Hyatt Place/Hyatt House Hotel At 7329 Fannin St.

Urbannizer

On 11/27/2019 at 7:18 AM, BeerNut said:

When can we start converting parking garages to have cabanas and roof top pools?

lol, structural PE here, i haven't done a parking garage design but i did have to analyze one for a construction addition we did to one of the interior floors...garage live loads vs office live loads is very non-intuitive until you run the math...typical garage live load is 40-50 psf with a point load of ~4 kips or so....for office live loads, its ~75-100 psf....if its a pool, i suspect the loads are way higher....anyways, we had to make our addition as light as possible

• Like 5

6 hours ago, MexAmerican_Moose said:

lol, structural PE here, i haven't done a parking garage design but i did have to analyze one for a construction addition we did to one of the interior floors...garage live loads vs office live loads is very non-intuitive until you run the math...typical garage live load is 40-50 psf with a point load of ~4 kips or so....for office live loads, its ~75-100 psf....if its a pool, i suspect the loads are way higher....anyways, we had to make our addition as light as possible

utf81xd.jpg

A small wading pool is probably enough.  Could be smaller than the one at Cle.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

On 5/19/2020 at 8:56 AM, Mike Vibes said:

Anyone know if there has been any activity on this one lately?

I went by the site this morning and it appears that some minor dirt work has started. I didn't see a crew on site but that could have just been bad timing. 

• Like 4

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/19/2020 at 11:17 AM, MexAmerican_Moose said:

I've got a project right now where the owner wants to add a swimming pool the roof an existing two story building. The roof framing is bar joists. Long story short, we performed a feasibility study to see what would have to be done. I think they laughed out loud when I told them the roof framing failed by a factor of 10, the columns failed, and even the foundations failed. They still want us to design new framing to support the swimming pool. Luckily this garage is new construction, but it does kind of concern me that theyre goign to put a swimming pool, full of chlorides over the top of the garage with all its exposed elements...

This is going to be a maintenance issue for the owner

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Purdueenginerd said:

This is going to be a maintenance issue for the owner

But the view...

Seriously, it never ceases to amaze me how owners will often agressively cheese out on things during the design and VE stages (like the fabulous views from the parking garage here) but not give a flying flip at a rolling doughnut about long term maintenance costs.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Hyatt House/Hyatt Place and Homewood Suites Hotels at Fannin/OST TMC

https://www.cpexecutive.com/post/construction-launches-on-houston-hyatt-hotel/

Developer Satya has broken ground on a 350,000-square-foot Hyatt hotel in Houston’s Texas Medical Center, marking the first project for the hospitality brand in the world’s largest medical complex.

The 14-story dual-branded property, located in a Qualified Opportunity Zone at the corner of Old Spanish Trail and Fannin Street, will house a 159-key Hyatt Place and a 139-key Hyatt House. Once completed, the project will mark the first dual-branded Hyatt property in Houston to be housed in one contiguous tower.

The hotel is rising within the sprawling Texas Medical Center, a 2.1-square-mile neighborhood with more than 60 medical institutions, about 7 miles south of downtown. Houston-based real estate consulting firm Satya is the owner and developer behind the property, which is slated to be completed in 2022.

• Like 5

• The title was changed to Hyatt Place/Hyatt House and Homewood Suites Hotels at Fannin/OST TMC