Recommendation of ceiling/floor repair

Hi, we found excessive ceiling sag related to sag of floors upstairs. The house is built in 59 and remodeled in 1999. Anyone knows how the repair work will be done and could recommend a good shop for repairing? Any estimation of the cost?

Appreciate your help!

Sounds like someone removed a load bearing wall without proper sized beam for the room above. You're going to have to jack up the ceiling, tear out the sheetrock from one wall to another along the beam, slide a larger one (proper sized along it), then anchor to slab with some vertical boards along the ends of the room. Don't know who to recommend, but it could be fairly pricey depending on length of span and actual problem.

Sounds like someone removed a load bearing wall without proper sized beam for the room above. You're going to have to jack up the ceiling, tear out the sheetrock from one wall to another along the beam, slide a larger one (proper sized along it), then anchor to slab with some vertical boards along the ends of the room. Don't know who to recommend, but it could be fairly pricey depending on length of span and actual problem.

Thank you, Brian! This is very useful. I am still looking for a crew to get this fixed. Hope someone could recommend a reliable person! We only want to fix it for once in lifetime :)

Do you have a good frame person who can do the work? Or do you know where I can find the frame people?

Thanks,

Nan

Or you could pull off the ceiling rock, jack up the joists, sister the joists (glue, screw, and pray), and see if it holds up.  Dont have a contractor but this is pretty straightforward for a frame person.

I looked in Angies List but its mostly painters and trash haulers who happen to do large additions on the side. Their search function leaves much to be desired. They don't have a framing category. You might try a neighborhood group like Woodland Heights for referrals. My experience is, the best people don't have to advertise.

Thank you so much!

I looked in Angies List but its mostly painters and trash haulers who happen to do large additions on the side. Their search function leaves much to be desired. They don't have a framing category. You might try a neighborhood group like Woodland Heights for referrals. My experience is, the best people don't have to advertise.

Archived