It seems the Weingarten family has found a stinging way to retaliate for the offensive treatment they long received from the River Oaks community.

Yeah, even if she went to prison and her husband screwed thousands of dumb but innocent Houstonians, you just don't not invite Lea (Weingarten) Fastow to your summer lawn party.

We were just on the news about this topic. After watching the Channel 11 take on this, I don't think we should tear it down. One smart guy said "This is just typical Houston. Anything over twenty yerars old is replaced with something new." Very true.

Edited by Trae

Don't think this has been shared yet, but here's Weingarten's official statement about the centers as reported by KHOU:

http://www.khou.com/topstories/stories/kho...ly.746649f.html

Weingarten Realty responds to River Oaks Shopping Center stories

10:11 PM CDT on Wednesday, July 26, 2006

From 11 News Staff Reports

Thank you for your interest in River Oaks Shopping Center. Below is Weingarten Realty Investor

We were just on the news about this topic. After watching the Channel 11 take on this, I don't think we should tear it down. One smart guy said "This is just typical Houston. Anything over twenty yerars old is replaced with something new." Very true.

I saw this on the news tonight as well. It's cool to get some 'press coverage'. KHOU had a couple stories on tonight about redevelopment (the toll it takes) in Houston. The story on River Oaks Theater, and one about booming construction in Rice Village that is surrounding an old fashion county store.

What am I forgetting?

william penn hotel

didn't they initially turn The Bellaire Theater into a (now defunct) Discovery Zone?

yep - now i think it is part of the whole foods

Keep the pressure up. I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them.

i share those sentiments...

i talked with some of the news crew tonight at the theater, and they seemed to feel the same

Give it up, dude. Your BS fails again.

Fine, so you've got two definitions to my one. You and Torchlight have helped me prove to Red that the word exists. I thank each of you for assisting me in the education of a fellow HAIFer. Of course, by your measures, I've just propogated BS. That makes you an accomplice in the act.

With respect to my semantic interpretation, I still consider my hypothesis to be valid. However, perhaps it was, as Torchlight suggested, a poor choice of words, if only because it did not effectively communicate my message to the target audience. I know that revisions are necessary when more people than just yourself are complaining about the verbose nature of my commentery. I'm glad to see that you are taking an interest in the dictionary, however. Keep it up.

Fine, so you've got two definitions to my one.

I've got the only definitions that count unless you've published your own dictionary. You used a word. You were called on the definition by two world renowned sources and you tell us "it has a much more benign definition that can be changed within the context of its use."

Your smarmy cracks about dictionary use, me helping you educate a fellow HAIFer...it's just more BS dude.

BTW, Red was just pointing out that "idealogue" isn't a word.

Edited by nmainguy

Hmmmm....

Weingarten just released their quarterly earnings. $90.3 MILLION. A nearly $20 million increase year over year.

Seems like their properties are doing quite well as is...

yes indeed - on the page i have made, i have linked company profiles...they sure aren't hurtin' <_<

Edited by sevfiv

Very good - *this* is what I've been waiting to see: the high property tax paying neighbors weighing in about the privacy & traffic congestion issues. >:)

12550 Jeremy Finkelstein I also strongly oppose the addition of a major highrise essentially towering over our home, plus the added traffic burden to the already congested West Gray corridor.

Keep the pressure up. I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them.

Yeah...when exactly is Weingarten going to anouce any changes?...... after it's done?

I agree that the pressure needs to stay on..... Keep this thread in the forefront so it does not drop from our minds. Keep sending the emails and letters...and making the phone calls.

From KHOU.com:

Like many other businesses here, it is on a month-to-month lease.

Why is that?

On a side note, does it seem like attention is shifting from the Alabama Bookstop? It seems like that site has take a back seat to the River Oaks Shopping Center.

From KHOU.com:

Why is that?

On a side note, does it seem like attention is shifting from the Alabama Bookstop? It seems like that site has take a back seat to the River Oaks Shopping Center.

Is there a condo proposed for the Alabama site ?

Edited by Highway6

So how come no one's pressuring Barnes & Noble to reconsider whatever deal(s) they have cooking with Weingartens?

Seems like they might not want their name associated with the destruction of architecturally significant buildings. If this was taken nationally perhaps it would grab their attention.

I really don't want to make this an ongoing debate, either, but I would suggest that that definition--"One given to fanciful ideas or theories..."--has at least a slightly negative connotation, considering that same website's definitions of fanciful.

You're right that it seems to be getting more use as a pejorative...but I'll actually accept "fanciful" as an accurate descriptor. Very little of which I go on about in this forum could ever realistically be implemented in a complete and systematic way under a democratic system. I have absolutely no expectations that I'll ever be satisfied with the state of affairs...and nor would I want to be satisfied at any point if it were to require the dismantling of American democracy. But it doesn't stop me from conjuring up and espousing my own strain of political and economic thought. In that sense, I would still consider myself an idealogue (ideologue) of sorts.

In any case, I think that this has been done to death.

Back to the RO Theater:

Does anybody have any photos of the Paris Theater on OST in its heyday? Seems like its even larger than RO. If anybody were interested in preservation or restoration, it seems like that would be the place to do it. Its certainly not going to be torn down to make way for a highrise any time soon.

wow!

Excellent picture.

Pity there aren't more photos. I can distinctly see only one home that's about 40 yards away or so. I seriously doubt that home is still there, though.

thanks for the photo!

It's still there, and the owner is a friend of mine! She'll enjoy seeing this picture.

No. The idea is that if a B&N went up at the River Oaks site, the company wouldn't have a need for a B&N-owned bookstore at the Alabama.

A B&N is going up.

They might close up shop on Alabama, or leave both open.. who knows.

Why does this matter... So they get another tenant to occupy the theatre, okay. The Alabama isnt in danger of being paved over.

I rec'd an email from GHPA today which includes address for B&N:

Thank you for your outstanding support of GHPA's efforts to preserve the River Oak Shopping Center and Theater, and Alabama Theater/Bookstop. The response from our members and the general public has been overwhelming.

As we continue to plan our strategy, here are some additional steps you can take to help in this campaign:

Write Barnes & Noble and ask the company to reconsider its plans for the River Oaks Shopping Center and reaffirm its commitment to the Alabama Theater/Bookstop. Please address you letter to:

Mr. Stephen Riggio

Chief Executive Officer

Barnes & Noble, Inc.

122 Fifth Avenue

New York, New York 10011

Join more than 12,000 other Houstonians in signing the online petition. GHPA has provided the Mayor's Office with a link to the petition site so that City staff can track its progress. Thanks to GHPA volunteer Jim Parsons who started the petition drive and whose invaluable support has allowed us to put this information on our Web site in a timely manner.

Print copies of the

Does anybody have any photos of the Paris Theater on OST in its heyday? Seems like its even larger than RO. If anybody were interested in preservation or restoration, it seems like that would be the place to do it. Its certainly not going to be torn down to make way for a highrise any time soon.

the ost theater? i haven't seen anything but current pictures - i am sure there's one around here somewhere...i'll keep snooping around :D

http://houston.arch-ive.org/osttheater.jpg

http://houston.arch-ive.org/osttheater1.jpg

Edited by sevfiv

A B&N is going up.

They might close up shop on Alabama, or leave both open.. who knows.

Why does this matter... So they get another tenant to occupy the theatre, okay. The Alabama isnt in danger of being paved over.

Nevertheless, the GHPA put the Alabama Shepherd Shopping Center on its endangered list with the River Oaks.

the ost theater? i haven't seen anything but current pictures - i am sure there's one around here somewhere...i'll keep snooping around :D

http://houston.arch-ive.org/osttheater.jpg

http://houston.arch-ive.org/osttheater1.jpg

Considering how much non-profits seem to really cherish the 3rd Ward area, I'm amazed that none of them have swooped in and turned this into something. Looks like its bigger than RO, too. I wonder what its like from the interior. Anybody know the owner? Would make an excellent HAIF field trip.

EDIT: I'm going to start a new thread on this topic.

Edited by TheNiche