpg
[Photo taken November 2015, Conservatory on Facebook]

Stainless is still my favorite color #foodhall #beergarden #houston #openingsoon

10401034_10154994551622837_5437627903475
[Photo taken December 2015, Conservatory on Facebook]

• Like 3

That's some serious hoodage.

• Like 1

What is the red building next to it?

I have never seen it open.

I tried to find something about it and couldn't, other than a dentist's office once was housed there by the old sign still on the window.

Myth Kafe at 1730 Jefferson uploaded this picture last week to Facebook of Prohibition Supperclub & Bar's Conservatory at 1010 Prairie but took it down. I was only able to screenshot a cache page of it:

Stairwell at 1010 Prairie St, entrance to the Conservatory Beer Garden and Food Hall.

5wcHpSm.jpg

My OCD is having a problem with the concept of an indoor beer garden. It's just not making good marketing sense.

I could get over it with a good beer though.

Edited by Nate99
  • Like 2

My OCD is having a problem with the concept of an indoor beer garden. It's just not making good marketing sense.

I could get over it with a good beer though.

Where else could they build a beer garden at this property? There's no outdoor space for one. There's more space underground. It may not make good marketing scene to you but it'll bring big dollars there no doubt. Hipsters are constantly looking for cool spots and this looks like it could be. From write ups about this, there will also be food vendors or a food hall, that's on trend in other parts of the country.

Where else could they build a beer garden at this property? There's no outdoor space for one. There's more space underground. It may not make good marketing scene to you but it'll bring big dollars there no doubt. Hipsters are constantly looking for cool spots and this looks like it could be. From write ups about this, there will also be food vendors or a food hall, that's on trend in other parts of the country.

My complaint is entirely superficial and peculiar to my own psyche, hence the OCD reference. When I read "beer garden" I think "outdoor".  A beer garden in the basement is like a mountaintop submarine, it just makes no sense to me.

I need a beer, this looks like a lovely place to enjoy one.

Edited by Nate99
  • Like 2

Maybe they should call it an "Underground Brew Hall."

They know more about running bars and restaurants than I do, so I'd not change it if I were them on my account, but this makes more sense.

They know more about running bars and restaurants than I do, so I'd not change it if I were them on my account, but this makes more sense.

It is somewhat of a misnomer but we'll have to wait and see how it turns out. I'm happy to see another beer bar in Downtown and one with good food I hope.

El Burro & the Bull is the first known food vendor for Conservatory, Prohibition Supper Club & Bar's food hall and underground beer garden at 1010 Prairie St:

From CultureMap:

Ousted pitmaster brings Franklin Barbecue pedigree to downtown beer garden

...In this case, figuring things out means focusing on El Burro & the Bull, the barbecue-based project Avila operates with his wife Veronica and his brother Jesse Gallegos. He's found a new home at Conservatory, the downtown beer garden that's opening below Prohibition Supper Club & Bar

Ben McPherson, culinary directory for Conservatory owners the Silent Theatre Group, explains the reason he approached Avila about coming on board as one of the four providers in the food hall-style concept.

"Simple. Have you tried his barbecue? We did a tasting with him, and he literally floored us with his food," McPherson says. "He has an amazing track record and pedigree, too. The whole thing has come together very organically."

As soon as next month, Avila will serve standard barbecue plates and sandwiches at lunch. At night, he'll mix in some basket items like boudain balls, sausage plates and smoked chicken wings. If all goes according to plan, El Burro will even offer delivery of breakfast tacos to downtown offices.

From CultureMap's Houston's 10 most-anticipated bar and restaurant openings of winter 2016, a blurb about Conservatory:

Plans for this beer garden located beneath Prohibition are beginning to take shape ahead of its opening next month. In addition to an extensive selection of craft brews, the space will feature four food vendors — giving the city its first taste of the food hall concept that's sweeping the country. As pitmaster John Avila revealed to CultureMap, he'll be serving barbecue as El Burro and the Bull alongside three other vendors. While the remaining identities are still unknown, rumors suggest that all three concepts are already well-known to the dining public.

Conservatory, located below Prohibition at 1010 Prairie opens next month.

From the Houston Chronicle:

Conservatory opening March 1 as Houston’s first food hall

Houston's first curated food hall – a multi-vendor culinary wonderland featuring a beer garden with more than 60 taps and seating for 250 – is quietly being readied in an underground space downtown.

Conservatory is the name of the concept that is expected to open March 1 at 1010 Prairie at Main (under Prohibition Supperclub & Bar). Prohibition co-owners Anh Mai and Lian Pham, the entrepreneurs who opened Prohibition in 2014, are working hard to debut the food hall in a 7,500 square-foot basement space (where the Mercury Room once operated) they envisioned in the former 1930s Isis Theatre.

Four food vendors have been selected to operate in Conservatory: Melange Creperie (which will partner with Southside Espresso of Montrose to offer crepes and coffee); El Burro & the Bull (a barbecue concept from pitmaster John Avila); Samurai Noodle (a Seattle-based ramen shop which currently has a brick and mortar store on Durham); and Myth Kafe, a Greek café moving from its downtown location.

Ben McPherson, executive chef of Prohibition and culinary director for Conservatory, said the partners, who hand-picked the vendors for the project, were looking for operators who were unique and had a strong local following. "Each will have its own identity and look," McPherson said.

The Prohibition-run bar will offer tap beer, wine and sake with selections that will work well with each of the food concessions. Example: Greek wines will be offered to pair with food from Myth Kafe.

"We were looking for not just the four best vendors, we were looking to hit certain markets – coffee and crepes, an Asian concept, another ethnic concept and something that was very Texas like barbecue – so that there was something for everyone," said Mai.

Conservatory will feature an entrance anchored by a "living garden" wall of plants. A grand staircase takes customers down to the large beer garden where the vendors will line the left and right sides of the room with seating in the middle and under the stairs. There's also seating at each food station and in front of the long beer tap section. Pham said Conservatory is meant to evoke a living green house. Overall the room will have a raw, industrial look with exposed piping and fixtures.

The partners are calling Conservatory Houston's first food hall which, unlike a mall food court, is open after lunch hours and features mostly independent vendors specializing in unique culinary offerings. Nationally, food halls are hot stuff: there's the new St. Roch Market in New Orleans; Union Station in Denver; Gansevoort Market in New York; Krog Street Market in Atlanta; Grand Central Market in Los Angeles; and Chicago French Market in Chicago to name a few.

Mai said his vendors are not precluded from growing their brand outside of Conservatory. "We want them to open other things. This can be a springboard for them to open a brick and mortar and maybe refine their concept a little more," he said.

Conservatory will further distinguish itself from local food courts (and from other downtown restaurants, for that matter) with its hours. It will open daily for lunch and dinner starting at 11 a.m. through midnight; on Thursdays it will stay open until 2 a.m. and Friday and Saturday until 3 a.m. Brunch will be offered on Saturday and Sunday.

• Like 1

Having food open until 3am is great news for Downtown.

Beyond great. 

I hate the "invisible hand" 2am curfew they put on the residents of Houston.

• Like 1

By the way the previous mention of Blini being a partner with Conservatory is incorrect.  He is the landlord but not involved in the establishment.

• Like 1

Beyond great. 

I hate the "invisible hand" 2am curfew they put on the residents of Houston.

It sure is. I wish we had everything open till 4am like in NYC.

• Like 1

Asked them on FB if they were open and they said it would be a few more weeks due to permitting. 

On 2/3/2016 at 5:00 PM, CrockpotandGravel said:

Conservatory will feature an entrance anchored by a "living garden" wall of plants. A grand staircase takes customers down to the large beer garden where the vendors will line the left and right sides of the room with seating in the middle and under the stairs. There's also seating at each food station and in front of the long beer tap section. Pham said Conservatory is meant to evoke a living green house. Overall the room will have a raw, industrial look with exposed piping and fixtures.

Here's a picture of the living garden entrance:

0GWIM5G.jpg
[Photo from Instagram]

The underground beer garden
LnN39Or.jpg
[Photo from Instagram]

A closer look at the plants on the wall from the above photo:
HQqD5Da.jpg
[Photo from Instagram]

VSsKVX5.jpg
[Instagram]

• Like 5

On 3/9/2016 at 11:10 AM, kylejack said:

This is looking great! Seems like they've invested quite a bit.

Yes, it is. They have done extensive work and restoration, that the two year wait for this looks like it may be worth it.

21 hours ago, Montrose1100 said:

Is it FINALLY open yet??

Man I wish!! They're holding small previews for family and friends while they continue to finish getting the bar and food hall in place. Management told me through a Facebook message Conservatory will open in early April and apologized for the delay. They said they wanted to make sure everything is perfect. I want to see this for myself because the transformation is very cool from the pictures.

Photos of Conservatory beneath Prohibition Supperclub & Bar at 1010 Prairie:

vHR6hYD.jpg

ykWOqqw.jpg

[Photos from El Burro & The Bull on Facebook]

Not open to the public yet. This is killing me. I want to go.

• Like 4

Had lunch at the gyro place. Not bad at all, unless you're sitting near me post garlic fries.

• Like 4