Sign in to follow this  
Timoric

University Debates: Sports, Fundings, and Developments

Yet you're asking them to give up money, receiving nothing in return. That's something for nothing.

The only thing that I can think of that UH has to offer that would be an even exchange for PUF access is institutional independence. Yet, I haven't seen any proposals from UH boosters that even countenance giving something up to UT in exchange for that access. It's only "we demand this" and "you should do this because this is unfair", like UT or A&M should care about such things, not to mention the people in the state's other big cities who would receive no material benefit from such a change.

UH doesn't have the leverage to get PUF access, and yet its supporters are the ones making the demands. Can you not see how this appears extremely foolish to others?

Your generalizations and putting words in mouth aside, how would you propose to fund additional flagship universities? 

It just seems you are focused on the wrong things. 

Considering UT-RGV was just formed as an amalgamation of UTPA and UT-Brownsville, I think the state is already working on bolstering the system along the border. Kingsville is not the border.

I am mistaken, I don't know why I thought Kingsville was much closer to the border. Glad to hear they are bolstering the border region. 

Edited by kdog08

Your generalizations and putting words in mouth aside, how would you propose to fund additional flagship universities? 

It just seems you are focused on the wrong things. 

Incorporate all the schools into two flagship systems, just as they do in California. All the schools would have PUF access, but they wouldn't have independence in administration of the funds. It's an even trade-off.

What wrong things? Neither UT nor UH are my alma mater, so I don't have a horse in the race.

I am mistaken, I don't know why I thought Kingsville was much closer to the border. Glad to hear they are bolstering the border region. 

'tain't far.

We are roughly the same distance from downtown to Beaumont as Kingsville is from the border in terms of driving distance.  Culturally, Kingsville might as well be in the Valley.  

Incorporate all the schools into two flagship systems, just as they do in California. All the schools would have PUF access, but they wouldn't have independence in administration of the funds. It's an even trade-off.

What wrong things? Neither UT nor UH are my alma mater, so I don't have a horse in the race.

Yet you are fighting hard for the status quo. It simply isn't realistic to adopt the California system at this point, maybe several decades ago but that ship has sailed. 

So what else ya got?

Increase taxes? 

My only question with that is.. If a prestigious, nationally renown university like UT has trouble recruiting out of state students.. What makes you think a school like UH would have better luck?

I have no point of reference for UT, but UH has a lot of international students. So yeah, not just out of state, but as with Olajuwon, out of country, and out of continent.

Just thought I'd throw this out there...got a mailer from UH asking for donations (major problem with giving one time to any organization is you get bugged for the rest of your life).  Anyway, the nice card inside says that 17% of UH funding is from the State of Texas, 42% is from tuition and fees, and 41% is from private support.

I still don't think UT's long time goal is not a full fledged University, and I have no problem with two large full fledged public Universities in Houston, but it would be more fair if U of Houston got more funding.

It would be decades before a new university would catch up to uh, but with additional funding UH would not be seriously disadvantaged

How is Texas A&M getting away with investing hundreds of millions of dollars in our city without provoking Cougar-town to man the ramparts?  Is it going unnoticed because they aren't showing any soccer fields or tennis courts?   😉

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

How is Texas A&M getting away with investing hundreds of millions of dollars in our city without provoking Cougar-town to man the ramparts? 

Maroon's closer to red than burnt orange is, so it kinda sailed under the radar.

I laugh as UH has basically blanketed the city with satellite campuses way out in the suburbs now offering programs that were the backbones of some schools

But they feared UT knowing that would zap 20% of their students overnight - especially the ones who always wanted to go there but has the stay back at home so they went to UH just because.

5 hours ago, hbcu said:

But they feared UT knowing that would zap 20% of their students overnight - especially the ones who always wanted to go there but has the stay back at home so they went to UH just because.

Did you has the stay back at home (WTF?) when your friends were out and that’s why you were home posting dumb jabs on HAIF at 2 am while crying in your room or what? Go GF.