Sign in to follow this  
Timoric

University Debates: Sports, Fundings, and Developments

Yet you're asking them to give up money, receiving nothing in return. That's something for nothing.

The only thing that I can think of that UH has to offer that would be an even exchange for PUF access is institutional independence. Yet, I haven't seen any proposals from UH boosters that even countenance giving something up to UT in exchange for that access. It's only "we demand this" and "you should do this because this is unfair", like UT or A&M should care about such things, not to mention the people in the state's other big cities who would receive no material benefit from such a change.

UH doesn't have the leverage to get PUF access, and yet its supporters are the ones making the demands. Can you not see how this appears extremely foolish to others?

Your generalizations and putting words in mouth aside, how would you propose to fund additional flagship universities? 

It just seems you are focused on the wrong things. 

Considering UT-RGV was just formed as an amalgamation of UTPA and UT-Brownsville, I think the state is already working on bolstering the system along the border. Kingsville is not the border.

I am mistaken, I don't know why I thought Kingsville was much closer to the border. Glad to hear they are bolstering the border region. 

Edited by kdog08

Your generalizations and putting words in mouth aside, how would you propose to fund additional flagship universities? 

It just seems you are focused on the wrong things. 

Incorporate all the schools into two flagship systems, just as they do in California. All the schools would have PUF access, but they wouldn't have independence in administration of the funds. It's an even trade-off.

What wrong things? Neither UT nor UH are my alma mater, so I don't have a horse in the race.

I am mistaken, I don't know why I thought Kingsville was much closer to the border. Glad to hear they are bolstering the border region. 

'tain't far.

We are roughly the same distance from downtown to Beaumont as Kingsville is from the border in terms of driving distance.  Culturally, Kingsville might as well be in the Valley.  

Incorporate all the schools into two flagship systems, just as they do in California. All the schools would have PUF access, but they wouldn't have independence in administration of the funds. It's an even trade-off.

What wrong things? Neither UT nor UH are my alma mater, so I don't have a horse in the race.

Yet you are fighting hard for the status quo. It simply isn't realistic to adopt the California system at this point, maybe several decades ago but that ship has sailed. 

So what else ya got?

Increase taxes? 

My only question with that is.. If a prestigious, nationally renown university like UT has trouble recruiting out of state students.. What makes you think a school like UH would have better luck?

I have no point of reference for UT, but UH has a lot of international students. So yeah, not just out of state, but as with Olajuwon, out of country, and out of continent.

Just thought I'd throw this out there...got a mailer from UH asking for donations (major problem with giving one time to any organization is you get bugged for the rest of your life).  Anyway, the nice card inside says that 17% of UH funding is from the State of Texas, 42% is from tuition and fees, and 41% is from private support.

I still don't think UT's long time goal is not a full fledged University, and I have no problem with two large full fledged public Universities in Houston, but it would be more fair if U of Houston got more funding.

It would be decades before a new university would catch up to uh, but with additional funding UH would not be seriously disadvantaged

14 hours ago, kbates2 said:

This more or less the best way to describe the Texas public university "system".  The state truly funds one system and it is broken into several.  This fact only further shows the ridiculousness of establishing a UT Houston as "competition" for UH.  There is one wallet; that wallet has leather dividers that allocate much more cash to one section than the next but to pretend that the wallet competing with itself is capitalism or anything other than a waste of money and a chance for UT fans to have their logo in this city is a pretty hard sell.

I just wonder whether if M.D. Anderson hadn't been established back in the 1940's and UT came here today and said, "We want to build a giant cancer research center here on Brays Bayou," would the UH folks say, "Get out of here! We're the university in Houston! And we'll probably build a cancer center ourselves, as soon as the darn state gives us more money!" If one of those wallet dividers is overflowing with money, you might as well take your share, before it goes to other cities instead.

• Like 5

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 1:11 PM, shasta said:

Fair and square...lol.

Did you not watch the actual state hearing where they admitted UNDER OATH  that everything about the deal was under the table, without the proper approval, without the knowledge of the UT Board of Regents, and that their renderings clearly showed more than just a academic satellite?

It was a Campus and they used PUF money to buy land OVER MARKET PRICE. Undesirable contaminated land and from a UT alum. 

Fair and Square...thanks for the laugh..lol

Next you are going to tell me that the PUF is also fair and square and making Texas' "other" public Universities fend for themselves for the majority of their existence is perfectly acceptable. 

But I'll go along with your theory that competition is good....Texas A&M should definitely build a 'Texas A&M- Austin' Campus TWO MILES from UT- Austin....Austin should be lucky to support that....right?  Where do I sign up?

Well maybe we just be really fair about it and eliminate all other university systems and just absorb them into Texas system and separately into the A&M system. The you can lose all control of UH and it'll just be A&M Houston or UT-Houston.

Go full California. Would you like that? My guess is not.

The PUF was set up as part of the land grant federal bill that was specifically set up to establish a flagship university and a mechanical/agricultural college. That's it.

If you want to talk about fair, maybe you can look at it in this way:

The UT system has a mandate to be pan-Texas. It's in every corner of the state. That's why it's funded w/ a large land endowment that was forked over to it by the feds/state.

UH does not have that mandate. It is a regional city college. A much smaller mandate. There's no UH Laredo or UH San Angelo or UH Texarkana. 

They should not be entitled to that money unless the state legislature decides that they need to revisit each system's mandate. But if they were to do that, my guess is they would probably streamline the systems and UH might actually be a big loser in that scrum.

I do so enjoy my neutrality in what used to be known as the Southwest Conference.  :ph34r:

• Like 2

On 8/27/2019 at 12:55 PM, gclass said:

the-eyes-of-texas-are-upon-you.png

^^^ just a STARK reminder...

il_794xN.1586531902_bhna.jpg

^^^ just a STARK reminder...

20 hours ago, gclass said:

a7f0fd3bb4928792b0a3e76487976c01--school

^^^ hey look, @shasta comes in BURNT ORANGE and even incorporates a bit of VITAMIN C... who knew?  seems a whole new twist to DRINK'IN THE KOOL-AID...

I seriously doubt that the city of Austin is making decisions that are best for University of Houston expansion into Austin, why do you guys act surprised when Houston is doing the same to protect the interests of its flagship public university?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, htownproud said:

Nothing like opening a thread to see a pissing match between local schools (again).

School rivalries are a sacred time-honored Texas tradition....

59443e208936657bc43bd2884b3fc198.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, gclass said:

texas_longhorns_basketball.png

giphy.gif

^^^ @august948 oh come now, go ahead and admit it... the REAL REASON that you hate us is because WE HAVE THAT SWAG!  we make it rain baby...

Please....I went to a school whose colors are green and gold...

MONEY-G-BAB-2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Since we are talking about architecture schools I did a quick google search. Let me guess, everyone got into Rice as well? 

https://www.archdaily.com/901435/the-best-architecture-schools-in-the-us-2019

image.png.52fadeab8b623f73c97e0d36d92ed788.png

https://www.architecturalrecord.com/articles/13611-top-architecture-schools-of-2019

image.thumb.png.e7ced3952229eed3c642f809aedc09c2.png

Edited by urbanize713
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, august948 said:

Baylor offered more money and prettier coeds.  

Pro: prettier coeds

Con: they're Baptists

Sorry, couldn't resist.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 9/28/2019 at 2:43 PM, mkultra25 said:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

You clearly don't know enough Baptist girls.  ;)

• Haha 1

On 9/28/2019 at 2:43 PM, mkultra25 said:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

pro: one of your classes gets to be 'spirituality' where the only requirement is to show up.

con: you will fail if you don't show up.

I didn't do that, but imagine explaining that one to your parents.

• Like 2

On 9/29/2019 at 6:12 PM, august948 said:

You clearly don't know enough Baptist girls.  ;)

Oh, I've known plenty. But generally not in the Biblical sense. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's starting to look like something besides a post apocalyptic ruin, finally.

This reminds me of what they did to the Zachry building on the Texas A&M campus. Complete gut job to just concrete shell, then they put some steel expansions up, and then finished the exterior leaving something totally unrecognizable. At least this project saves some of the historic facade.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, zaphod said:

It's starting to look like something besides a post apocalyptic ruin, finally.

This reminds me of what they did to the Zachry building on the Texas A&M campus. Complete gut job to just concrete shell, then they put some steel expansions up, and then finished the exterior leaving something totally unrecognizable. At least this project saves some of the historic facade.

As someone who takes classes in the Zachry building, I'm really glad the only remaining part of the old facade is a slab of the old wall that was incorporated into a piece of artwork and hung in the first floor. 😅

• Like 3

On 4/11/2020 at 11:46 AM, texan said:

As someone who takes classes in the Zachry building, I'm really glad the only remaining part of the old facade is a slab of the old wall that was incorporated into a piece of artwork and hung in the first floor. 😅

And, as a former student at A&M, I can still think of a huge percentage of ancient buildings that need to be either leveled or made into mini-museums.  Plus, heaven forbid, we should replace Kyle Field with something akin to the 21st century LOL !   Forgot to mention HOWDY !

And, the attacks by my other former Aggie classmates should begin in 3...2...1....

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

40 minutes ago, ArtNsf said:

Plus, heaven forbid, we should replace Kyle Field with something akin to the 21st century

When was the last time you were in Kyle Field?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gmac said:

Didn't they have a project to enlarge it by 5 or 600 seats a while back?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Ross said:

Didn't they have a project to enlarge it by 5 or 600 seats a while back?

I think they switched out the trough urinals and added 48 seats in obstructed view sections. Only cost $450 million, or thereabouts. What a bargain!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, ArtNsf said:

And, as a former student at A&M, I can still think of a huge percentage of ancient buildings that need to be either leveled or made into mini-museums.  Plus, heaven forbid, we should replace Kyle Field with something akin to the 21st century LOL !   Forgot to mention HOWDY !

And, the attacks by my other former Aggie classmates should begin in 3...2...1....

kyle-2.jpg

^^^ ..... 3... 2... 1... @ArtNsf psst... hey you, my good pal.  what on earth are you espousing about?  everyone here knows that i am an organically grown, pure TEXAS ORANGEBLOOD.  yet, here i am... being the very first to state... that without a doubt, the new an improved KYLE FIELD is a site to behold.  your newly renovated/expanded stadium is beautiful and quite opulent.  not to mention at times (when they are winning) quite dynamic as well.  the reason for the astronomical price tag of ($485mm) is because the had to re-do the ENTIRE STADIUM from start to finish.  whereby, at TEXAS, we have always updated and expanded DKR (in phases) every few years or so as needed.  

gallery_large.jpg

ETfNpsrX0AEKrhg?format=jpg&name=4096x409

^^^ currently under construction... TEXAS DKR/MONCRIEF NEUHAUS SEZ expansion/renovation project.  even under the DIRE EXTREMES of COVID-19, the work must go on.  this phenomenal project, once completed... shall make DKR the most technologically advanced NCAA football stadium in the nation.  the current price tag of this DESIGN/BUILD project is ($200mm+).  once completed, DKR shall once again reign as the stadium with the largest digital video board in the entire world.  MONCRIEF NEUHAUS (current home to TEXAS football operations/locker room/weight rooms/etc) has been gutted to the beams.  once the renovation is completed, this center shall once again reign as the most state-of-art football operations center in the nation... interior and exterior.  no-one else in the nation, shall harbor the exclusive condominium like SKY TOWERS bookending our exclusive video board like we shall have at DKR.  the expansion/renovation project of the DKR SEZ, is due to be completed (AUGUST 2021).  

• Like 4

16 hours ago, gmac said:

Just a few years ago.  Nope not impressed with a University as large as ours. Not at all.  But, I suppose, it is the people that make the stadium actually feel large and loud.  To that end, I guess I'll just have to live with it, without expressing any desire otherwise.

9 hours ago, monarch said:

kyle-2.jpg

^^^ ..... 3... 2... 1... @ArtNsf psst... hey you, my good pal.  what on earth are you espousing about?  everyone here knows that i am an organically grown, pure TEXAS ORANGEBLOOD.  yet, here i am... being the very first to state... that without a doubt, the new an improved KYLE FIELD is a site to behold.  your newly renovated/expanded stadium is beautiful and quite opulent.  not to mention at times (when they are winning) quite dynamic as well.  the reason for the astronomical price tag of ($485mm) is because the had to re-do the ENTIRE STADIUM from start to finish.  whereby, at TEXAS, we have always updated and expanded DKR (in phases) every few years or so as needed.  

gallery_large.jpg

^^^ currently under construction... TEXAS DKR/MONCRIEF NEUHAUS SEZ expansion/renovation project.  even under the DIRE EXTREMES of COVID-19, the work must go on.  this phenomenal project, once completed... shall make DKR the most technologically advanced NCAA football stadium in the nation.  the current price tag of this DESIGN/BUILD project is ($200mm+).  once completed, DKR shall once again reign as the stadium with the largest digital video board in the entire world.  MONCRIEF NEUHAUS (current home to TEXAS football operations/locker room/weight rooms/etc) has been gutted to the beams.  once the renovation is completed, this center shall once again reign as the most state-of-art football operations center in the nation... interior and exterior.  no-one else in the nation, shall harbor the exclusive condominium like SKY TOWERS bookending our exclusive video board like we shall have at DKR.  the expansion/renovation project of the DKR SEZ, is due to be completed (AUGUST 2021).  

sorry, but not being a close pal, I can say that I still remain unimpressed with the DESIGN and to a lesser extent maybe the size of BOTH stadiums.  But, we here in Texas do love to cling onto things from the past with so many sacred cows.  That's what I get for dreaming LOL !

• Like 2

9 hours ago, monarch said:

kyle-2.jpg

gallery_large.jpg

Yes, I have to say that THIS design is impressive to little old Aggie me.  I have always enjoyed more open air and spread out stadiums overall.  The "intimidation" factor of Kyle Field is due, IMHO only to the deep valley structural design and limitation that our university imposed many decades ago in building it.  Yes, it served a wonderful purpose at first, but you know a little bit of out of the box thinking does help, even in the sports power structure of Aggieland.  So much else of the university is so technologically advanced, why not bleed a little over into the realm of Aggie sports and stadium thinking ?  Oh that's right.  We chose to put tradition, no matter what it looks like to those that come to visit and those that attend, over evolving forward long ago, within the world of our sports teams.  Darn, there's that sacred cow thing again rearing it's ugly head.

• Like 3

On 9/27/2019 at 7:44 PM, arbpro said:

When this first broke I told you it would never happen. A few said I was delusional, that UT was boss and what it wants, it gets. Well, how did that work out? And even now, you continue to miss the point. There was NO objection to UT having a "research facility" but when renderings were leaked disclosing athletic facilities and diverse campus facilities, the true motive for the site was obvious. What was objected to was UT intending degree programs already offered by another public university. That constituted a waste of taxpayer funds and the motive therefor could only be to dilute the strength of the other public university. So if you are going to complain, be relevant. 

This parochialism is why Houston continues to self-sabotage. Boston, Chicago, Philadelphia all do fine with several major research universities nearby.

Both stadiums are incredible and the size of them truly remarkable. Pretty hard to justify any negative remarks about either stadium unless you don’t know about college football. Sorry but Texas has great stadiums! AT&T, NRG, DKR, and Kyle Field. 

• Like 7

How is Texas A&M getting away with investing hundreds of millions of dollars in our city without provoking Cougar-town to man the ramparts?  Is it going unnoticed because they aren't showing any soccer fields or tennis courts?   😉

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

How is Texas A&M getting away with investing hundreds of millions of dollars in our city without provoking Cougar-town to man the ramparts? 

Maroon's closer to red than burnt orange is, so it kinda sailed under the radar.

I laugh as UH has basically blanketed the city with satellite campuses way out in the suburbs now offering programs that were the backbones of some schools

But they feared UT knowing that would zap 20% of their students overnight - especially the ones who always wanted to go there but has the stay back at home so they went to UH just because.

5 hours ago, hbcu said:

But they feared UT knowing that would zap 20% of their students overnight - especially the ones who always wanted to go there but has the stay back at home so they went to UH just because.

Did you has the stay back at home (WTF?) when your friends were out and that’s why you were home posting dumb jabs on HAIF at 2 am while crying in your room or what? Go GF.

you know its true. You've seen the UT/A&M shirts on campus.