I emailed the following:

ir@weingarten.com

[...]

I emailed Brook at Weingarten and it bounced back. Hope she did not get fired on Friday. :)

FWIW, Weingarten's website lists Brook's email address as bwootton@weingarten.com - my guess is that ir@weingarten.com was a generic investor relations address that may be out of date if it's bouncing.

Yep, speaking of token gestures. I thought that sign was not original to the Village Theater, but I'll check it out.

It's not. It's a replica that was built to look like the original marquee. I couldn't find a picture of it online anywhere, but if you compare it with a picture of the original marquee, it's fairly obvious that the proportions and some of the details are different. I believe that there was originally some talk of using of the original marquee when the Village Arcade was being planned, but for whatever reason (previously undetected structural problems due to its age?), it never happened.

i just came back from a party. the mom of one of the party goers is a long time river oaks theatre fan. she is way PISSED. she has a salon off of woodhead or something. i was toked that others already knew of the plight of the river oaks theatre. the word is out. SAVE THE RIVER OAKS THEATRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:wacko: NOOOOOOOO !!!!

I can't believe this is happening. Just what is wrong with this area as it is? It has a great mix of stores, restaurants and entertainment for morning til night business, for a diverse cross-section of Houstonians. Architecturally speaking, it's also one of the best preserved and most together areas in Houston BECAUSE it hasn't had slapdash development (like a highrise condo towering over 1 story retail).

We have to act fast to voice our opinions in a big way. Media is the voice of the modern world - why not setup a website (PayPal?) like SaveTheRiverOaks.com to accept donations to place a full page ad in the Chronicle (or any other high impact venue) voicing what I believe is the message most long-term Houstonians will have ....

" DON'T TOUCH The River Oaks Theatre/Shopping District - It's Perfect AS IS and an Irreplaceable Piece of Houston's History !!!"

I would think this ad could also list the contact info someone posted above to point people in the right direction to make themselves heard, en masse. ESPECIALLY the contact info for Weingarten Properties and Mayor White. Perhaps the Mayor could broker a deal for tax incentives for them to leave the area alone.

What do y'all think? Does anyone have the web prowess to spearhead a donation site?

Edited by GoAtomic

From http://www.ghpa.org/update/index.html#pa

City offers new protection for historic resources

On Aug. 17, 2005, Houston City Council unanimously voted to amend the Historic Preservation Ordinance and create a new category of historic designation: Protected Landmark. GHPA strongly supported this measure, which, for the first time, provides real protection from demolition, relocation and unsympathetic alteration for Houston's irreplaceable historic resources.

Mayor Bill White demonstrated his public commitment to historic preservation by providing strong leadership in this matter. Council Members Pam Holm and Adrian Garcia successfully crafted a workable amendment that recognizes the unique challenges of preservation in Houston. This is the first time that provisions of the Preservation Ordinance have been changed since Council enacted the law in 1995.

As the proposed amendment was working its way toward approval, GHPA staff members attended public sessions of the Archeological and Historical Commission, Planning Commission and City Council to speak on behalf of the changes. GHPA members received regular e-mail updates and were encouraged to contact their Council representatives in support of the amendment.

During the public discussion before City Council, GHPA Executive Director Ramona Davis said, "This is a real gift to the city. Our staff has carefully studied the amendment and it addresses many preservation concerns. We are very happy to support it."

In response, Mayor White made a request of Davis, "We need your help to bring forth as many people as possible. People who want to enhance their properties and preserve their properties using the provisions of this amendment."

Toward that end, GHPA has posted the application form and criteria for City Landmark and Protected Landmark designation on this Web site. Download the form >

More information on the amendment to the Historic Preservation Ordinance >

The amendment also secured the futures of eight important city-owned buildings by designating these historic properties as Protected Landmarks:

Edited by nmainguy

Just stay active. Here is a list of people I sent a buld email to:

bwootton@weingarten.com

mayor@cityofhouston.net

districtd@cityofhouston.net

districtg@cityofhouston.net

districth@cityofhouston.net

atlarge1@cityofhouston.net

atlarge2@cityofhouston.net

atlarge3@cityofhouston.net

atlarge4@cityofhouston.net

atlarge5@cityofhouston.net

info@ghpa.org

rda@rice.edu

kfosdick@rice.edu

info@houstonmod.org

andy.cerota@abc.com

dominique@click2houston.com

sdean@click2houston.com

assignments@khou.com

ken.hoffman@chron.com

shelby.hodge@chron.com

loren.steffy@chron.com

jack.sweeney@chron.com

sylvan@rice.edu

dma@rice.edu

pmarzio@mfah.org

There is not random order. I just kinda went all over to find people I thought might be able to do something. If you have any other contacts, list them asap. Hit them while this is a hot topic.

I want to cry...but first I have to thowup. This makes me sick... I had no idea this was going on.

I was at 3 brothers last week and realized there was a lot of empty spaces. I was clueless.

I will send emails to everyone on the list provided. And please keep us informed of anything else we can do. Even when the day comes to chain ourselves to the front door...I'll be there.

Pumapayam, you're starting to upset me with the things you say.

The people who enjoy going to the River Oaks Theater could care less about its lack of Stadium Seating, its lack of THX sound system, and its lack of DLP projectors. Too much technology is not always a good thing, and it detracts from the theater's intention, which is to be an alternative to the megaplexes and their crappy movies. I'm not saying every movie they show is good, but it at least keeps its focus on the idea of "cinema" rather than gimmicks.

Belongs in a small town? How long have you lived in Houston? It fits perfectly in that location. You say it "doesn't belong in such a great location"?! The theater is part of what makes the location so great. I'm sorry if I sound rude, but unless you're a native Houstonian, you just wouldn't understand. Back in the 1980s/1990s, anyone who even brought up the idea of destroying the theater would be criticized. I guess in today's Houston, with all its non-Houstonian residents all over the city, something truly great and locally significant can be criticized because it's not modern enough. It's an historic landmark, and people enjoy it for what it is. It's something you can never re-create again; definitely of the last remnants of evidence of civic life in Houston. It's not like an AMC 30 that you can just build anywhere, regardless of the city or area. It would be an insult to re-invent it into whatever high-rise property is built in that space. I'm hoping the rumors are not true, and if they are, that the project is met with much resistance. First Astroworld, then Cactus Music, now this? People need to stand up for their city.

;)

Bravo! Well said! My sentiments exactly! Some people just don't get it! I'm sick of the homegeneity of retail in this country. The old theater is precisely what makes that center UNIQUE and SPECIAL!

It has its own niche: movies for people who care more about the film than the seating.

Hear! Hear! I'm glad to have watched films at a theater like the River Oaks. There's no movie theater like it in Houston. I'd hate to see it join the ranks of the Metropolitan and the Lowes.

Let's not forget the Alabama Bookstop, too. The folks there have done a good job of retaining a lot of its movie theater aspects and incorporating it into the bookstore.

Losing both would kill a part of the city's identity.

Just what is wrong with this area as it is? It has a great mix of stores, restaurants and entertainment for morning til night business, for a diverse cross-section of Houstonians.

Here's my take on it. Weingarten is not totally happy with the tenant mix at River Oaks Shopping Center. They would like it to be more "upscale," on par perhaps with Highland Village. They made no bones about it a few years ago when they chased out One's-A-Meal, another local institution, to make space for a Talbots or something. Given that track record, you can see where they're not thrilled with a grimy 70-year old movie theater that no doubt doesn't exactly rake in big bucks.

And who doesn't want to bet, right here and now, that after the transformation they won't give the project a cheesy "lifestye center" name? Something like "The Shoppes at Shepherd Crossing," or perhaps "The Parke at River Oaks". *barf*

RiverOaksCC.jpg

And who doesn't want to bet, right here and now, that after the transformation they won't give the project a cheesy "lifestye center" name? Something like "The Shoppes at Shepherd Crossing," or perhaps "The Parke at River Oaks". *barf*

or...Ch

I can't see why they can't demo where sherlocks is and build up that part of the block and perhaps build around the theater.

Well, I'm sure they could, if they wanted to. But that's the whole point. They don't want to. If Weingarten perceives the River Oaks theater as a problem tenant - low income, wrong demographics, etc. - then, from their viewpoint, building where Sherlocks is wouldn't do anything to help fix the problem. Only destroying the theater would.

Not sure why they'd be concerned about the demographics for the Landmark River Oaks.

Of all the theaters in Houston, I'd put that one as the one with the least amount of riff raff.

Also, the theater makes West Gray a DESTINATION spot.

For example, my mom and her best friend went to see An Inconvenient Truth last night. They ate at Tony Mandola's Gulf Coast Kitchen across the street before the show and grabbed a Starbucks after. That's fairly typical.

Opposition will only work if it's organized. A bunch of people crying separately will not do anything.

Maybe HAIF can create a temporary category that will appear towards the top of the list (perhaps right under Going Up!) whenever there is a major preservation alert like this. Some sort of a Red Alert type thing, or Going Down!, that will catch the attention of anyone who comes here. The forum can then serve as a major meeting spot for any plans to fight this thing.

Major landmarks going down are after all just as important as major landmarks going up in determining the architectural landscape of this city.

Not sure why they'd be concerned about the demographics for the Landmark River Oaks.

Of all the theaters in Houston, I'd put that one as the one with the least amount of riff raff.

Also, the theater makes West Gray a DESTINATION spot.

For example, my mom and her best friend went to see An Inconvenient Truth last night. They ate at Tony Mandola's Gulf Coast Kitchen across the street before the show and grabbed a Starbucks after. That's fairly typical.

Ah, but Starbucks is typical enough...would they also frequent Talbot's, Bombay, Jos A. Bank, Wolf Camera, Cafe Express, La Madeline, etc?

These local tenants are low-income high-risk types. The national credit tenants are where the money's at...they also make it a hell of a lot easier to sell a retail center. Face it, Montrose area housing prices have risen to the point that its post-funky. The psychographic that makes it that way, "Bohemian Mix", is going elsewhere.

Its all part of the cycle.

These local tenants are low-income high-risk types. The national credit tenants are where the money's at...they also make it a hell of a lot easier to sell a retail center.

They already frequent Talbot's and Jos. A. Banks-have for years as well as:

Ann Taylor

Encore Bank

Chico's

GAP,

GAP Body

Nextel

Gymboree

TGF Precision Haircutter's

Black-Eyed Pea Restaurant

The Honey Baked Ham Company

Design Within Reach

Sur La Table

Allstate Insurance

Jamba Juice

Kroger

La Madeleine French Bakery & Cafe

Marble Slab Creamery

Many national credit tenants and all highly successful not to mention locals that are highly successful as well.

But don't worry, I'm betting your market-based crap with be coming soon.

They already frequent Talbot's and Jos. A. Banks-have for years as well as:

Ann Taylor

Encore Bank

Chico's

GAP,

GAP Body

Nextel

Gymboree

TGF Precision Haircutter's

Black-Eyed Pea Restaurant

The Honey Baked Ham Company

Design Within Reach

Sur La Table

Allstate Insurance

Jamba Juice

Kroger

La Madeleine French Bakery & Cafe

Marble Slab Creamery

Many national credit tenants and all highly successful not to mention locals that are highly successful as well.

But don't worry, I'm betting your market-based crap with be coming soon.

Only a few of those would fly with what I'm sure that they are shooting for.

Does the RiverOaks Center have a website detailing what stores are where ?

Also...

Are y'all oposed to any redevelopment of this center, or only that which effects RiverOaks Theatre ?

I see all these other retail names being thrown out, and the whole Barnes and Noble mention...but I just wanted to be clear.. for the most part, it's truly only the theatre thats is the jewel worth saving in most people's opinion, correct? ...Any other mention of opposition to redeveloping this center is bascially because it is assumed it will effect the theatre...

Am i reading this right, or are people also genuinely concerned about losing a black eye pea, talbots, or one of two starbucks ?

Edited by Highway6

Also...

Are y'all oposed to any redevelopment of this center, or only that which effects RiverOaks Theatre ?

I see all these other retail names being thrown out, and the whole Barnes and Noble mention...but I just wanted to be clear.. for the most part, it's truly only the theatre thats is the jewel worth saving in most people's opinion, correct? ...Any other mention of opposition to redeveloping this center is bascially because it is assumed it will effect the theatre...

Am i reading this right, or are people also genuinely concerned about losing a black eye pea, talbots, or one of two starbucks ?

I'm concerned that we are going to lose another peice of our city's history and heritage at the expense of just more crap. Personally, I'd like to see the entire original center receive historical landmark status. If not landmark status, I see no problem in redevelopment in keeping with the current style-which is possible while saving the theatre at the same time. I don't have a problem with the mix of retail-most of it already seems to be doing a steady buisness.

In any event, would you rather have this:

0124--JPG%20(375x375).jpg

or keep this?

2613432-River_Oaks_Shopping_Center-Houston.jpg

So you're sure they'll just replace these highly successful stores with crap that the people in River Oaks and surrounds will shun?

Just about any tenant in that location will rake in the revenue.

If and when it comes time to sell the center, Weingarten will realize that a bunch of high-end national credit tenants will sell off better (because of a lower risk profile) than established profitable local businesses. Its all finance and risk management, as far as the next owner would be concerned.

Folks in RO will shop there...especially the recent immigrants to the neighborhood. Trust me.

Does the RiverOaks Center have a website detailing what stores are where ?

Also...

To me, it's more about the physical structure of the center. Look at that postcard. Look at the symmetry that it has. If there is one word I could use to describe the River Oaks in its present state, it would be "classy." Put in a parking garage, and you lose that. Put in a hulking Barnes & Noble, and you lose that.

Houston is the city of the shopping center. We don't do sidewalk retail like other cities, we do shopping centers. That's the fabric of our commercial landscape. The River Oaks was our first great shopping center - the cow from which the others drew the milk. Any attempt to preserve a meaningful set of Houston architectural landmarks should start here.