East Village: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 St. Emanuel St.

HNathoo

So does anyone know how parking for East Village works? The valet nazis are kind of frustrating and current construction limits street parking... I've been told that if you tell them you are going to one of the restaurants you can park for free... Pretty sure I did this once before? I recently visited on a non-event Sunday afternoon and they said parking was still $10?!

I don't remember seeing any posted prices and the signs at the driveways just say something like "Private Lot - Parking for East Village customers only". 

As I understand, this area is considered Central Business District so paying to park isn't a surprise. $10 on a Sunday afternoon is kind of steep, or am I just being cheap? 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Pickley Nickely said:

So does anyone know how parking for East Village works? The valet nazis are kind of frustrating and current construction limits street parking... I've been told that if you tell them you are going to one of the restaurants you can park for free... Pretty sure I did this once before? I recently visited on a non-event Sunday afternoon and they said parking was still $10?!

I don't remember seeing any posted prices and the signs at the driveways just say something like "Private Lot - Parking for East Village customers only". 

As I understand, this area is considered Central Business District so paying to park isn't a surprise. $10 on a Sunday afternoon is kind of steep, or am I just being cheap? 

You can always park at the city of Houston parking management lot for $5 at 2020 McKinney 

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

Just came across this article regarding Conservatory and Prohibition moving to the former Chapman and Kirby spot as part of the East Village development in EaDo, on St. Emanuel. More good news for EaDo!

https://m.chron.com/entertainment/restaurants-bars/article/Ambitious-new-food-hall-projects-slated-for-EaDo-14937598.php

• Like 2

I'm sure the new space will be great, but this is kind of disappointing for me... Conservatory is my favorite place in Houston and it's a great place to start a night downtown. EaDo is less convenient/exciting imo, though I guess there's a lot of cool stuff around there as well so maybe it's not the end of the world.

• Like 7

As you can probably gather from my name, I am pretty excited about this. Chapman just didn't seem like the right fit for the area.

This will be a great addition to the neighborhood. 

The downtown spaces will recover, but if Chapman had left without a replacement, it would have taken more time to find a suitable replacement.  

• Like 6

15 hours ago, kbates2 said:

Yeah this sucks. Conservatory is great as is in its current space.  Big loss for downtown.

Yeah but now downtown is saturated with food halls. Conservatory served it's purpose in opening the door to something new for Houston, and downtown in general. The good news is that it isn't closed for good. It's just moving to a neighborhood that is in need of a food hall concept. 

• Like 6

15 hours ago, Eastdwntwn said:

As you can probably gather from my name, I am pretty excited about this. Chapman just didn't seem like the right fit for the area.

This will be a great addition to the neighborhood. 

The downtown spaces will recover, but if Chapman had left without a replacement, it would have taken more time to find a suitable replacement.  

I agree. Chapman and Kirby didn't have the right vibe for the area (Miss Carousel does it much, much better), and I'm very excited to have Conservatory taking over the space.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Yeah but now downtown is saturated with food halls. Conservatory served it's purpose in opening the door to something new for Houston, and downtown in general. The good news is that it isn't closed for good. It's just moving to a neighborhood that is in need of a food hall concept. 

Agreed with this 100%. With the opening of the foodhalls, I was wondering about conservatory's viability, and talking to the pho guys they said it had slowed a little bit. This gives them a chance to breathe and serve a community in need of late night eats.

But I do hope the space is being preserved for other cool stuff.

Edited by X.R.
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, rechlin said:

The building with Conservatory and Prohibition is now on the market.  Wonder if the owner is wanting to get out now that it lost two of its biggest tenants?

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/1004-Prairie-St-Houston-TX/13441245/

What would a buyer do with this building? Trying to phrase this right..... if sold, the chances of it being torn down are really slim correct?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Texasota said:

I can't tell if this is serious or just trolling...

totally serious, have you been to Conservatory at night? Every square foot of sidewalk on that block has a bum laying on it. It's so bad you can't get to Conservatory without stepping over people, and forget it if you're female.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Texasota said:

I have only been to Conservatory at night, and generally with at least one woman. Conservatory is a go-to for taking guests from out of town. 

Are there homeless downtown? Sure, but the idea that downtown is "bum-infested" is hyperbole to say the least. 

I don't think anyone would deny that DT has a large problem with homeless people or panhandlers. Especially on that corner on the left side from the conservatory. 

If you come from the train or the west side of mainstreet, it is a nice walk with active pedestrian life an night

If you come from anywhere east of Conservatory, it is more like @Tumbleweed_Tx said - the only people on the sidewalk are the ones who will be there in the morning.  Doesn't help that right now, there's nothing in the building on the NE corner of Fannin & Prairie, and that big surface lot seems like a black hole of darkness at night 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cspwal said:

If you come from the train or the west side of mainstreet, it is a nice walk with active pedestrian life an night

If you come from anywhere east of Conservatory, it is more like @Tumbleweed_Tx said - the only people on the sidewalk are the ones who will be there in the morning.  Doesn't help that right now, there's nothing in the building on the NE corner of Fannin & Prairie, and that big surface lot seems like a black hole of darkness at night 

This I largely agree with - anywhere you start to have a lot of vacancy (either lots/surface parking or empty buildings) starts to feel a lot less comfortable. I still don't think the problem is a particularly large homeless population - the problem is that the homeless are the only people consistently in those areas and there's just not enough other people and activities.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
9 hours ago, HoustonMidtown said:

The deal to relocate Prohibition to EaDo has fallen apart. Instead, the building at 2118 Lamar St. will resume operations as Chapman & Kirby this Thursday, May 14.

Damn so does that mean the end of Conservatory? 😥 Hopefully the other location in the Galleria area opens soon and is comparable to what they had before.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to East Village Mixed-Use Development At 1201 St. Emanuel
  • 6 months later...

A new bar is in the works for East Village. The name is Nights & Weekends or Nights and Weekends. It will be situated either next to Chapman & Kirby or part of Chapman & Kirby at 2118 Lamar St, Suite 100-B.

The East Village development is also home to Koffeteria, EightyTwo, Seaside Poke, Miss Carousel, Vinny's, Indianola, and the Secret Group.

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 3

• The title was changed to East Village Mixed-Use Development At 1201 St. Emanuel St.
  • 4 months later...

A new Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation filing shows Austin-based bar Lustre Pearl is coming to EaDo's East Village development at 1291 St. Emanuel St.

The estimated date of completion is late fall 2022. So, it could open by the end of the year or early 2023 if there aren't any major delays, I'm assuming.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

A new Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation filing shows Austin-based bar Lustre Pearl is coming to EaDo's East Village development at 1291 St. Emanuel St.

The estimated date of completion is late fall 2022. So, it could open by the end of the year or early 2023 if there aren't any major delays, I'm assuming.

I wonder if it’s the vacant Eightytwo spot?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

https://www.houstoncitybook.com/lustre-pearl/particle-1

After opening a highly successful string of bars called Lustre Pearl in ATX — the first of which did for Austin’s Rainey Street district what Pearl Bar did for Wash Ave — Dunlap is rumored to be returning to Houston to open a Lustre Pearl outpost in EaDo. According to a filing with the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation, Lustre Pearl will open at 2016 Dallas St., across from Indianola/Miss Carousel and Truck Yard.

21 hours ago, Eastdwntwn said:

https://www.houstoncitybook.com/lustre-pearl/particle-1

After opening a highly successful string of bars called Lustre Pearl in ATX — the first of which did for Austin’s Rainey Street district what Pearl Bar did for Wash Ave — Dunlap is rumored to be returning to Houston to open a Lustre Pearl outpost in EaDo. According to a filing with the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation, Lustre Pearl will open at 2016 Dallas St., across from Indianola/Miss Carousel and Truck Yard.

Wouldn't that address be where True Anomaly Brewing Company is located?

Edited by Houston19514

13 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

Wouldn't that address be where True Anomaly Brewing Company is located?

True Anomaly is located at 2012 Dallas St. but appears to be the same address as 2016 Dallas. I wonder if they are moving out because of the realignment?

kI2rLWP.png

Edited by hindesky

46 minutes ago, hindesky said:

True Anomaly is located at 2012 Dallas St.

kI2rLWP.png

I know, but the only remaining space to the east in the 2000 block is the parking lot. New construction?  Unlikely, it seems. And FWIW, according to HCAD, the parking lot has the address of 2014 Dallas.  No 2016 Dallas seems to exist.

Also to consider, the latest projection I've seen has construction not starting on this segment of the NHHIP until 2027! Maybe they can build a "temporary" building and make enough money in 5'ish years...?

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

Citybook Houston reports on Lustre Pearl's expansion to Houston. There isn't an official confirmation from Dunlap ATX, the hospitality group behind the bar, but Dunlap sort of confirms it in a comment underneath Citybook Houston's Instagram post.

Lustre Pearl will be located at 2106 Dallas St, Ste 100, which is possibly part of the East Village development.

After opening a highly successful string of bars called Lustre Pearl in ATX — the first of which did for Austin’s Rainey Street district what Pearl Bar did for Wash Ave — Dunlap is rumored to be returning to Houston to open a Lustre Pearl outpost in EaDo.

More at the link below:

https://www.houstoncitybook.com/lustre-pearl/

On 3/17/2022 at 2:18 PM, phillip_white said:

Silly reporters. Their TDLR filing states "2106 Dallas St Ste. 100," which is next door to Indianola/Miss Carousel instead of across from.

https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/TABS/Search/Project/TABS2022010773

Yes, I'm aware of the address listed on the TDLR filing for Lustre Pearl. However, 1201 St Emanuel is the address provided on construction documents uploaded in early February and was also confirmed by Lustre Pearl's representative via social media when I inquired about their forthcoming Houston location. 

It does seem odd there are two different addresses listed. I probably should have noted the address listed on the TDLR site in addition to their construction documents the first time around. Hopefully, Dunlap ATX will provide more details whenever the group decides to send press releases about their Houston expansion.

My apologies for the confusion. 

Here is the most recent site plan for the East Village mixed-use development. The site plan was found in marketing materials for an office space last occupied by Method Architecture.

spacer.png

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/2118-Lamar-St-Houston-TX/23976797/

https://images1.loopnet.com/d2/l1K7Yby6naLBHzeGBz1PdE1pVOJwzrtit3aQ7hja1fo/East%20Village%20Marketing%20Flyer82521.pdf

Added site plan
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2022 at 12:28 AM, nate4l1f3 said:

I wonder if it’s the vacant Eightytwo spot?

On 2/4/2022 at 7:16 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

That's a good guess. You're probably right.

I don't know what's taking over the unit where video arcade and bar EightyTwo was located (1201 St Emanuel St, Ste 110). However I think it could be a bar, a club, or maybe both.

The group behind Coconut Club in Austin is possibly opening a bar or club concept at East Village.

I haven't come across any permits or leasing brochures confirming this. Perhaps more details will be released in the coming months.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

I don't know what's taking over the unit where video arcade and bar EightyTwo was located (1201 St Emanuel St, Ste 110). However I think it could be a bar, a club, or maybe both.

The group behind Coconut Club in Austin is possibly opening a bar or club concept at East Village.

I haven't come across any permits or leasing brochures confirming this. Perhaps more details will be released in the coming months.

Well the exterior of 82 (which was previously all black) has been painted a bright pink color. So some work is being done at that location. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

12 hours ago, Eastdwntwn said:

Well the exterior of 82 (which was previously all black) has been painted a bright pink color. So some work is being done at that location. 

The club/bar taking over the former EightyTwo unit at 1201 St Emanuel St, Ste 110 is Paradise Palace. It's a nightlife concept from the group behind Austin's Coconut Club, Neon Grotto, and Cuatro Gato.

Paradise Palace was announced on the club's  Instagram in February. Neither the address and area of town were provided.

Coconut Club's design is fun and festive, at least what's shown in photos. It kind of reminds me of a mix of Present Company, Electric Feel Good, and the shuttered Montrose lounge Her. It's probable Paradise Palace will have similar aesthetics.

https://instagram.com/paradisepalace.houston

• 4 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to East Village: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 St. Emanuel St.