I doubt that they would demolish them out of spite...they're just a faceless emotionless corporation with a single motive...but it would not be inconceivable that they'd pull the permits earlier than necessary in order to head off the prospect of any preservation laws with teeth that might come down the pike.

And this is true; it indicates that they are not deaf and that they will at least work to try and minimize the PR damage, but they're most certainly still going with a plan that is financially lucrative.

Weingarten isn't hurting for profits. In fact, they are pretty damn successful.

Greed at its worst.

I doubt that they would demolish them out of spite...they're just a faceless emotionless corporation with a single motive...but it would not be inconceivable that they'd pull the permits earlier than necessary in order to head off the prospect of any preservation laws with teeth that might come down the pike.

And this is true; it indicates that they are not deaf and that they will at least work to try and minimize the PR damage, but they're most certainly still going with a plan that is financially lucrative.

Fear of PR damage seems to be the only thing protecting the buildings now, and I'm afraid most people think they've already been saved.

Weingarten won't have any trouble getting a permit to demolish the shopping center building. The recommendation to designate the three buildings as landmarks will take months before it appears before city council. Even if it's approved, the toughest thing the city can do is delay demo by 90 days.

But what about the theater? How long does a demolition permit last? Could you apply now for one to be used in 2008? or 2010?Think Weingarten's fear of potentially tougher preservation laws offset the bad P.R. that's bound to result from the demolition permits?

they've already announced the portion where the black eyed pea is will be demolished and replaced with something similar style including a parking garage.

I've said it before - building in a "similar style" isn't preservation. It's just decoration. They're basically hoping that people will confuse the two. It is as meaningless a stylistic gesture as was the fake movie marquee where the Village Theater used to be.

I've said it before - building in a "similar style" isn't preservation. It's just decoration. They're basically hoping that people will confuse the two. It is as meaningless a stylistic gesture as was the fake movie marquee where the Village Theater used to be.

dont know if you've said it before but i do agree.

A high-rise where Bookstop is? I can't even imagine something on that large of a scale given the congestion already in the area... Someone else mentioned this before, but I really love the idea of the Alamo Draft House coming in. It would save the theatre, put films back on the screen, and the dark lighting would dampen some of painful colors in there :)

That's what Alamo is doing here in Austin. They're converting the Ritz on 6th street back into a theater. It's been a combination pool hall/pizza place for awhile, and other things in the last few decades I believe. It's only going to have two screens. I believe the Ritz orginally only had one screen.

Edited by kingkirbythegreatoftexas

The objective isn't to make enough profits. It is to maximize profits.

EDIT: You work for a government entity, don't you?

Nope, I co-own a furniture design company where we make and design our own line of minimalist contemporary furniture. Sales are solid and we are quite happy. We realize that there are quite a few different ways to be happy and they don't all include maximizing profits. We set our own schedules. We can easily accomodate custom orders. We use only local labor and materials and are proud of that fact. We can make pieces for charity (we just donated custom furniture for a transitional living space where all of the rooms were designed by local interior designers). We also do our own deliveries and still weld some pieces ourselves.

Of course, we could be screwing the neighborhood with higher prices, cheaper materials, and labor in China, but that is what separates someone like me from someone like you. I still have integrity and I still value things like neighborhood, community, and a belief in a greater common good. :)

• 2 weeks later...

The city of Houston also released a letter saying Weingarten has not sought any requests to build the parking garage that will span from McDuffie St. to Shepherd. Also, B&N has not made any formal decision to lease at River Oaks, either.

Problem is, Weingarten is plowing full-steam ahead on these plans, not minding anything else. The turn out at Three Brothers Bakery (who has been given the boot by Weingarten) was good, and helped to spread the word a little bit, but Weingarten has the $ >:) $, and that's all that's going to matter, it seems

Edited by sevfiv

Nope, I co-own a furniture design company where we make and design our own line of minimalist contemporary furniture. Sales are solid and we are quite happy. We realize that there are quite a few different ways to be happy and they don't all include maximizing profits. We set our own schedules. We can easily accomodate custom orders. We use only local labor and materials and are proud of that fact. We can make pieces for charity (we just donated custom furniture for a transitional living space where all of the rooms were designed by local interior designers). We also do our own deliveries and still weld some pieces ourselves.

Of course, we could be screwing the neighborhood with higher prices, cheaper materials, and labor in China, but that is what separates someone like me from someone like you. I still have integrity and I still value things like neighborhood, community, and a belief in a greater common good. :)

Huh, for some reason I thought you were a social worker. Wonder how that got into my head...oh, well.

But as an aside, YOU DONATED CUSTOM FURNITURE FOR TRANSITIONAL HOUSING??? Wtf? Why not just sell it, get some money, donate that, and build more transitional housing? It isn't as though there isn't a deep enough market for it, and it seems like it'd do more poor people more good than to give them custom furniture. And I fail to see how you'd be screwing the neighborhood by using labor in China (or elsewhere). You'd be able to produce at lower cost, undercut your competitors, and donate the additional profits to the neighborhood cause of your choice...perhaps transitional education for laid-off blue collar workers. Alternately, you could just drop your prices and do your customers that good.

I deeply respect that you not only have the balls and wherewithall to build a successful business but are so charitible, but please for the sake of those that you're trying to help do it right!

• 2 weeks later...

info i was given is that the project is on hold for design purposes. the peeps didn't like the design of the propsed tenants that will be there. not sure if it's been stated who the tenants are on here, and i dont feel like reading through 8 pages so i'll just keep it private for now as this is a controversial project.

info i was given is that the project is on hold for design purposes. the peeps didn't like the design of the propsed tenants that will be there. not sure if it's been stated who the tenants are on here, and i dont feel like reading through 8 pages so i'll just keep it private for now as this is a controversial project.

attempting to get a demolishion permit sounds like they want to move forward.

I say we make a human Haif chain around the place. That should work!

:lol: only if i get my 5 sec. worth of fame, lol

attempting to get a demolishion permit sounds like they want to move forward.

oh no, they are going to move forward, i just meant the design itself was on hold cuz the design itself of the tenant's space didn't pass, which is a good thing cuz it was pretty ugly...

Why can't Weingarten simply build a new B&N in the East End?

I bet there are parcels of land with non-significant and unused old factories. Since East End is becoming yuppieland, why not have a new B&N with the same design as what Weingarten wants to put in River Oaks?

I bet there are parcels of land with non-significant and unused old factories. Since East End is becoming yuppieland, why not have a new B&N with the same design as what Weingarten wants to put in River Oaks?

at this point a B&N wouldn't make money

Because the East End doesn't have the kind of demographics that B&N wants. They are probably drooling at the chance for this location adjacent to River Oaks. I assume their main target is the Borders on Alabama at Kirby which currently almost owns the River Oaks/Upper Kirby book market.

Time for desperate measures! :angry2:

I say we make a human Haif chain around the place. That should work!

Actually, although this may sound like a silly comment (above) . I think it would work, at least to draw attention the painstaking efforts Houstonians have to go through to preserve history. I for one would love to create all of the signs and posters needed to hand out to others willing to join in. Serious!

Even if for just a few minutes local media would at least ask some protestors why we would be up in arms.

Who else has experience in fighting for a cause?!

I'm ready ! >:)

What kind of oppostion would we encounter???? Tips?

We drove by the RO Shopping Center yesterday - along the wing where the Black-Eyed Pea is located, every business has already moved out except for the Pea and Jamba Juice. The Black-Eyed Pea has a letter posted next to their front door thanking customers for the past 30 years and listing the date for their imminent closure (can't remember the date, but it's very soon). Wonder if Weingarten's going to roll the bulldozers in the middle of the night as soon as they pull a demo permit?

We drove by the RO Shopping Center yesterday - along the wing where the Black-Eyed Pea is located, every business has already moved out except for the Pea and Jamba Juice. The Black-Eyed Pea has a letter posted next to their front door thanking customers for the past 30 years and listing the date for their imminent closure (can't remember the date, but it's very soon). Wonder if Weingarten's going to roll the bulldozers in the middle of the night as soon as they pull a demo permit?

lol, probably. but the good news for u jamba juice fans is that jamba juice will be coming back to that location in the new building.

regarding river oaks theatre, granted that was in Weingarten's plan to demo, but i HIGLY doubt that's going to happen. especially now. if i'm not mistaken i think a bill was passed that before demoing historiic buildings proposals will have to go b4 a committe and well we all know a committee will not approve such a thing. this is y the project is no longer called phase 1, phase 2.

lol, probably. but the good news for u jamba juice fans is that jamba juice will be coming back to that location in the new building.

regarding river oaks theatre, granted that was in Weingarten's plan to demo, but i HIGLY doubt that's going to happen. especially now. if i'm not mistaken i think a bill was passed that before demoing historiic buildings proposals will have to go b4 a committe and well we all know a committee will not approve such a thing. this is y the project is no longer called phase 1, phase 2.

All that can be done is delay demolition by 90 days. That's it. If they can get away with Phase 1 then there's nothing to stop Phase 2.