Big Tex Storage At 1810 Richmond Ave.

RocketSci

Land is being cleared on the North side Richmond between Hazard and Woodhead, including the former Shell station and at least one of the older brick houses/apartments along the block. It looks like King Cole is still open, however. The block will be filled with a new self-storage facility.

Further down and across the street, the last of the old Lucky Burger building at Richmond and Mandell has been flattened, and is being hauled off in a dumpster (probably to add 6 more parking spots for Rev-El-Ry).

Except in front of the new apartments, narrow broken cobblestone sidewalks and mud make much of the street barely walkable. Dunlavy between Richmond and the HEB is a crater-filled mess, crowded with cars and pedestrians driven from the adjacent broken and muddy water-filled sidewalks. I had such hopes a decade ago that one day Richmond would become a walkable street with pedestrian-friendly businesses, but even if the infrastructure gets fixed some day there will be fewer actual destinations to walk to. 

Self-storage?  How disappointing...  I lived off Branard in that area until late 2012 or so, when we sold our townhouse.  Even in that short time there has been a massive change - new sidewalks, repaved streets, high dollar townhomes everywhere.  But hey, even people in $800K townhomes might need some storage.  Or maybe it's the folks in all of the new apartments nearby

Richmond is terrible, no doubt.  I've always been under the impression that it's sort of in a "wait and see" pattern on the light rail line, since it doesn't make sense to do any significant improvements that might get torn out "eventually" when the rail goes through

All's not lost, though.  Just a few blocks from there you've got all of the activity at the Menil, the new improvements for Mandell Park (which previously was basically a patch of grass), the awesome HEB, etc.  Shepherd Plaza's days are numbered, and no doubt something interesting will fill its place (of course I thought that 10 years ago and it's still hanging on).  The infrastructure will be improved one day (rail or not) and with the increasing density from new apartments and townhomes it will become more pedestrian oriented

We've been gone a few years and only live a couple of miles away, but to me you just can't beat that location

Richmond is terrible, no doubt.  I've always been under the impression that it's sort of in a "wait and see" pattern on the light rail line, since it doesn't make sense to do any significant improvements that might get torn out "eventually" when the rail goes through

During a neighborhood meeting on proposed capital improvements in 2007, I was told that no improvements would be made on Richmond sidewalks since the rail improvements would be done by 2012. Even then we knew it would be 2014 at the earliest. 

Yet, temporary improvements are always happening on roadways and bridges to ensure mobility. Business owners have also not been held accountable for the maintenance of their sidewalks and properties. 

• 3 weeks later...

They have torn down the old gas station and a couple of houses on the north side of Richmond Ave. just west of the King Cole liquor store. I don't know if they are

going to build a strip center or what. I do know that they cut down 4 otter 5 fairly large oak trees in the city easement in the last week. Does anyone know what is going on?

Went by and confirmed that they cut down at least 4 trees in the public right of way. I've sent pics to the Mayor and my City Council members.

Ql7l6zQ.jpg

mgyHgCU.jpg

Call the City Arborist. Council won't do squat. The Arborist can tell you if they had a permit or not.

Glad to hear it. I thought we had another developer that didn't care.

This is a disappointing use for this space.

I'm wondering now what all those people who were so upset about the rail

coming down Richmond and destroying the integrity of all of the little mom and pop stores.

It looks to me like they are being wiped out by developers instead.

Their argument doesn't hold water anymore. Many apartment and new developments later Richmond is like

driving in Afghanistan or Nigeria.

Just think we would have a new road and rail going down Richmond if it hadn't been for the little group of

naysayers, and John Culberson.

It just hasn't been the same since Freaky Foods morphed into the Shell station.

Ah, yes.  I remember when that little grocery was the only place open 24 hours. For those who got a craving for a tasty snack at an odd time, for some reason...

Not sad that it's gone but not happy that the stuff going in seems rather dull.  A pity about light rail....

I find it sad and ironic that one of the people who most vehemently fought the rail has either sold her

property on the north side of Richmond between Shepherd and Driscoll.

Her home, and business Brass Maiden, have been torn down.

These people who feared the rail now are leaving the neighborhood after fighting so hard to keep out

the rail. Its really tragic and look at Richmond now. You can hardly drive down the street for the bad

condition of the road.

Its a shame that a handful of misguided relatively intelligent people were able to keep what would have tied the whole city together with this last segment of the inner city rail system. It would have been finished by now.

I'll say it again, they fought the rail because they didn't want to lose the mom and pop retail

yet its disappearing to new developments along Richmond. They can't blame the rail for this.

I find it sad and ironic that one of the people who most vehemently fought the rail has either sold her

property on the north side of Richmond between Shepherd and Driscoll.

Her home, and business Brass Maiden, have been torn down.

These people who feared the rail now are leaving the neighborhood after fighting so hard to keep out

the rail. Its really tragic and look at Richmond now. You can hardly drive down the street for the bad

condition of the road.

Its a shame that a handful of misguided relatively intelligent people were able to keep what would have tied the whole city together with this last segment of the inner city rail system. It would have been finished by now.

I'll say it again, they fought the rail because they didn't want to lose the mom and pop retail

yet its disappearing to new developments along Richmond. They can't blame the rail for this.

Probably the single largest lost opportunity for the city 

Well, it's not the most beautiful development but I've seen uglier storage facilities (basically every Proguard one out there).  Actually ran across a rendering at the site below-

https://www.sparefoot.com/self-storage/news/3329-the-roll-up-weekly-self-storage-development-round-up-12-9-15/

WQer9Mkh.png

Big Tex Self Storage broke ground on a new 100,000 square-foot facility in Houston, TX. Located at 1810 Richmond Avenue on a site formerly occupied by a vacant service station, the facility is scheduled to open in August of 2016. As part of the development, Big Tex will develop pedestrian sidewalks and landscaping along Richmond Avenue which will be “given back as right of way to the City of Houston and its residents.” Big Tex currently operates two other facilities in the Houston area.

• 6 months later...

So sad about Lucky Burger. The ONLY barrel in Houston and not many left anywhere else. While the first set of redevelopment renderings were a gaudy take on the barrel, the actual new building looks pretty boring :(

• 3 months later...

Archived