Will be a great addition for the neighborhood especially the medical center and UH!!!

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be nice if this was an HEB like West University and Montrose, but I'm not sure the surrounding demographics would support such a store.  Perhaps if they think they will get a lot of doctors on their way home to Pearland they will build such a store.  Fingers crossed it is a nice one.    

It would be nice if this was an HEB like West University and Montrose, but I'm not sure the surrounding demographics would support such a store.  Perhaps if they think they will get a lot of doctors on their way home to Pearland they will build such a store.  Fingers crossed it is a nice one.    

The fact that HEB feels the land acquisition costs would be too high without city support suggests they may not, and probably do not, have a premium concept in mind.  However, the Museum District across the freeway to the north is rapidly redeveloping and a number of higher end apartments serving the TMC have been or are in the process of being constructed nearby (e.g. One Hermann Place).  The Mosaic is right across the freeway.  This parcel is large enough to support something grander than the old pantry foods concepts HEB started up in Houston back in the 90's.  HEB could put out a nice product without having something as costly as the Montrose or Buffalo Markets.  I figure a few flourishes from the Tanglewood Market, such as ample natural light and high ceilings, without all of the bells and whistles would make for a quite a nice store. 

• 5 months later...

Missed this article the other day.  http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Houston-Community-College-moves-to-sell-land-7462165.php

No new though, really:

Another property the study recommends selling: a nine-acre plot at Texas 288 and MacGregor Way; the college is already working to sell it to the city. HCC has owned the MacGregor property twice and is now selling it for a second time. In the fifteen years since HCC first sold the property, the tract has bounced between multiple owners, and its price tag ballooned by 600 percent. City officials have said they want to lure an H-E-B store to the site using incentive funds intended to make fresh food available in neighborhoods where it is scarce.

• 2 months later...

http://www.museumparkna.org/resources/Documents/July%206,%202016%20MPNA%20General%20Meeting%20Minutes%201.pdf

Is the proposed HEB supermarket was still in the works and where would it be located?

Greg Quintero responded that as far as he knew an HEB was still planned just east of Hwy 288 on MacGregor. Council Member Dwight Boykins would probably have more information.[//quote]

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.houstontx.gov/housing/publiclegal/288macgregor.pdf

Please join the City of Houston’s Housing and Community Development Department (HCDD) for a public meeting to discuss the proposed use of $11 million in Economic Development Initiative (EDI) funding and $2.8 million in Section 108 funding to finance the acquisition of land located at the corner of Highway 288 and MacGregor in City Council District D for the development of an HEB grocery store. To comply with environmental regulations about the Eight-Step process for potential development in a flood plain, a public hearing needs to be held. This Public Hearing will be held Wednesday, September 7, 2016 at 6:00 p.m. at the Judson Robinson Community Center located at 2020 Hermann Dr., Houston, TX 77004.

To assist in the development of the HEB project, HCDD proposes to purchase the land for $13.8 million from Houston Community College, combine it with two smaller parcels from the City of Houston’s Public Works and Engineering (PWE) Department and sell the tract to the Houston Housing Finance Corporation (HHFC). The land would then be leased to HEB for the development of a 72,000 square foot grocery store. The construction costs of $20 million will be funded by HEB and its investors. HEB could purchase the property from HHFC after obtaining the certificate of occupancy.

2 hours ago, htownproud said:

It would be great if it was like the Montrose location, but this is on the east side of 288, so my hunch is that this will be a HEB Pantry.  Hopefully I'm surprised.  

I don't think they do Pantry stores any more.  And they've never done 72,000 square-foot Pantry stores.

logo.png

^^^ at 72,000 sqft, this shall be a pretty large and state of the art store for the macgregor area.

houston needs to make this happen.  this prospective development shall totally revitalize this burgeoning district.

wow!  can't wait....

58 minutes ago, houstontexasjack said:

Site plan calls for greenery between the storefront and MacGregor. The photo I snapped at the meeting last night isn't very good. I'll try to get a slide from Councilman Boykins' office.

Will the store front be on N. MacGregor or will it be on 288?

This is in my neighborhood as well.  Community members, both long-time 3rd Ward residents like my family, as well as those moving in are excited about this project. I'm pleased with my council member's leadership on this issue, and look forward to the community growing in a way that reflects the needs of all residents--a new HEB is a step in the right direction.

Archived