:o

we still have the Angelika and Landmark.

Don't cry just yet.

it's not only the type of movie, but the locale...

we'll always have access to another homogenized bayou place or greenway plaza basement (or amc studio 876427689437), but not a river oaks theater...

Edited by sevfiv

it's not only the type of movie, but the locale...

we'll always have access to another homogenized bayou place or greenway plaza basement (or amc studio 876427689437), but not a river oaks theater...

I may just be old fashioned or i just don't watch the kind of movies that require all the special sound equipment nor do i need to sit in a lazyboy to watch a movie.

the river oaks is perfectly fine for me.

i always have a good time window shopping, grabbing a bite to eat next door, and then seeing a movie at the river oaks.

Edited by gnu

the river oaks is perfectly fine for me.

Something obviously is wrong then, because not enough people are supporting this theatre and are going to AMC, Edwards, and Cinemark for their needs.

I have been to the ROT (River Oaks Theatre, no pun intended) and it is usually empty.

Edited by Pumapayam

Something obviously is wrong then, because not enough people are supporting this theatre and are going to AMC, Edwards, and Cinemark for their needs.

I have been to the ROT (River Oaks Theatre, no pun intended) and it is usually empty.

I guess you are going to the weekday matinee or something because i would say most of the time when i go it is 70% full maybe and i usually have to wait in a longish line to get tickets.

this would be typical for a fri or sat evening at either a 7 or 9-ish movie.

i cannot tell you the last time i went to a megaplex to see a movie. but i have been to the river oaks, greenway, and the angelika in the past year with the majority of trips to the river oaks.

Edited by gnu

i would say most of the time when i go it is 70% full

Only when I went to see BB Mountain was it busy. All other times, at night, I could pass gas and not have a anyone complain! :lol: (this is just an exaggeration, I don't do that in public!)

Edited by Pumapayam

I love this theatre, especially the bar upstairs. If the teardown rumor is true, I will personally chain myself to the front door in the front of the bulldozer.

I'd be right there too. It's a great old theatre. My only complaint is with the two upstairs screens in what used to be the main theatre's balcony. My long legs only fit in about three or four seats in the upstairs theatres. But other than that, it's a great place, and it always seems busy.

I don't necessarily think it should be torn down, but some updates would be nice. I saw motorcyle diaries there last year and it was really uncomfortable to sit in there and I'm not a big person. It felt like it was a bunch of folding chairs while staring at a big screen TV from the 80's. Slight exagerration obviously, but I like the way it looks on the outside, just would like that if people care about it so much, it should be in better condition and modernized some. They tend to get indie movies there first, so I would like it to be a better experience.

Stadium Seating, THX sound systems, DLP projectors, that is the future.

That and home theatre.

River Oaks Theatre belongs in a small town, not houston and especially not in such a great location.

Maybe they can re-invent it into the property.

Pumapayam, you're starting to upset me with the things you say.

The people who enjoy going to the River Oaks Theater could care less about its lack of Stadium Seating, its lack of THX sound system, and its lack of DLP projectors. Too much technology is not always a good thing, and it detracts from the theater's intention, which is to be an alternative to the megaplexes and their crappy movies. I'm not saying every movie they show is good, but it at least keeps its focus on the idea of "cinema" rather than gimmicks.

Belongs in a small town? How long have you lived in Houston? It fits perfectly in that location. You say it "doesn't belong in such a great location"?! The theater is part of what makes the location so great. I'm sorry if I sound rude, but unless you're a native Houstonian, you just wouldn't understand. Back in the 1980s/1990s, anyone who even brought up the idea of destroying the theater would be criticized. I guess in today's Houston, with all its non-Houstonian residents all over the city, something truly great and locally significant can be criticized because it's not modern enough. It's an historic landmark, and people enjoy it for what it is. It's something you can never re-create again; definitely of the last remnants of evidence of civic life in Houston. It's not like an AMC 30 that you can just build anywhere, regardless of the city or area. It would be an insult to re-invent it into whatever high-rise property is built in that space. I'm hoping the rumors are not true, and if they are, that the project is met with much resistance. First Astroworld, then Cactus Music, now this? People need to stand up for their city.

In fact, there was a fairly generic first-run multiplex just down the street on Gray in the late 80's/early 90's. It got torn down and redeveloped. I remember very well back in the early 80's when the River Oaks used to show daily double features of classic movies. Once in a while they'd have a week-long run of a foreign or indie movie, but usually it was double features, often with some common theme, like Casablanca and Key Largo, or 2001 and Silent Running. They would publish a free tabloid-style schedule every month. That's where I saw my first Hitchcock movies, among others

I can't really express well enough how cool this was. Being able to see these movies in a theatre, with popcorn and a big screen, was amazing, and something I now sorely miss. And the cost of admission, corrected for inflation, was about what a movie rental is now.

Marty

The original message is from the Hands Up Houston message board which is basically a kids/young adult message board. I doubt it has validity. The only thing I would take as legit from that board is whether or not Dashboard Confessional, Sufjan Stevens or Death Cab For Cutie was coming to town.

Edited by groovehouse

• 2 weeks later...
Well, well, well... I stand corrected!! My apologies to the kids over at the Hands Up Houston message board! They scooped us!

Historic theater could soon fade into history (link to Chron.com}

that is a total shame!

while I'm not really attached to the the theater at w. Grey, I would like for it to remain in business, surely they can find a way to alter any designs they have to accomdate the theater, as it would make a great plus if they have residential units there.

As far as the Bookstop on Shepherd, THAT definately has to be saved, every person that I introduce people to that location are stunned and in awe of the work that went into it and prefer going to THAT bookstop as opposed to the other cookie cutter locations.

• Like 1

Well I apologize for saying the original rumor was bogus.

This is really sad if it is true. What is really annoying is Weingarten refusing to return phone calls or meet with the GHPA. Arrogant jerks. If you want to write and complain, here's the contact info:

Brook E. Wootton

Director/Investor Relations and Corporate Communications

Phone: 713-866-6050

Toll-free 800-298-9974

Electronic Mail Address: ir@weingarten.com

certainly they could come up with a plan utilizing parking space, say behind la griglia, to build a multi level parking garage with several floors of condos above. it would add needed parking space to the center and add a residential element.

should our battle cry be "REMEMBER THE BELLAIRE!!!"? guess that's too obscure for most.

• Like 1

should our battle cry be "REMEMBER THE BELLAIRE!!!"? guess that's too obscure for most.

You could also say "Remember the Village Theater!" Weingarten razed that one, too -- to make way for the Rice Village mall that now houses Banana Republic and Victoria's Secret.

In a nod to history, the company erected a movie-style Village Theater sign and a plaque in the parking lot. (I've heard that the sign wasn't even original to the Village Theater. Does anyone know for sure?)

In Houston, even a lame reference to the past passes for preservation.

Full disclosure: I'm the Chronicle reporter who wrote that depressing story.

Subdude-

Thank you for the contact information for Weingarten.

I am calling first thing Monday morning and am sending an email today.

I just called my mom in Houston to tell her the news. She just bought a place on Del Monte because she is older and wants to be close to things she can walk to. One of the reasons she chose Del Monte was to have access to the River Oaks Landmark Theater. She is PISSED. I passed the contact info. on to her and she is gonna spread the word at the next ROAD Women meeting.

A copy of my email:

Brook,

I was reading the Houston Chronicle online edition regarding endangered buildings in Houston. I was born and raised in Houston and spent countless hours shopping and dinning in the River Oaks shopping center. Whenever I go home, I am always driving by or stopping in the center for one thing or another. I am alarmed to hear rumors that Weingarten might demolish part of, or the entire center itself.

The time has come to realize that Houston has many wonderful, significant buildings that deserve to be protected. They deserve to be shared by this generation and the generations that follow them. Leave something that will contribute to the mental growth of the city, something that will foster pride in the citizens of Houston. Whenever an old, beautiful structure is demolished, we loose a little piece of our city, a piece of who we are and what we represent. We can either represent pride in ourselves, in Houston, and the way we look at our city, or we can continue the trend and demolish yet another piece of our city.

The shopping center is a wonderful piece of architecture to the city of Houston. Not only that, it remains a vibrant, yet calming distraction to the new, yet garish, shopping centers that seem to overwhelm the senses.

Chris Dodson

Currently residing in Dallas, Texas

I emailed the following:

ir@weingarten.com

mayor@cityofhouston.net

districtd@cityofhouston.net

districtg@cityofhouston.net

districth@cityofhouston.net

atlarge1@cityofhouston.net

atlarge2@cityofhouston.net

atlarge3@cityofhouston.net

atlarge4@cityofhouston.net

atlarge5@cityofhouston.net

info@ghpa.org

rda@rice.edu

kfosdick@rice.edu

info@houstonmod.org

andy.cerota@abc.com

dominique@click2houston.com

sdean@click2houston.com

assignments@khou.com

ken.hoffman@chron.com

shelby.hodge@chron.com

loren.steffy@chron.com

jack.sweeney@chron.com

sylvan@rice.edu

dma@rice.edu

jelfenstein@menil.org

pmarzio@mfah.org

twalsh@menil.org

Subdude-

Thank you for the contact information for Weingarten.

I am calling first thing Monday morning and am sending an email today.

I just called my mom in Houston to tell her the news. She just bought a place on Del Monte because she is older and wants to be close to things she can walk to. One of the reasons she chose Del Monte was to have access to the River Oaks Landmark Theater. She is PISSED. I passed the contact info. on to her and she is gonna spread the word at the next ROAD Women meeting.

I emailed Brook at Weingarten and it bounced back. Hope she did not get fired on Friday. :)

that is a total shame!

while I'm not really attached to the the theater at w. Grey, I would like for it to remain in business, surely they can find a way to alter any designs they have to accomdate the theater, as it would make a great plus if they have residential units there.

As far as the Bookstop on Shepherd, THAT definately has to be saved, every person that I introduce people to that location are stunned and in awe of the work that went into it and prefer going to THAT bookstop as opposed to the other cookie cutter locations.

Can't they just save the front facade and have a new interior, I think that is was most people are attached too, the entrance and the marquee.

Can't they just save the front facade and have a new interior, I think that is was most people are attached too, the entrance and the marquee.

No. No, no, and no. It seems an alien notion in this town, but sometimes "preservation" means actually preserving something worth saving, rather than cutesy token gestures like incorporating bits of the old facade. Besides, the interior is the best part of the theater - especially the wood relief figures by the downstairs screen. It would be a real loss to Houston if this is torn down. Those folks at Weingarten are real jackals to pull a stunt like this. Shows you their committment to the community, doesn't it?

Banking214, good letter and thanks for the additional addresses.

In a nod to history, the company erected a movie-style Village Theater sign and a plaque in the parking lot. (I've heard that the sign wasn't even original to the Village Theater. Does anyone know for sure?)

In Houston, even a lame reference to the past passes for preservation.

Yep, speaking of token gestures. I thought that sign was not original to the Village Theater, but I'll check it out.

No. No, no, and no. It seems an alien notion in this town, but sometimes "preservation" means actually preserving something worth saving, rather than cutesy token gestures like incorporating bits of the old facade. Besides, the interior is the best part of the theater - especially the wood relief figures by the downstairs screen. It would be a real loss to Houston if this is torn down.

I am just spoiled with Stadium seating, and it would be nice.

Also, if they could make it bigger and add more theatres, like 6 instead of 3 (I think I has 3), it could better complete with more variety.

I am just spoiled with Stadium seating, and it would be nice.

Also, if they could make it bigger and add more theatres, like 6 instead of 3 (I think I has 3), it could better complete with more variety.

For some reason, I just want to run screaming from the system.

You don't watch movies older than 1980, do you?

*smacks head* Yes, stadium seating would be nice. And so would 20 screens, and more snack counters, and maybe a parking garage. And then you'd just have Edwards or any other multiplex, so what's the point? They could do all kinds of "improvements", but it would just destroy the charm of the theater, and result in a mediocrity. The River Oaks isn't competing with those theaters anyway. It has its own niche: movies for people who care more about the film than the seating.

Puma

How old are you?

There are literally hundreds of options for stadium seating, big dollar productions, and ample surface parking.

There's just ONE option remaining for indie films in a classic theater with history and beautiful architecture. There's just one with a chance for folks to take a stroll down the street to get a meal or a coffee before and after the show.

Tear down the River Oaks and it is GONE for ever. Dismantle the inside and you can't ever go back.

When will we realize that everyime we allow something like this happen, our collective souls die just a little bit?

Not to be a drama queen, but it's true. I've been going to this theater since I was a kid and I am not that old. My mother can remember attending movies here when she was in high school at Lamar in the 1940s. My first real date was here to see the Unbearable Lightness of Being in the late 1980s.

This one is personal!

I couldn't believe it when I actually saw the Chronicle article. I wonder if there is anything we can do. My mother was involved in a neighborhood coalition a few years back that actually stopped a Wal-Mart from building a store. If a bunch of suburbanite moms can stop Wal-Mart, why can't an entire city stop this from happening?