University Debates: Sports, Fundings, And Developments

VicMan

Does anyone have any memories from times in University/College? Any strange acts of vandalism or teenage stupidity? Any tips on how to stay in college?

My sister is coming back from DePauw University (in Greencastle, Indiana) for Thanksgiving. She just graduated from Lamar High in Houston last May. She says that at DePauw a bunch of kids vandalized a deer statue donated by an alumn by making a failed attempt to saw off its legs. Then some kids rode the statue in the nude during Halloween.

• Like 1

Does anyone have any memories from times in University/College? Any strange acts of vandalism or teenage stupidity? Any tips on how to stay in college?

My sister is coming back from DePauw University (in Greencastle, Indiana) for Thanksgiving. She just graduated from Lamar High in Houston last May. She says that at DePauw a bunch of kids vandalized a deer statue donated by an alumn by making a failed attempt to saw off its legs. Then some kids rode the statue in the nude during Halloween.

That kind of stuff happens all the time, be thankful no one is up in a clock tower sniping students. Tell her not to worry about drunken acts of stupidity. Tell her to worry about her major and what her thesis is gonna be on. :)

i changed my major three times in two years (ended up with about three though when all was said and done) so it took me five years to get through full time.

not that those three things really did much for me job wise :rolleyes:

in the end, though, my only advice would be to study what you want, not what you think you should (or what your parents think you should, for that matter...). you'll end up much happier in the long run :)

i changed my major three times in two years (ended up with about three though when all was said and done) so it took me five years to get through full time.

not that those three things really did much for me job wise :rolleyes:

in the end, though, my only advice would be to study what you want, not what you think you should (or what your parents think you should, for that matter...). you'll end up much happier in the long run :)

I have fond memories of Arkansas State University. I graduated from there back in May of 1990. It was in Jonesboro, 67 miles northwest of Memphis, Tennessee. But if I could turn back the clock to when I graduated from high school (1976), I would have tried to get into Rice University.

I have fantastic memories of my days at UH. Almost all my friends today are people I met in school (and friends of friends and so on).

I loved walking across the beautiful campus numerous times every day, and I loved wandering around campus at night when it was quiet. I loved climbing to the roof of S&R-I to get a great view of Houston's skylines.

I'm amazed at how much UH has grown since I left school 10 years ago. A lot of positive changes going on in and around the campus.

My experiences at UH led me directly to the job that I'm still working today. I owe my career to UH. I definitely give back to the place that gave me so much.

I'm also surprised at how many people DIDN'T share my happy experiences at UH. People complain about lines, bureaucracy, incompetency in the administration...I never once experienced any of this at UH. I always found everyone easy to deal with and willing to do their job.

I had a GREAT college experience at Austin College. I'd never want to go back and repeat junior high or high school but my four years at AC -- I could go back and do that again. Of course it wouldn't be the same now that I'm older, but it was a blast back then. And I still feel a very strong connection to the school 10 years later. One of the things I liked was that it was a small school, so as a result it was possible to have a much higher degree of involvement in different areas of campus life than you'd have at a large university. Yet at the same time we had a lot of our own traditions and a top-notch academic program.

It is interesting how different schools have such different atmospheres. I work on a different campus every week for my job and see everything from highly-ranked graduate schools to tiny two-year junior colleges in very small towns. Some of the clients I work with really make me appreciate my college experience even more -- I visit a few campuses that are deader than a cemetery.

• 1 year later...
I have never felt the pride in the campus at UH that I did at A&M or even UT. That is why I chose not to go there. It didnt have the same energy as the bigger Texas schools.

To me it seems kind of dead, perhaps when I start my Masters there I will see it differently?

This is from "Texas Almanac 2006-07." Enrollment for Fall 2004: University of Houston-Downtown: 11,974. Rice University: 4,973. University of Texas-Austin: 50,403. Texas A&M-College Station: 46,111.

With such a big difference in the number of students between UT/A&M and UH/Rice, it makes me wonder why at one time they were all in the same (Southwest) conference in sports. I guess that sports classifications in college are not the same as in high schools.

This is from "Texas Almanac 2006-07." Enrollment for Fall 2004: University of Houston-Downtown: 11,974. Rice University: 4,973. University of Texas-Austin: 50,403. Texas A&M-College Station: 46,111.

With such a big difference in the number of students between UT/A&M and UH/Rice, it makes me wonder why at one time they were all in the same (Southwest) conference in sports. I guess that sports classifications in college are not the same as in high schools.

dude, you got the wrong school....UH main has around 35,000 students....the thing that i love about UH is its diversity and its classification as a "blue-collar" school....most of us here are in the lower to upper middle class and for many of us we are the first generation to attend college, so we are very similar..oh and the scholarships that are given out aren't too shabby eithe B) r

dude, you got the wrong school....UH main has around 35,000 students....the thing that i love about UH is its diversity and its classification as a "blue-collar" school....most of us here are in the lower to upper middle class and for many of us we are the first generation to attend college, so we are very similar..oh and the scholarships that are given out aren't too shabby eithe B) r

The almanac said that there are about a total of 35,000 students in the entire U of H system, including the branch campuses.

The same Texas Almanac maintained by the Texas Bong-Horns? That thing is one step left of Wikipedia.

UH is the third largest university in the state with 35K on the main campus.

There are 54K in the UH system.

UH System: http://www.uhsa.uh.edu/univ_and_prog/

all_school_logos.gif

I'm looking at it right now. Published by The Dallas Morning News. Sesquicentennial Edition 1857-2007.

Page 546--

University of Houston--Houston Dr. Jay Gogue, chancellor.

Enrollment, Fall Term 2004, 35,100

University of Houston-Clear Lake--Houston, 7,785

University of Houston-Downtown, 11,974

University of Houston-Victoria, 2,183

I didn't write this book. Maybe you can the DMN about any inaccuracies that you can see.

I'm looking at it right now. Published by The Dallas Morning News. Sesquicentennial Edition 1857-2007.

Page 546--

University of Houston--Houston Dr. Jay Gogue, chancellor.

Enrollment, Fall Term 2004, 35,100

University of Houston-Clear Lake--Houston, 7,785

University of Houston-Downtown, 11,974

University of Houston-Victoria, 2,183

I didn't write this book. Maybe you can the DMN about any inaccuracies that you can see.

35,100 + 7,785 + 11,974 + 2,183 = 57,042 students in the UH SYSTEM. There are 35,100 enrolled at the central campus.

Of those 35,100 I believe somewhere on the order of 5,000 live on campus. UH has plans to double that number in the next 10 years...they will break ground on a new 1,000 bed dorm later this year.

Most UH alumni will agree that UH desparately needs more beds on campus. That will do a lot to help school spirit now and in the future...and spirited students turn into spirited (and giving) alumni!

I attend a lot of sporting events at UH and I work out there regularly...I would have to say that there's a lot more school spirit today than there was when I was there in the first half of the 90's. I'm very happy to see that...

35,100 + 7,785 + 11,974 + 2,183 = 57,042 students in the UH SYSTEM. There are 35,100 enrolled at the central campus.

Of those 35,100 I believe somewhere on the order of 5,000 live on campus. UH has plans to double that number in the next 10 years...they will break ground on a new 1,000 bed dorm later this year.

Most UH alumni will agree that UH desparately needs more beds on campus. That will do a lot to help school spirit now and in the future...and spirited students turn into spirited (and giving) alumni!

I attend a lot of sporting events at UH and I work out there regularly...I would have to say that there's a lot more school spirit today than there was when I was there in the first half of the 90's. I'm very happy to see that...

That's what the book shows. Maybe I'm just dense on something.

I think most universities have seen a resurrgence in school pride and alumni pride. I don't know if it is the parody in sports, or just more people are enjoying their college experience because schools are becoming more progressive, but across the country alumni donations are up everywhere, and student activites academic or athletic are all up.

• 1 year later...

My 1st day of college class starts I am excited. Does not feel like when High school starts it's a big diffrence! What do yall remember about what your 1st day of college was like? Thank God I dont have an 8:00am class like my twin and my roomate!!! That was my birthday gift to myself no early classes!

I go to PVAMU all the way out on 290. Not how I wanted to spend my 18th birthday all the way out here getting settled in my dorm but the club can wait. LOL

My 1st day of college class starts I am excited. Does not feel like when High school starts it's a big diffrence! What do yall remember about what your 1st day of college was like? Thank God I dont have an 8:00am class like my twin and my roomate!!! That was my birthday gift to myself no early classes!

I go to PVAMU all the way out on 290. Not how I wanted to spend my 18th birthday all the way out here getting settled in my dorm but the club can wait. LOL

What I remember most...and I did have an 8:30AM class...was the drive down S. MacGregor to UH for the first time, shrouded in a slight haze of fog, and also trying to figure out which parking lots I was allowed or not allowed in.

Enjoy... college (not high school) is definitely the best time of your life... particularly if you live on campus and don't commute. I LOVED college. Definitely try and stay away from the 8am classes...and I found suffering through one 3 hour evening class was better than 2 afternoon 1.5 hour classes (if those types of classes are offered where you are). Also, I for one must say I learned more valuable lessons outside of the classroom than inside... not to say you should not study and stuff... that's why you are there. B)

I had 7:30 classes pretty much every semester, definitely my first. I remember loving getting the best parking spots, and being done with all my classes for the day by 11:30. The biggest adjustment is that your schedule (outside of classes) is completely up to you. Some people don't handle this well, but if you just make a point to set aside time for homework/studying and stick to it, you'll find you have way more free time than others without discipline. I never once stayed up past 11pm (11pm for finals, every other day it was all done by 4:30) to study or do schoolwork, everyone else I know had to pull some idiotic all-nighter at some point. Not my gig.

Get as involved as you can (or care to) with clubs/activities outside of class. That's one thing I wish I would have done a little more of, but what I did I enjoyed.

I had 8am classes because I was eager to learn in the beginning. Then, I ended up sleeping through my 8am's because my education extended well past midnight the night before. Plus I was on an island and the beach was 10 minutes down the hill so there wasn't a whole lot of incentive to be asleep by 10pm. HtownWxBoy nailed it in that much of your 'education' will come outside of the classroom. Many consider their formative years where they grew up as a youth. Not me. I was shaped entirely by my experiences at university, and the person I am today is wholly representative of what I learned there.

My most memorable memory of the first day of class...

WVU has a mass transit system called the PRT. Basically an automated people mover that has 5 or so stations throughout campus. During our orientation, there was always a guide with us who ensured we go on the right train.

On my first day of class, I walk up to the station, and I am presented several choices.

1) Beechnut

2) Walnut

3) Evansdale

4) Medical Center

I knew I wanted either 1 or 2, but I had no idea which one. I guess I just picked one and hoped for the best... I must have chosen correctly, but boy was I stressed until I saw buildings that looked familiar.