this is why houston sucks. no value on anything of historical or cultural significance. this is why this one of the most generic and nondescript cities in the country.

houston is an example where money dictates the urban fabric.

Also.. several months back, around post #388, it was discussed that Nmainguy had seen earlier plans by Hermes and that the curved building was gone and the symmetry blown out of the water.

This is obviously not the same plan that he mentioned

nmainguy, the authoritative source ;) Edited by musicman

this is why houston sucks. no value on anything of historical or cultural significance. this is why this one of the most generic and nondescript cities in the country.

houston is an example where money dictates the urban fabric.

Correct you are,

There are so many additions to the original topic I am a bit confused, but I would like to say if the theater is going away, I (& my family) are glad we had the chance to enjoy this venue while it lasted.

Several years ago River Oaks Theater celebrated the 50 yr anniversary. They played 3 of the films they played in 1939 in this order. The Wizard of Oz, Wuthering Heights and finally Gone With The Wind.

The crowd was massive I recall it went around the block. Popcorn was like 5 cents drinks 10 cents like in 1939 or close to. It was neat becasue there was an intermission (like in the old days). Everyone stood and clapped at the end of each film. (tears/choked up)

Little did we know that here (today) are now discussing closure and demolition. Another slap in the face for Houston as far as historic preservation is concerned. Rats! :angry2:

Correct you are,

There are so many additions to the original topic I am a bit confused, but I would like to say if the theater is going away, I (& my family) are glad we had the chance to enjoy this venue while it lasted.

Several years ago River Oaks Theater celebrated the 50 yr anniversary. They played 3 of the films they played in 1939 in this order. The Wizard of Oz, Wuthering Heights and finally Gone With The Wind.

The crowd was massive I recall it went around the block. Popcorn was like 5 cents drinks 10 cents like in 1939 or close to. It was neat becasue there was an intermission (like in the old days). Everyone stood and clapped at the end of each film. (tears/choked up)

Little did we know that here (today) are now discussing closure and demolition. Another slap in the face for Houston as far as historic preservation is concerned. Rats! :angry2:

Yep. My wife and I were there for Wizard of Oz. Movie, drinks, and popcorn for less than a buck. One of my best Houston memories.

marmer

the thing is, it *seems* that alot of folks (just from personal observations) would rather have the theaters stay (alabama included, and the rest of the RO complex, for that matter). whatever market research weingarten is doing is completely bogus, imo - they are brazenly slapping the community in the face.

what they're counting on is to make the changes, and hope people forget (which will happen).

remember to send B&N letters about the alabama!

remember to send B&N letters about the alabama!

Assuming B&N moves out of the Alabama... is that such a horrible thing?

Maybe that space can be better used another way.

Afterall, it was never meant to house a bookstore, it was designed to show movies.

I know reverting it to a movie theatre prolly wouldn't be a profitable move, even if it was a unique like the RO or a quirky concept like alamo drafthouse... but still, maybe a more profitable and better use can be found (and by that i mean more people would use it than currently as a bookstore).

Could make for a great danceclub space.. or perhaps move a BW3 in there, part resturant, part friggan huge screens for a sportsbar.... something... maybe a comedy club... maybe some theatre troupe moves in..... I guess I just don't see it as the end of the world if a equally suitable tenant can be found.

Edited by Highway6

not necessarily - although i have enjoyed shopping there more than any other big book store

it just depends on what happens to the theater after it's vacated - that's where the uneasiness lies

Maybe that space can be better used another way.

Afterall, it was never meant to house a bookstore, it was designed to show movies.

I know reverting it to a movie theatre prolly wouldn't be a profitable move, even if it was a unique like the RO or a quirky concept like alamo drafthouse... but still, maybe a more profitable and better use can be found (and by that i mean more people would use it than currently as a bookstore).

Could make for a great danceclub space.. or perhaps move a BW3 in there, part resturant, part friggan huge screens for a sportsbar.... something... maybe a comedy club... maybe some theatre troupe moves in..... I guess I just don't see it as the end of the world if a equally suitable tenant can be found.

Fair point, but old movie theaters are notorious for being difficult to redevelop, which is why so many end up vacant or torn down. When it opened the Bookstop was considered a model for an innovative theater redevelopment. Of course they can't be forced to stay in the space, but once they leave it is hard to imagine that Weingarten will have any particular interest in saving the theater layout.

Fair point, but old movie theaters are notorious for being difficult to redevelop, which is why so many end up vacant or torn down. When it opened the Bookstop was considered a model for an innovative theater redevelopment. Of course they can't be forced to stay in the space, but once they leave it is hard to imagine that Weingarten will have any particular interest in saving the theater layout.

Yep. The Alabama is definitely unique in that very few changes were made to the theater when the Bookstop moved in - I believe the original screen is even still in place behind the magazine racks. I can't think of too many other potential tenants that wouldn't gut the interior irreversibly.

It would be fantastic if, as previously mentioned, the Alamo Drafthouse moved in and started showing films again there. They've done well in their other locations in Austin and Houston by following a proven formula, but the rent that Weingarten would probably charge for the Alabama might be a dealbreaker.

I imagine sometimes we can't do anything about old man progress. If a freeway needs to plow through a neighborhood it has to happen and the poor old houses have to go. Same with old movie houses.

After the Alabama Theater was remodeled, it never was the same. It always felt so ackward walking through rows of books where just a few years earlier I sat with my whole family to see The Towering Inferno, it was a spectacular event at the Alabama. Week after week people surrounded the block to get in and it often to sold out. The tall Alabama neon sign in front will always hark me back to those days and especially that film as the sign resembled the flaming tower in the film. (just not on fire of course). Glad I still have the movie poster for memories...

the_towering_inferno.jpg

After the Alabama Theater was remodeled, it never was the same. It always felt so ackward walking through rows of books where just a few years earlier I sat with my whole family to see The Towering Inferno, it was a spectacular event at the Alabama. Week after week people surrounded the block to get in and it often to sold out. The tall Alabama neon sign in front will always hark me back to those days and especially that film as the sign resembled the flaming tower in the film. (just not on fire of course).

I must have been there too. i remember seeing that and another irwin allen classic "earthquake" there. in sensurround

Edited by musicman

I must have been there too. i remember seeing that and another irwin allen classic "earthquake" there. in sensurround

I know we are drifting from the topic but when you get a chance to see the video/dvd of this film (Earthquake). To this day, I still find it extremely hard to distinguish what is a real & whats not. They had done a hell of a job for this movie. Took years to make and was well worth it. Won best "Special Effects" that year much deserved. Didn't need any cheap cruddy computer animation then. Earthquake played "exclusively" at The Tower Theater for months. We used to round up friends and ride the bus just to see again & again. Critics knocked it for years but I can attest that it was way ahead of its time. No one cared about the acting it was the spectacle that mattered. I recall the speakers on the wall rattling & flickering everytime the quake started. Was too coooool!!!!

earthquake.JPG

Edited by Vertigo58

Yep. The Alabama is definitely unique in that very few changes were made to the theater when the Bookstop moved in - I believe the original screen is even still in place behind the magazine racks. I can't think of too many other potential tenants that wouldn't gut the interior irreversibly.

Yeah - I've tried to patronize that Bookstop precisely because I had heard they made an effort to retain as much of the original Alabama Theater as possible, so that it would be viable to return it to use as a theater in the future. But I'm also at a loss to come up with who would want to use it as a theater, or even use the space in its current converted-theater incarnation. I'm sure there are some potential purchasers who would - just likely not the ones who will pay top-dollar.

I think this is the entire set (12) of online Bob Bailey photos of the Alabama Theater. If you haven't seen it before, note the one in the last row with the Weingarten's truck and display outside.

Watch it on the topic hijacking please.

Great pictures.

My guess is that the Alabama will be destroyed, but that Weingarten will "agree" to keep the River Oaks - in other words set it up as a tradeoff. People will think, "At least they are saving one" and be happy at that. I would further guess that they will build whatever replaces the Bookstop in a fake Art Deco style, since it seems to work for many people to claim that rebuilding to match an old style is equivalent to preservation. Either that or they will go the Village Theater route, and plop on some fake marquee as an "historical reference."

I know reverting it to a movie theatre prolly wouldn't be a profitable move, even if it was a unique like the RO or a quirky concept like alamo drafthouse...

What they need to do is find a company like what they have up here in PDX; McMenamins. $3 movies, good food and cheap beer :Dhttp://www.mcmenamins.com/index.php?loc=57...tion%20Homepage

I know for a fact they are packed just about every night. You have to get there early to get one of the good couches in the gym. The Draft house is a little tooo posh for me, I like my couches and cheap beer.

I hate to say it, but this is the one area that PDX has bested H-town. Well that and Beavers baseball.

• 3 weeks later...

another update from GHPA:

HAHC to consider Landmark Designations for River Oaks Shopping Center, River Oaks Theater, Alabama Theater

In a surprise move, Houston Archeological and Historical Commission (HAHC) will consider designating the River Oaks Shopping Center, River Oaks Theater and Alabama Theater/Bookstop as City of Houston Landmarks without the approval of Weingarten Realty Investors, which owns the buildings. If passed, this would be the first time the Commission has designated an existing building on its own initiative, even though HAHC has had the legal authority to designate landmarks without owner approval since City Council enacted the Preservation Ordinance in 1995.

HAHC

Thanks for posting re the HAHC meeting tomorrow - what an interesting development.

The agenda item reads:

"Consideration of initiation by HAHC of the Landmark Designation Applications for the Alabama Theater at 2292 S. Shepherd Drive, the River Oaks Theatre at 2009 W. Gray and the River Oaks Community Center Shopping Complex at W. Gray and Shepherd Drive".

I can't tell for sure if this means that HAHC is initiating applications or considering initiating applications - my guess is that they are voting on whether to initiate applications, so that a majority vote of the commission members on Wednesday would result in their initiating applications. According to my reading of the preservation ordinance, initiation of these applications would give the structures temporary protection as if they had already been designated landmarks. To get permanent "protection" (such as it is), as noted in the GHPA piece, would require planning commission and city council approval.

If anyone is thinking of going to this meeting, it looks like you can show up at 3:00 tomorrow and sign up to speak (for a few minutes) for or against initiation of the applications.

Edited by tmariar

HAHC votes to begin Landmark Designation Process for River Oaks Shopping Center, River Oaks Theater, Alabama Theater

This afternoon, Houston Archeological and Historical Commission (HAHC), chaired by historian Betty Chapman, unanimously voted to proceed with designating the River Oaks Shopping Center, River Oaks Theater and Alabama Theater/Bookstop as City of Houston Landmarks without the approval of Weingarten Realty Investors, which owns the buildings. This is the first time the Commission has moved to designate an existing building on its own initiative, although HAHC has had the legal authority to designate landmarks without owner approval since City Council enacted the Preservation Ordinance in 1995.

Commission member Phoebe Tudor said the action was important if the HAHC was going to be a proactive preservation watchdog organization that is

I am all for saving these buildings, but attempting to designate the River Oaks Theater and Bookstop as Protected Landmarks is a tremendous waste of time and energy. The buildings cannot be fully designated without the consent of Weingarten, who is obviously going to refuse or just ignore the issue. If anything, this will serve to anger Weingarten, who may then decide to demolish the buildings out of spite.

If anything, this will serve to anger Weingarten, who may then decide to demolish the buildings out of spite.

at first, that sounded kind of silly, but after thinking of the antics these folks are responsible for, and also considering the Weingarten family's place in Houston history, who knows what could happen.

it would of course be a terrible shame and enormous embarrassment for me as a Houstonian (and i know i'm not alone) if Weingarten were to pull off such immature and malevolent tactics.

at first, that sounded kind of silly, but after thinking of the antics these folks are responsible for, and also considering the Weingarten family's place in Houston history, who knows what could happen.

it would of course be a terrible shame and enormous embarrassment for me as a Houstonian (and i know i'm not alone) if Weingarten were to pull off such immature and malevolent tactics.

and what if you were a weingarten? ideally the owner would want to save something historical however if you're not making as much money as you could, from the business aspect, demolition would probably be the answer.

ideally the owner would want to save something historical however if you're not making as much money as you could, from the business aspect, demolition would probably be the answer.

just from my limited knowledge, i haven't witnessed any care about Weingarten wanting that.

and if they aren't making as much $$ as they could, then i would of course have to find fault in their business practices ;)

just from my limited knowledge, i haven't witnessed any care about Weingarten wanting that.

and if they aren't making as much $$ as they could, then i would of course have to find fault in their business practices ;)

they've already announced the portion where the black eyed pea is will be demolished and replaced with something similar style including a parking garage.

I am all for saving these buildings, but attempting to designate the River Oaks Theater and Bookstop as Protected Landmarks is a tremendous waste of time and energy. The buildings cannot be fully designated without the consent of Weingarten, who is obviously going to refuse or just ignore the issue. If anything, this will serve to anger Weingarten, who may then decide to demolish the buildings out of spite.

I doubt that they would demolish them out of spite...they're just a faceless emotionless corporation with a single motive...but it would not be inconceivable that they'd pull the permits earlier than necessary in order to head off the prospect of any preservation laws with teeth that might come down the pike.

they've already announced the portion where the black eyed pea is will be demolished and replaced with something similar style including a parking garage.

And this is true; it indicates that they are not deaf and that they will at least work to try and minimize the PR damage, but they're most certainly still going with a plan that is financially lucrative.