Aldine Mail Route

comstone

I realize stronger forums about Aldine were long addressed, but I hope others can help support a survey for Aldine local culture.

A few old YouTube videos <https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=aldine+jail+route>created the meme of "Aldine Jail Route" about 4-3 years ago. I've cycled and walked around the AMR and don't find obvious graffiti/tagging of the "jail route" reference, and I wonder if the motif has died (or others have moved away).

One of the musicians also calls Aldine as the "8th Ward" yet I can't find other references.

Any discussion, suggestions, are appreciated.

This is true of the Heights too. Once upon a time, the cool thing was to substitute the eight with an 8 in Heights, resulting in H8S. Never understood that one, as I initially read it as "hates". Likely others made the same mistake, as it seems to have fallen out of use in more recent years.

Never heard the "Jail Route" slang. That's a new one to me.

• 1 month later...

Aldine Mail Route.

In the old days, all of the roads were dirt out there.  The US Postal Service is required by law to have a road clear for moving mail. 

My guess is that Aldine Mail Route was named for being the first dirt road that was consistently graded (smoothed) for this reason.

• 5 years later...
On 12/20/2015 at 10:24 PM, Purpledevil said:

This is true of the Heights too. Once upon a time, the cool thing was to substitute the eight with an 8 in Heights, resulting in H8S. Never understood that one, as I initially read it as "hates". Likely others made the same mistake, as it seems to have fallen out of use in more recent years.

Never heard the "Jail Route" slang. That's a new one to me.

The 8 spelled is eight they just added the H in front and the S at the end to spell Heights or H8S I've also seen H8$. Later on they started using 485, 485 upside down on a pager (Back then) spelled H8S or Heights. Also there was a gang Called the 8 Ball Posse back then.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Samuel Herrera said:

The 8 spelled is eight they just added the H in front and the S at the end to spell Heights or H8S I've also seen H8$. Later on they started using 485, 485 upside down on a pager (Back then) spelled H8S or Heights. Also there was a gang Called the 8 Ball Posse back then.

On 7/7/2021 at 3:24 PM, Samuel Herrera said:

Possibly a reference to the Heights ZIP code (77008)?

On 7/11/2021 at 10:53 PM, dbigtex56 said:

Possibly a reference to the Heights ZIP code (77008)?

It was because of the 8 Ball Posse Gang in that area. Other gangs in that area around that time were known as follows:

* Puro Heights
* Sunset Heights
* 6 1/2 Street
* Bad Company Posse (BCP)
* The Eight Ball Posse
* Woodland Heights

Just to name a few.

On 7/11/2021 at 7:01 PM, cowboybud said:

A few years ago I ran across a local hip-hop act with a "song" called "56 Airline" (the Metro route from Aldine/Greenspoint to downtown).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXEnJf4SgJk

Greenridge north represent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKY44B7WMHc

(Both videos NSFW language)

WT??? did I just watch LOL.

• The title was changed to Aldine Mail Route