I sent an email to Roula & Ryan this afternoon. I figure since they just got back on air this week that hopefully their old audience is listening in as well as the KRBE audience. Anyway, hopefully they will mention it to make more people aware. I sent them the link to our post and the petition. I figured it was worth the try.

Momentum must definitely be building for a unprecented scale on the Save the River Oaks Theater initiative...I just got a mass email from a longtime friend in LONDON (who hasn't lived in Houston in years) about signing the online petition....

Objective idealogues like myself that aren't strapped in to an emotional position and instead take a viewpoint from 10,000 feet up are far and few in between. We're also not popular.

Umm....what's an idealogue?

....a little advice. If you are going to spout off like some uber-intelligent investor, use real words. That way, the ignorant don't laugh at you. ;)

Good grief, you really should read someone's full post before you post. Note the disclaimer I had towards the end of my post, which stated "for the purpose of simplicity, I am not discussing the role that government or prior land-use restrictions play in the development of property. So if you wish to argue my point, please don't bring up the role of goverment, restrictive covenants, equitable servitudes, or deed restrictions."

What do you mean by the "role of government"? Isn't your whole argument that the government can't tell a person what they can and can't do with their property - and any limitation of property rights in any form is a step down the slippery slope of collectivism?

Deed restrictions aren't at issue here---and, furthermore, if your property is burdened by deed restrictions, then you took your property with notice of such restrictions and have no right to complain of their effect.
And if you own property inside city limits, then you took your property with notice of the fact that what you can do with it is subject to the decisions of a democratic government. If the city decides to make fire codes, you have to obey them. If it decides to make preservation laws, you have to obey those as well.
So either argue my point on its merits or shut-up.

These preservation issues really get you worked up, don't they?

I was very reluctant to move away from The Heights since I was born there and lived there for all but 4 of my (then) 56 years. I was raised on 14th near Beall, and lived in Timbergrove for the last 20 years in Houston.

There was no direction I could go from my house that there wasn

So were the residents of San Antonio "selfish" for making laws that would protect the Alamo from demolition? Couldn't they have just enjoyed the memories without the physical reminder?
I have heard some stupid comments on here, but that one really takes the cake.

I have heard some stupid comments on here, but that one really takes the cake.

I'm just taking the logical next step from what you said, H2B. You ruled out historic preservation on the account of it being selfish, and memories not requiring physical buildings. How is the situation with the Alamo any different? Or is there only one building in all of Texas worthy of being preserved?

I'm just taking the logical next step from what you said, H2B. You ruled out historic preservation on the account of it being selfish, and memories not requiring physical buildings. How is the situation with the Alamo any different? Or is there only one building in all of Texas worthy of being preserved?
Excuse me? Ruling out

Yes, Channel 2 did a short piece last night. Nothing that hasn't been discussed in this thread. They mentioned petitions being available. I'll sign them.

Where are the petitions?

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/riveroaks/

And what does the River Oaks Theater have to do with historic preservation? As far as I know, it has not been declared a historical landmark.

just because something isn't declared a landmark doesn't mean it doesn't qualify to be one (it does qualify to be on the national register of historic places), or people don't want it to be preserved.

weingarten would have to fill out the application, though

just because something isn't declared a landmark doesn't mean it doesn't qualify to be one (it does qualify to be on the national register of historic places), or people don't want it to be preserved.

And if it was a historical landmark that doesn't mean squat in Houston anyway. The Ashland Tea House is a perfect example of that.

"Theoretically, City Council could designate the River Oaks Theater and Shopping Center without owner approval, but that would require that they go against the wishes of a major real estate developer. That is extremely unlikely to happen."

That was from GHPA in reply to my email. It's great to have a petition but it is equally to apply pressure on city council and the mayor.

signed the petition.

here's some houston lore:

a friend wrote to me that used to work there and mentioned

that at one time there was a plaque (that had been since been

removed) which said something theatrical like...

"a curse shall fall on your heads if these so fine bricks and mortar

be removed from this so sanctified area" ... something like that.

anyone know about that? or whether it was put in during

construction or added later by theatre staff?

What do you think would be the top 10 biggest preservation catastrophes in Houston history?

Here's my stab, though I'm sure there are many I don't know about. I used single-building demolitions only and gave greater weight to more recent demolitions.

1. The Shamrock Hotel, 1987

2. The (second) Jefferson Davis Hospital, 1999

3. The Lamar Hotel block (including two movie palaces), 1986

4. The Binz building, 1950's

5. The Foley Bros. Dry Goods building, 1990 (?)

6. The Medical Arts tower, ca. 1980

7. The Bellaire Theater, (?)

8. Houston Chronicle building renovations (one movie palace), 1970's (?)

9. First City banking hall, 1998

10. Second National Bank (Carter's Folly) renovations, 1960's (?)

What am I forgetting?

What do you think would be the top 10 biggest preservation catastrophes in Houston history?

1. The Shamrock Hotel, 1987

THE WORST. It doesn't get any worse than that.

2. The (second) Jefferson Davis Hospital, 1999
Eh, I understand its value, but I'm not sure what use it would have served aside from being a hospital. What were the plans for it prior to demolition?
3. The Lamar Hotel block (including two movie palaces), 1986

I'd put this behind #1.

8. Houston Chronicle building renovations (one movie palace), 1970's (?)
Well, the Chronicle building actually engulfed this building. If you ever go inside, you'll see exactly where one building ends and the other begins. About 10 years ago, renovation work revealed some of the interior moldings of the older building.
What am I forgetting?

The Old City Auditorium (where Jones Hall is now)

Southern Pacific Depot

The Bowen Bus station (old City Hall)

Edited by gonzo1976