East Village: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 St. Emanuel St.

Lots of momentum in this area and a lot of it is now coming from very established proprietors. Construction will certainly have some affect but Polk through street isn't going anywhere and it's looking more and more likely that the park will be a reality. Don't be shocked to hear of yet unannounced multi family and hospitality developments too. 

• Like 6

16 hours ago, swtsig said:

Lots of momentum in this area and a lot of it is now coming from very established proprietors. Construction will certainly have some affect but Polk through street isn't going anywhere and it's looking more and more likely that the park will be a reality. Don't be shocked to hear of yet unannounced multi family and hospitality developments too. 

I love the insiders such as yourself.. thanks for all the info!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, nate4l1f3 said:

There was an old Ferris wheel back there but since my last visit I haven’t seen it. Anyone know what’s up?

They said they took it down for a tune-up, but it is going to be back. This is how they responded to someone’s same question on Facebook. 

Edited by ryrohtx
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Confirmed. Houston brewery True Anomaly Brewing is opening in East Village in EaDo.

From Houston Business Journal today:

Several new concepts are on tap for the East Village mixed-use development, including a new brewery that was founded by four current and former NASA employees.

True Anomaly Brewing will open in roughly 8,000 square feet at 2012 Dallas St. in Ancorian's East Village development. The brewery will likely open in September or October, Michael Duckworth, one of the brewery's co-founders, told the Houston Business Journal. The brewery will focus on hoppy ales, Belgian-inspired ales and wild and sour ales, Duckworth said.

It'll also pull from the co-founders experiences at NASA. Even the name itself, True Anomaly, is a phrase used in celestial mechanics to refer to the position of a body moving in orbit. The brewery was originally founded as Apogee Brewing Co. – the word "apogee" refers to the highest position of orbit from Earth.

"We’re definitely going to pull on the space theme," Duckworth said. "We’d like to be a little more nuanced."

True Anomaly Brewing has been hunting for space inside the Loop for several months. The four founders have been home brewing for about the past decade, taking their beers to chili cook-offs and conferences in the Houston area. And in around four to five months, the brewery should be able to be sold in bars around Houston. The co-founders are still finalizing licensing, Duckworth said.

True Anomaly will open a block away from 8th Wonder Brewery and in the second phase of the East Village development.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2018/02/06/exclusive-brewery-founded-by-nasa-employees-to.html

Since the news of the highway reconstruction, I didn't think anyone would invest on the west side of St. Emanuel. Good for the area.  

On 2/6/2018 at 11:27 AM, Mr.Clean19 said:

At this point, developers are just placing their variance requests and plans for development to help bolster their payout. The real challenge will be to see how these companies survive with 10 years of construction out their front door.

I def have to agree with that. I'm really starting to second guess this whole freeway construction. I like the "idea" of a freeway cap park but not as much as seeing this whole are change on it's own. 

• Like 4

22 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I def have to agree with that. I'm really starting to second guess this whole freeway construction. I like the "idea" of a freeway cap park but not as much as seeing this whole are change on it's own. 

The freeway cap park is not even a sure thing, nor is it technically part of the freeway project. I believe it’s just an “idea” as you said, that TXDOT threw in the renderings to mainly mask just how awful the project really is. Long ago, I admit at first glance, I initially thought this was a smart project and really liked the idea of the freeway cap park. But after really thinking about how the widening will negatively affect EaDo’s progress/vibe, cutting off access to the East End and the likeliness that the cap will probably never be built, I’ve turned completely against it. 

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 1:24 PM, CrockpotandGravel said:

East Village in EaDo updates from Houston Business Journal:

But for now, it's about to deliver phase one of the project, which includes Method Architecture's new space, Seaside Poke, a vodka distillery and two bars – Rodeo Goat and Truck Yard – that hail from Dallas. The latter, which calls itself an "adult playground," will have the ferris wheel bar.

In the coming months, Ancorian Development will break ground on phases two and three of the project, both of which should deliver in summer 2018. A 32,000-square-foot industrial building at the intersection of Dallas Street and Saint Emmanual Street comprises phase two; Agricole Hospitality leased 14,000 square feet for a multirestaurant food hall concept. Three new concepts from Agricole – a 30-seat New York style pizza joint dubbed Vinny's A Slice Is Nice, an American-inspired breakfast concept called Indianola and Miss Carousel, a craft cocktail bar, will occupy the 14,000 square feet.

The high-end Sorek Barber Shop and Expo Eastside Gastropub will also open in the 32,000-square-foot industrial building. Expo Eastside Gastropub will offer Asian fusion tapas in a relaxed environment. The industrial building isn't fully leased, Sperandio said.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2017/11/27/take-a-look-inside-east-village-east-downtowns.html

Crews have been out in full force the last week working on Phase 2 of this project. Didn't get a chance to take a picture as I was driving by.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Eastdwntwn said:

Where are the food truck going to fit in? With the trees, containers, and ferris wheel, there doesn't seem to be much room for food trucks.

They're hoping they limited the available area enough so you have to wait in a line to get a true Austin experience.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

New five-story hotel coming to Eastside Village, rendering @ link

https://www.citylandsinvestments.com/investments/

was told about this 4 or 5 months ago, great to see it gain a little traction. south congress hotel was a partial inspiration. curious if the 59 construction could delay it, though.

houston needs more of these in EaDo, downtown, midtown, monstrose and museum district

• Like 4

Museum District might be tough with the ZaZa right there but something like that in Montrose near the Menil. You'd be surprised by how many people come to Houston just for the Menil. Not enough for a Sheraton but certainly enough for a 30-50 room boutique.

I'd also argue that something of this size in the Rice Village would mint money.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...