One Park Place: Multifamily At 1400 McKinney St.

GovernorAggie

311xInlineGallery.jpg

Well, well, well, Mr. Finger has let the cat outta the bag. Hopefully this one comes to fruition.

So any comments on the style from what we can see??

37 stories is pretty significant. Especially for a downtown residential rental tower. If the occupancy is absorbed quickly, then I think that we will see more towers sooner rather than later--and I would not be surprised if many of them were apartments with the intention of converting to condos later.

It also looks as if Finger and Turnberry could be positioning themselves to have the tallest buildings completed in Houston since ??? When was the last time Houston has a building completed of at least 38 stories??

• Like 1

2001 - Enron Center South, 40 stories. Last one before that was 1987.

I've become cynical about downtown highrises, but this just might be the one that makes it. It looks like the guy knows what he's doing.

As for the architecture, I was glad to hear that it would have masonry and not concrete or stucco. The limestone accents sound good too. Perhaps this guy took a walk down Central Park West for inspiration?

Also like the ground floor retail.

Something was naggingly familiar about the design of this building. Then I remembered:

lasalletop.jpg

190 La Salle St., Chicago. A Philip Johnson classic, from the beginning of the neo-historical movement. Appropriate, since he made Houston an architecture city.

Edited by H-Town Man

311xInlineGallery.jpg

Well, well, well, Mr. Finger has let the cat outta the bag. Hopefully this one comes to fruition.

37 stories is pretty significant. Especially for a downtown residential rental tower. If the occupancy is absorbed quickly, then I think that we will see more towers sooner rather than later--and I would not be surprised if many of them were apartments with the intention of converting to condos later.

It also looks as if Finger and Turnberry could be positioning themselves to have the tallest buildings completed in Houston since ??? When was the last time Houston has a building completed of at least 38 stories??

I can put any sort of speculation to bed. H-Town Man nailed it right off the bat with the west Central Park comment. Even the interior decor will hearken back to a particular hotel adjacent to Central Park.

Don't get your hopes up about this being the first of many residential highrises. The economics of CBD highrises are incredibly tough...did you see those rents? Makes for a very small market. I almost get the sense that this is Marvy Finger's personal gift to the city.

311xInlineGallery.jpg

Question? Where did this rendering come from? Was it part of the Downtown park sales pitch to show how Finger's project would look like in relation to the park or was this from somewhere else?

Question? Where did this rendering come from? Was it part of the Downtown park sales pitch to show how Finger's project would look like in relation to the park or was this from somewhere else?

Well it seems to be the same rendering released for the park, except that the Finger building actually has detail. So my guess is that it was by Finger.

Also here is the article in the Chronicle. I don't think I saw anyone else post it.

aa33vt.jpg

Edited by YakuzaIce

$100 million tower, huh? That adds up to about $650,000 per year in new city tax revenue...and there are at least 3 and a half more empty blocks surrounding this park that can add more revenue. For those that thought the city was wasting money by investing $8 million in this park, I would suggest $2 million+ in yearly tax revenue is a decent return on investment. And the bums? They seek the path of least resistence. All those valets and security and doormen at these places will be a real drag on unfettered begging. Anyone who spends any time near the Hilton or Four Seasons knows that.

The article suggested no one was worried whether this building gets built. I guess when Finger talks apartments, people listen.

I would have preferred something more "original" or at least "sleeker" but I ain't complaining. This apparently isn't going to be built on the cheap and it will add 347 units (around 800 or so folks) to downtown.

Most importantly, it will have 22,000 square feet of street level retail including a FOOD MARKET (the most needed thing in downtown), a wine store, and a cafe. Mr. Finger is a smart man. I am sure this cafe will have sidewalk seating to add to the vibrancy of the area.

All in all, this is a solid project by a man who knows how to get things done.

Edited by KinkaidAlum

Heh

Looks like what the Shamrock COULD have been.

Hopefully, it isn't what the Shamrock is/was.

I hope I didn't jinx it :P

is museum tower the only high-rise by the finger company?

To this point, yes.

Predictably unoriginal-just another bad copy of bad architecture.

Although I agree with you, we aren't the target market here. Stylistically, they had to go toward identifiably NYC-like architecture because that's where a disproportionately large portion of their market originates...and those folks will actually pay the kind of rents that are necessary for a CBD tower.

Heh

Looks like what the Shamrock COULD have been.

Hopefully, it isn't what the Shamrock is/was.

I hope I didn't jinx it :P

Don't worry. At this point, there's probably enough momentum to push financing through...and its much easier, by the way, to build an apartment tower than it is a condo tower if projections on paper work out.

If I recall, Shamrock was preselling at about the same time as the Royalton, Orion, Monaco, and a couple of others. In essence, the niche market that is high rise condos was divided among several presale opportunities so that very few of them were able to fly. The developers cannibalized each other's projects, and as a consequence of giving prospective condo buyers the runaround, a fairly large portion of the high rise market.

Predictably unoriginal-just another bad copy of bad architecture.

This is JAckson Ryan Architects MO... lots of Masonry, a classic feel, and not pushing the envelope.

They also did the musuem tower, st. martins., reckling park-Rice's baseball stadium.

That being said.. I think classic , masonry, and understated might go well with the park. It's still going to be a succesful project and maybe it will be a little more impresive looking when we get more renderings.

Edited by Highway6

If you're interested better sign up now to get the best view units. I can just imagine what the view from the "back" of the buldings will be.

I think that is actually one of the strengths of this site. There are views on both "sides" of the building. It appears that the buildings configuration will allow for great views of the new downtown park and Houston's sports venues on one side, and of the incredibly dense skyline of downtown on the other. Most of the buildings western facade / units will rise above Houston Center (the Park Shops), which allows for striking views of downtown's western flank (the towers along Louisiana and Smith), as well as the McKinney and Lamar corridors... I really don't think there is a "back" of the building.

Finger, as usual, has nailed it with this one. Of all the new high-rise residential projects that have gone up in recent years, the Museum Tower has by far the best performance level (rent, occupancy, lack of tenant rollover). The Finger Cos. know what they are doing - and the Park Tower is a huge endorsement of downtown.

Wow, what a great week this has been for our downtown... scratch that... for Houston! A new downtown park, a new residential tower in the CBD, and a new large-scale, mixed-use project on Post Oak Boulevard (with a Whole Foods flagship anchor)... let's keep up the momentum!

Edited by firstngoal

Most importantly, it will have 22,000 square feet of street level retail including a FOOD MARKET (the most needed thing in downtown), a wine store, and a cafe. Mr. Finger is a smart man. I am sure this cafe will have sidewalk seating to add to the vibrancy of the area.

this would be a great location for another eatzi's

If you're interested better sign up now to get the best view units. I can just imagine what the view from the "back" of the buldings will be.

I was just thinking the same thing when I saw that rendering a second time. Safe to assume that the park view would be used as a selling point. I wonder how much the cost difference will be between the park side and the Park Shops side.

My general thoughts on this project are good. It's hard to complain when you get an announcement like this for Downtown Houston. Not only is this more residential units for DT, but it is NEW construction. Even Dallas which is experiencing a major boom in both for sale and rental high rise construction, cannot claim a new residential building in the CBD, not to mention one that is 37 stories (I only use Dallas as the example because I'm very familiar with the development there and it has been a very active and hot market for new residential high rise construction, I'm not trying to start a pissing match. Also, I'm aware that the new 7-11 headquarters will have residential, but since this building will be exclusively residential that is the criteria I was using). Another huge thing for DT is getting the market. It's been said by people who know that is takes 2500 residents to support a grocer and 10,000 to support general retail. To get from one to the other you need that grocer in there. The Chron article said that DT has 3000+ residents but as far as I know there is no real grocery store. Since that is the case, the amount of residents in DT was probably not going to grow larger until that grocer moved in. It remains to be seen what kind of market will open, if it is similar to the Urban Market in DT Dallas, that would be a great step. http://www.urbanmarketdallas.com/

The negatives of this project as I see them are location and architecture. With the new park, this site becomes probably one of the top three development sites in the entire city. I say it's a negative because I wish this building was a for sale project. I realize there is a ground lease involved so ownership is out of the question, but I believe having a true condo tower in the premier part of the city would do more for DT than having a rental building. My second gripe is with the architecture. I realize Mr. Finger is taking a big risk right off the bat with this project, but I wish he took a greater risk with the architecture. A monumental building in this location as the front door to the park and with the back drop of the city, he had an amazing opportunity to create something truly unique in this city and quite frankly this country. I would have preferred something more modern in shape and material. Masonry buildings (brick) don't look right when they are built as skyscrapers. I'm all for masonry mid-rises and townhomes, etc, but I believe high-rises are the domain of steel and glass, to each his own...

The two negatives are minor and one is a matter of my personal taste. I will say one more thing about the architecture though, Houston has some great buildings in the skyline and that spirit of cutting edge architecture has been lost. The last architecturally significant building built was the Enron addition and although I love it, it wasn't that risque. It simply complemented the tower that was already there. I hope the next generation of buildings in DT are more cutting edge.

The positives far outweigh the minor negatives of this project. It is a great day for Houston and hopefully this will be a sign of things to come.

Very exciting stuff but the design really disappoints me, though I am not shocked to see what I call a mediocre design in such a high profile area in Houston today. I just don't understand why so many buildings that have gone up in Houston in the past 7-10 years seem to just be blah. I actually like the rendering released in the park proposal more than the actual design released by Finger.

My general thoughts on this project are good. It's hard to complain when you get an announcement like this for Downtown Houston. Not only is this more residential units for DT, but it is NEW construction. Even Dallas which is experiencing a major boom in both for sale and rental high rise construction, cannot claim a new residential building in the CBD, not to mention one that is 37 stories (I only use Dallas as the example because I'm very familiar with the development there and it has been a very active and hot market for new residential high rise construction, I'm not trying to start a pissing match. Also, I'm aware that the new 7-11 headquarters will have residential, but since this building will be exclusively residential that is the criteria I was using). Another huge thing for DT is getting the market. It's been said by people who know that is takes 2500 residents to support a grocer and 10,000 to support general retail. To get from one to the other you need that grocer in there. The Chron article said that DT has 3000+ residents but as far as I know there is no real grocery store. Since that is the case, the amount of residents in DT was probably not going to grow larger until that grocer moved in. It remains to be seen what kind of market will open, if it is similar to the Urban Market in DT Dallas, that would be a great step. http://www.urbanmarketdallas.com/

The negatives of this project as I see them are location and architecture. With the new park, this site becomes probably one of the top three development sites in the entire city. I say it's a negative because I wish this building was a for sale project. I realize there is a ground lease involved so ownership is out of the question, but I believe having a true condo tower in the premier part of the city would do more for DT than having a rental building. My second gripe is with the architecture. I realize Mr. Finger is taking a big risk right off the bat with this project, but I wish he took a greater risk with the architecture. A monumental building in this location as the front door to the park and with the back drop of the city, he had an amazing opportunity to create something truly unique in this city and quite frankly this country. I would have preferred something more modern in shape and material. Masonry buildings (brick) don't look right when they are built as skyscrapers. I'm all for masonry mid-rises and townhomes, etc, but I believe high-rises are the domain of steel and glass, to each his own...

The two negatives are minor and one is a matter of my personal taste. I will say one more thing about the architecture though, Houston has some great buildings in the skyline and that spirit of cutting edge architecture has been lost. The last architecturally significant building built was the Enron addition and although I love it, it wasn't that risque. It simply complemented the tower that was already there. I hope the next generation of buildings in DT are more cutting edge.

The positives far outweigh the minor negatives of this project. It is a great day for Houston and hopefully this will be a sign of things to come.

Sorry to say, but the era of urban wildcatters is over... In fact, I get the strong sense that the 20th century was the 'American' century in terms of architecture. The 21st will be the century of the 'East' as they develop their economies and feast from the garden of consumerism for the first time.

The U.S. is now in a slow-growth environment, both in terms of population and economic output. We've also been cultivating an 'old money' mindset. So rather than splurging on this or that, we're now buying housing like we'd buy an investment--and we like our investments to be liquid--hence the need for understated architecture and little uniqueness.

Our plight could be cured, but that isn't likely to happen any time soon. We have been poisoned with negative energy; the antidote is optimism.

This is very exciting!! It's great there's going to be first level retail. I hope this spurs other residential buildings to be built downtown. There are 6 other blocks in downtown where would love to eventually see residential towers built. The site where Shamrock Tower was supposed to be, the parking lot in between the Market Square Park and the Houston Chronicle building, and then there are 4 blocks right next to one another on the south side of down that front Main Street. I'm not sure which ones they are but they're are just begging for some development like Post Midtown, something 5-6 floors tall with retail fronting Main Street.

Not surpised with this project. Alot of us here saw this project coming due to the parameters of that lease.

In fact, I suggested this project might be hinted at in the Downtown Park renderings a week ago in the Downtown Park thread

A few observations......

3. The biggest observation of all....a few months ago, we learned that the parcel of land that sits directly west of the park, jammed in beween the the park and "The Park Shops," was purchased and that the length of the lease suggests that some sort of development will take place there, most likely a high-rise residential component.

In the the overhead rendering, there is building depicted there....in quite detail....perhaps too much to just dismiss it off as an inclusion to suggest future development, like the other buildings that flank the park, which are drawn in less detail.

Does the project manager and/or the architect know something in regards to the future development of the city block that sits in such a prime location? Maybe....time will tell.

Quite honestly....its a huge development that Im sure will get built. And thats all we could ask for here....just get the damn thing buitl. Downotwn's residential aspirations of the future have to start somewhere.....this is it!

Edited by tigereye

One thing I've always been curious about:

Why do they call it "The Park Shopping center?"

Never really thought about it until a couple of months ago when I drove by the park nearby...surely it's not THAT that they are refering to, right?

In fact, I suggested this project might be hinted at in the Downtown Park renderings a week ago in the Downtown Park thread

yeah and i said finger was going to build a high-rise several months ago when the deal was first announced :P

but seriously, unless our market goes straight into the pooper, it will be built and the park will be done. fyi - if you look at all of the high-rise rentals, fingers museum tower is the ONLY deal thats full; he knows what hes doing.

One thing I've always been curious about:

Why do they call it "The Park Shopping center?"

Never really thought about it until a couple of months ago when I drove by the park nearby...surely it's not THAT that they are refering to, right?

Interesting; however, when The Park Shopping Center was remodeled, the name was changed to Houston Center. Perhaps a bit early? :lol:

I must say that I am very excited about the new tower--even though I likely won't live in it.

I also must admit that I was hoping to see something aquite a bit more modern and edgy--not 3333 Allen style, but more like 2727 Kirby. However, I am just glad to have the potential new development!

I guess from the look of the building, any sort of decorative lighting is out, huh?

Maybe LandCo could cover that base! ;)

Edited by GovernorAggie

I must say that I am very excited about the new tower--even though I likely won't live in it.

I also must admit that I was hoping to see something aquite a bit more modern and edgy--not 3333 Allen style, but more like 2727 Kirby. However, I am just glad to have the potential new development!

I guess from the look of the building, any sort of decorative lighting is out, huh?

Maybe LandCo could cover that base! ;)

I guess i'm in the minority here, but I love neo classic architecture. I think it looks great in that placement, kinda like a mini central park.