Midtown Shoppes At 3030 Travis St.

Urbannizer

This has definitely been scrapped, but good to know that the owner/developer for that land has the appetite for a project of this scale.  With it's exposure to the new superblock park, proximity to MATCH and Mid Main, I'd think this will still be a high-profile development even though we may have missed it for this cycle.  I think we will see a lot fewer full-block apartment projects, and more high-rise/mid-rise developments that just take up a portion of the block (high-rise maybe full block).  Land prices are pretty level right now, but once these new residences move-in and all the amenities fill out, it will be harder to make a Pearl Midtown, or Camden Midtown economical unless you really jack up the rents.

• Like 7

This has definitely been scrapped, but good to know that the owner/developer for that land has the appetite for a project of this scale. With it's exposure to the new superblock park, proximity to MATCH and Mid Main, I'd think this will still be a high-profile development even though we may have missed it for this cycle. I think we will see a lot fewer full-block apartment projects, and more high-rise/mid-rise developments that just take up a portion of the block (high-rise maybe full block). Land prices are pretty level right now, but once these new residences move-in and all the amenities fill out, it will be harder to make a Pearl Midtown, or Camden Midtown economical unless you really jack up the rents.

Good insight. I don't mind smaller or less full block developments. We certainly got A LOT this time around.

• 3 years later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
6 minutes ago, Triton said:

Excited for this project but they really have some boring designs. Good infill though!

Boring, but competent and consistent. Would really like to see ZC push the envelope on something, but one thing is for sure...they maintain a satisfactory level of consistency and quality. They have their designs down to a science, which is why they may appear to be boring. They are a corporate firm remember. With that being said they are a great firm to do exactly what you just mentioned which is infill. Every city needs at least a few firms that are like a ZC. Nothing to write home about, but nothing to argue about either. The more infill we get from firms like these, the less space to build tract projects, the more opportunities for stand out projects because of land value/return on investment.

• Like 7

Just now, wilcal said:

First midtown mid-rise project announced since parking minimums were eliminated? 

Feel like it'll skew higher end though. 

This is whats most intriguing about the timing of this announcement. Is this going to be the first to fully embrace the new market-based parking scheme. I really hope so.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Thanks. 

Based on Oxberry Group's last residential project, does anyone think this one will be similar in design?

No unfortunately. The article mentions Ziegler Cooper as the architect, Mondrian at the Museums was designed by Perkins+Will. ZC does not have anything similar to Perkins+Will's work. 

• Like 3

• The title was changed to 3017 Milam: 12-Story Multifamily by Oxberry Group