East Village: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 St. Emanuel St.

So does anyone know how parking for East Village works? The valet nazis are kind of frustrating and current construction limits street parking... I've been told that if you tell them you are going to one of the restaurants you can park for free... Pretty sure I did this once before? I recently visited on a non-event Sunday afternoon and they said parking was still $10?!

I don't remember seeing any posted prices and the signs at the driveways just say something like "Private Lot - Parking for East Village customers only". 

As I understand, this area is considered Central Business District so paying to park isn't a surprise. $10 on a Sunday afternoon is kind of steep, or am I just being cheap? 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Pickley Nickely said:

So does anyone know how parking for East Village works? The valet nazis are kind of frustrating and current construction limits street parking... I've been told that if you tell them you are going to one of the restaurants you can park for free... Pretty sure I did this once before? I recently visited on a non-event Sunday afternoon and they said parking was still $10?!

I don't remember seeing any posted prices and the signs at the driveways just say something like "Private Lot - Parking for East Village customers only". 

As I understand, this area is considered Central Business District so paying to park isn't a surprise. $10 on a Sunday afternoon is kind of steep, or am I just being cheap? 

You can always park at the city of Houston parking management lot for $5 at 2020 McKinney 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Yet another great new addition to Eado... 🥐

https://houston.eater.com/2019/8/9/20798676/koffeteria-opening-houston-eado-fall-2019-chef-vanarin-kuch

"Koffeteria, a new bakery from Top Chef contestant Vanarin Kuch, will open its doors in EaDo this fall.  The former Tiny Boxwoods pastry chef tells Eater that his new pastry destination will debut at 1110 Hutchins Street, Suite 102, later this fall (late October)."

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Just came across this article regarding Conservatory and Prohibition moving to the former Chapman and Kirby spot as part of the East Village development in EaDo, on St. Emanuel. More good news for EaDo!

https://m.chron.com/entertainment/restaurants-bars/article/Ambitious-new-food-hall-projects-slated-for-EaDo-14937598.php

• Like 2

I'm sure the new space will be great, but this is kind of disappointing for me... Conservatory is my favorite place in Houston and it's a great place to start a night downtown. EaDo is less convenient/exciting imo, though I guess there's a lot of cool stuff around there as well so maybe it's not the end of the world.

• Like 7

As you can probably gather from my name, I am pretty excited about this. Chapman just didn't seem like the right fit for the area.

This will be a great addition to the neighborhood. 

The downtown spaces will recover, but if Chapman had left without a replacement, it would have taken more time to find a suitable replacement.  

• Like 6

15 hours ago, kbates2 said:

Yeah this sucks. Conservatory is great as is in its current space.  Big loss for downtown.

Yeah but now downtown is saturated with food halls. Conservatory served it's purpose in opening the door to something new for Houston, and downtown in general. The good news is that it isn't closed for good. It's just moving to a neighborhood that is in need of a food hall concept. 

• Like 6

15 hours ago, Eastdwntwn said:

As you can probably gather from my name, I am pretty excited about this. Chapman just didn't seem like the right fit for the area.

This will be a great addition to the neighborhood. 

The downtown spaces will recover, but if Chapman had left without a replacement, it would have taken more time to find a suitable replacement.  

I agree. Chapman and Kirby didn't have the right vibe for the area (Miss Carousel does it much, much better), and I'm very excited to have Conservatory taking over the space.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Yeah but now downtown is saturated with food halls. Conservatory served it's purpose in opening the door to something new for Houston, and downtown in general. The good news is that it isn't closed for good. It's just moving to a neighborhood that is in need of a food hall concept. 

Agreed with this 100%. With the opening of the foodhalls, I was wondering about conservatory's viability, and talking to the pho guys they said it had slowed a little bit. This gives them a chance to breathe and serve a community in need of late night eats.

But I do hope the space is being preserved for other cool stuff.

Edited by X.R.
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, rechlin said:

The building with Conservatory and Prohibition is now on the market.  Wonder if the owner is wanting to get out now that it lost two of its biggest tenants?

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/1004-Prairie-St-Houston-TX/13441245/

What would a buyer do with this building? Trying to phrase this right..... if sold, the chances of it being torn down are really slim correct?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Texasota said:

I can't tell if this is serious or just trolling...

totally serious, have you been to Conservatory at night? Every square foot of sidewalk on that block has a bum laying on it. It's so bad you can't get to Conservatory without stepping over people, and forget it if you're female.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Texasota said:

I have only been to Conservatory at night, and generally with at least one woman. Conservatory is a go-to for taking guests from out of town. 

Are there homeless downtown? Sure, but the idea that downtown is "bum-infested" is hyperbole to say the least. 

I don't think anyone would deny that DT has a large problem with homeless people or panhandlers. Especially on that corner on the left side from the conservatory. 

If you come from the train or the west side of mainstreet, it is a nice walk with active pedestrian life an night

If you come from anywhere east of Conservatory, it is more like @Tumbleweed_Tx said - the only people on the sidewalk are the ones who will be there in the morning.  Doesn't help that right now, there's nothing in the building on the NE corner of Fannin & Prairie, and that big surface lot seems like a black hole of darkness at night 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cspwal said:

If you come from the train or the west side of mainstreet, it is a nice walk with active pedestrian life an night

If you come from anywhere east of Conservatory, it is more like @Tumbleweed_Tx said - the only people on the sidewalk are the ones who will be there in the morning.  Doesn't help that right now, there's nothing in the building on the NE corner of Fannin & Prairie, and that big surface lot seems like a black hole of darkness at night 

This I largely agree with - anywhere you start to have a lot of vacancy (either lots/surface parking or empty buildings) starts to feel a lot less comfortable. I still don't think the problem is a particularly large homeless population - the problem is that the homeless are the only people consistently in those areas and there's just not enough other people and activities.

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Koffeteria Bakery coming to EaDo East Village
  • 4 months later...
9 hours ago, HoustonMidtown said:

The deal to relocate Prohibition to EaDo has fallen apart. Instead, the building at 2118 Lamar St. will resume operations as Chapman & Kirby this Thursday, May 14.

Damn so does that mean the end of Conservatory? 😥 Hopefully the other location in the Galleria area opens soon and is comparable to what they had before.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...