I believe it's possible that the entire center got a bit of a reprieve when the Allen Center Project was announced. I'm sure the theater and that particular section of the mall will be saved from the wrecking ball, but the rest of it is up for grabs when construction is completed and property values soar further.

I believe it's possible that the entire center got a bit of a reprieve when the Allen Center Project was announced. I'm sure the theater and that particular section of the mall will be saved from the wrecking ball, but the rest of it is up for grabs when construction is completed and property values soar further.

What is the Allen Center Project you refer to?

The only recent news I heard was the GHPA report that Preservation Texas added the River Oaks shopping center and theater, and the Alabama theater, to its 2007 list of "Texas' Most Endangered Historic Places". Along with the West Mansion and a large portion of Galveston. Can't hurt, I guess - particularly given that the future of the theaters and the shopping center hasn't been as hot a topic as it once was, in the absence of any recent developments, good or bad.

the idea is that after the initial uproar, the long stretch of time between it and the possible redevelopment is enough that folks eventually forget/lose interest. that, coupled with the fact that weingarten won't be too forthright means that they are more likely to get away with whatever they choose, at anyone's (or thing's) expense

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds promising...

Weingarten press release.

HOUSTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--March 30, 2007--Houston-based Weingarten Realty Investors (NYSE:WRI)(www.weingarten.com) announced today that the company is investing more than $15 million in a redevelopment of the section of River Oaks Shopping Center located at the northeast corner of Shepherd and West Gray.

Scheduled for completion in 2009, the project will add retail capacity and modernize utility infrastructure while preserving the unique curved facade, art deco and moderne architectural influences that customers and neighbors have come to enjoy and appreciate. Plans include a multi-story parking garage to be located behind the center and outdoor pedestrian areas for shoppers.

...Bender underscored the fact that the announced plan does not in any way impact the River Oaks Theater building.

Edited by Highway6

Sounds promising...

Weingarten press release.

HOUSTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--March 30, 2007--Houston-based Weingarten Realty Investors (NYSE:WRI)(www.weingarten.com) announced today that the company is investing more than $15 million in a redevelopment of the section of River Oaks Shopping Center located at the northeast corner of Shepherd and West Gray.

Scheduled for completion in 2009, the project will add retail capacity and modernize utility infrastructure while preserving the unique curved facade, art deco and moderne architectural influences that customers and neighbors have come to enjoy and appreciate. Plans include a multi-story parking garage to be located behind the center and outdoor pedestrian areas for shoppers.

...Bender underscored the fact that the announced plan does not in any way impact the River Oaks Theater building.

definitely, i hope the proposed parking garage fits in well.

"With improved access, increased retail space and design enhancements reflective of the center's art deco and moderne character, we will be creating the future of the center within the context of the past," added Bender.

this doesn't sound good, "design enhancements reflective of the center's art deco and moderne character". i wonder if they are going with an architectural firm that will be sensitive to the existing center. art deco and moderne "enhancements" can mean whatever weingarten wants it to mean.

on the other hand, if they keep the existing radius and covered walkways, it might not be too bad.

I wonder what this will mean for the Alabama.

Yeah - not to focus on the negative in what seems to be a fairly positive development (at least compared to what many feared)... but I hope this doesn't mean bad things for the Alabama.

they didn't mention the theater because these plans are only for the corner segment - as far as i am concerned, the theater still is in danger.

and we'll see just how architecturally sympathetic these new structures will be...

they didn't mention the theater because these plans are only for the corner segment - as far as i am concerned, the theater still is in danger.

Now that I've seen the drawings and the Chronicle article, I'm not feeling nearly as encouraged. That's one mighty big parking garage...

What's wrong with the parking garage?

I just said it was big... Which may suggest additional plans for development in the area other than just what's been announced. Just trying to read the tea leaves.

Does the size of the garage look to you in keeping with (just) the other announced development? If so, that would be good to hear.

I just said it was big... Which may suggest additional plans for development in the area other than just what's been announced. Just trying to read the tea leaves.

Does the size of the garage look to you in keeping with (just) the other announced development? If so, that would be good to hear.

If they're getting a Barnes & Noble and some office space, they really have no choice but to add structured parking. Each of those users generate a lot of parking demand, and they're nowhere close to being able to fulfill those needs at present.

You might also consider that if they must build around the RO Theater in future phases, then there is a smaller footprint on the opposite block to build structured parking. Parking garages that are more horizontal than vertical tend to use space more efficiently and have lower costs per parking space. Weingarten probably prefers to build any structured parking in the central blocks of the RO Shopping Center, preferably on the west side of McDuffie so as to provide excellent pedestrian access from the garage to the most expensive retail space, which would be nearest Shepherd, as well as at least fair access to the rest of the center. So having one larger garage serving the entire center once it is fully redeveloped might be more desirable from their standpoint than having two smaller ones. This is just my speculation, of course, so take it for what it is.

Feel free to mass email the below persons. I sent an email earlier today to everyone on the list I built. I also included a very brief statement that can be found after the emails.

mayor@cityofhouston.net

atlarge1@cityofhouston.net

atlarge2@cityofhouston.net

atlarge4@cityofhouston.net

atlarge5@cityofhouston.net

districta@cityofhouston.net

districtd@cityofhouston.net

districtg@cityofhouston.net

districtc@cityofhouston.net

districte@cityofhouston.net

districtf@cityofhouston.net

jessica.willey@abc.com

andy.cerota@abc.com

gene.apodaca@abc.com

dominique@click2houston.com

parcher@click2houston.com

jerome@click2houston.com

nancy.sarnoff@chron.com

loren.steffy@chron.com

ken.hoffman@chron.com

rda@rice.edu

info@ghpa.org

ir@weingarten.com

pbender@weingarten.com

gcrump@weingarten.com

aferguson@weingarten.com

jpearson@weingarten.com

Let us not forget our past or the former civic leaders that built Houston to the city it is today. By slowly destroying such wonderful buildings and structures, we are wiping away our history, our heritage, our way of life.

At least they kept the curve, white facades, and some resemblance to an Art Deco structure. They could have very easily knocked down Starbucks and thrown up (npi) a red-brick B&N like every other one in suburbia. Since there was absolutely no way that this development could have been stopped, I think we should be glad they made some efforts to integrate into the existing structures. Trust me, it could have been a lot, lot worse.

The renderings must depict the location at 5:30 am on a Sunday morning, however. In real life, the surface parking will be as jammed and gridlocked as the Williams-Sonoma/PF Chang's lot.