Sign in to follow this  
CrockpotandGravel

Medical Center Crossing at 1709 Dryden (Medical Towers)

Naviguessor    1,441

Surely it's a 200 Key Hotel.  Or, something a lot more than 20. 

Very cool, never the less. 

Quite a hotel boom we are hearing in TMC.

Edited by Naviguessor
  • Like 1

CrockpotandGravel    4,336

It is and I made a typo. I'll make the correction.

brian0123    381

Go Fish and a BBQ place just vacated this building, told me rent was too high. Hopefully this reno brings more food options to the area.

KinkaidAlum    2,258

An Embassy Suites is a perfect hotel for that location. It's amazing to me how few hotels are within walking distance of the hospitals. Families coming here for treatment has so many things to worry about; rental cars and directions shouldn't be one of them!

I also love that it doesn't appear to be changing the building too much. I've always liked the Medical Tower.

Triton    9,105

The hotel boom is happening across the country. 2015 was the best year for hotel occupancy ever at 65.9%. It beat the previous record in 2000 at 64.8%.

From Swamplot

Embassy Suites To Send Envoy to Baylor’s Old Dryden Haunt in the Medical Center

Just north of the hypodermic peaks of the St. Luke’s Medical Tower on Main St., the tower at 1709 Dryden Rd. is slated for redevelopment as the Medical Center Crossing complex — the office space, leased by Baylor as recently as 2013, will be converted into an Embassy Suites hotel (shown from the northeast corner in the rendering above). The tower was sold at the end of 2014 to an entity connected to Pritesh Patel — the Fort Worth developer who previously purchased the Samuel F. Carter building at 806 Main St. and turned it into a JW Marriott after peeling off the building’s extra glass-and-marble skin.

Ground-level retail will remain and expand — a siteplan released by Transwestern shows most of the building’s remaining restaurant tenants still in place, with an existing parking garage ramp exiting onto Fannin seemingly replaced by a 1,670-sq.-ft. storefront spot (Retail E in the plan below):

The Chipotle at the corner of Dryden and Fannin (right alongside the southbound Dryden/TMC light-rail stop) looks as though it will remain in place, pending the outcome of the chain’s ongoing run-in with federal authorities. The Starbucks next door appears in the current plans as well, as do Subway and Salata.

Around the corner on the Main St. side of the siteplan, only Cliff’s Grill remains in place, where it has been flipping patties since 1978.

Edited by CrockpotandGravel

From Houston Chronicle:

Developer proposes Medical Center redevelopment with hotel

A plan is stirring to renovate the Medical Towers office development in the Texas Medical Center and add a 230-room Embassy Suites to the site at 1709 Dryden.

Renderings and a site plan of the future project are shown in a marketing brochure being circulated by retail brokers with commercial real estate firm Transwestern.

The development, which will include 23,000 square-feet of restaurant/retail space on the street level, is to be called Medical Center Crossing.

An entity affiliated with Pearl Hospitality purchased the medical center property at the end of 2014, records show. Pearl recently turned downtown's 806 Main into a JW Marriott.

Baylor College of Medicine has had offices in the Medical Towers building, which was developed in 1956 and designed by Skidmore, Owings and Merrill.

OffCite.org, the website for Rice Design Alliance's Cite magazine, describes the property's design, which has won several awards.

In a concession to Houston's hot, sunny climate, the long elevations of the rectangular tower are clad with a curtain wall of turquoise, enameled-steel panels that alternate with narrow strips of dark gray, tinted solar glass. The narrow end walls, roughly facing east and west, are solid brick. In 1954, the building won a design award in the first annual P/A Awards program. The Medical Towers Building went on to win a national design award from the AIA and a statewide design award from the Texas Society of Architects, both in 1957. It also won a design award from the Houston AIA in 1960.

Crock you've put Swamplot and The Chron to shame these past few weeks.

I concur!

Thanks but I'm all about new buildings and repurposed ones emerging in Houston. It's exciting!

Urbannizer    33,406

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2017/01/12/tmc-hotel-expected-to-break-ground-this-year.html

Lubbock, Texas-based Pearl Hospitality is moving forward on it latest Houston-area hotel with plans to break ground at the end of 2017.

Archit Sanghvi, regional vice president at Pearl Hospitality's JW Marriott Houston Downtown, told the Houston Business Journal that the hospitality group is currently in the design phases of its the Embassy Suites in the Texas Medical Center. Pearl expects to open the hotel by the end of 2018, Sanghvi said.

• Like 2

brian0123    381

Thanks Urbannizer, that's great news. The TMC needs more things like this. It's probably the most walkable part of town (you kind of have to in order to get around) and dining/hotel options are lacking. This, coupled w/ the condos and hotel across the street being built, will be a nice boost of options in the area.

Subdude    1,308

Along with the Le Meridien/Melrose Building redevelopment, this represents a big step in preservation and reuse of mid-century modern turquoise buildings.  I for one  couldn't be happier. 

• Like 3

Great to see more food options and GFR opening up in the Med Center. When I was at Rice, the Chipotle and Subway in this building were the only walking-distance food options open in the evening. Halal Guys, Roti, and Mod Pizza are awesome adds.

Elseed    42

I wish Downtown developers thought like this. Those stupid Downtown tunnels really did destroy Downtown Houston street life.